NorthSideSox72

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kiley prospect chat:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/kiley-mcdan...ts-chat-121214/

Comment From Bruce

What kind of season do you see for Rodon this year?

12:12

Kiley McDaniel: I’d expect him to open in AAA, be up in a month or so and be a solid league average pitcher with flashes of frontline performance at times

12:13

Comment From Chris

How many white sox in the top 100?

12:13

Kiley McDaniel: Solid 3 (Rodon, Anderson, Montas) then maybe Adams sneaks in at the end. I’ve said this in other places, but my list will be way more than 100 and it won’t be an even number.

Comment From Matt

Any ’14 draftees stick out as guys whose stock has gone up considerably since the draft?

12:34

Kiley McDaniel: Okay I’m gonna run through the top 10 rounds and name the guys that are beating expectations or look like particularly good values for where they were picked/paid.

12:34

Kiley McDaniel: Schwarber and Rodon are both on the high end of what was expected after the draft. Finnegan obviously returned value quicker than expected, but the stuff was about the same (health was his question). Kopech’s stuff is crisper than in much of the spring. Derek Fisher is showing some flashes of getting more out of his tools. Spencer Adams probably went too low and has ben as good as could be expected. Jacob Lindgren and Sam Travis have both had their tools play quicker/better than expected.

12:55

Comment From Dan

Tim Anderson or Peraza long term?

12:55

Kiley McDaniel: I’ll take Anderson

1:17

Comment From #Sparkle

Is Tim Anderson a top 50 prospect?

1:17

Kiley McDaniel: Probably

1:24

Comment From Nate

Micah Johnson not a top 100 guy for you?

1:25

Kiley McDaniel: For refernce, 50+ FV guys is well over 100, probably 150 or maybe more. Johnson is a 45 FV guy, so he’s probably 200-300.

And from Klaw chat.

Jesse (S Berwick, ME)

You think Francellis Montas stays as a starter and if so, what's his ceiling?

Klaw (1:44 PM)

I do, for now. Ace stuff, but lot of other things have to go right to get him there.

Gary (Chicago)

Rick Hahn would be crazy to trade Tim Anderson, right?

Klaw (1:09 PM)

Doesn't that depend on the return?

Klaw (1:10 PM)

I like Anderson, but he's not a top 5 or 10 prospect in baseball.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 13, 2014 -> 02:59 PM)
Surprised to see Law say Montas has ace stuff. Thats very encouraging.

Why? Keith Law doesn't hate the White Sox, never has, and previously was calling it liked he saw it. He didn't see Sale as anything other than a potential reliever and then stated that he never saw Sale's slider turning into a plus-plus pitch, like it has. He saw him as fastball-change.

Frankly, what the Sox have been able to do with Sale is incredible. There is no way any team other than the Sox saw him like this or he would have gone #1 overall.

Plus Montas is practically a Red Sox prospect anyways. :)

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 15, 2014 -> 04:16 PM)
Why? Keith Law doesn't hate the White Sox, never has, and previously was calling it liked he saw it. He didn't see Sale as anything other than a potential reliever and then stated that he never saw Sale's slider turning into a plus-plus pitch, like it has. He saw him as fastball-change.

Frankly, what the Sox have been able to do with Sale is incredible. There is no way any team other than the Sox saw him like this or he would have gone #1 overall.

That's a pretty bizarre scouting report for Chris Sale based solely on what we saw him throwing in 2010 when he was drafted and came up, which was fastball-slider according to both my memory and Pitch-F/X. He gradually added in the change later.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 15, 2014 -> 04:51 PM)
That's a pretty bizarre scouting report for Chris Sale based solely on what we saw him throwing in 2010 when he was drafted and came up, which was fastball-slider according to both my memory and Pitch-F/X. He gradually added in the change later.

I agree, and I have no idea what it was that Law saw, but that was his claim - the "good change, decent slider, big fastball, looks like a reliever" thing - and then he said "he got to the White Sox and added a 70 slider and now he looks like a true ace and yet White Sox fans won't let me hear the end of it."

These guys are wrong from time to time or don't see guys at their best. Frankly, that slider is sexy but I think that changeup is still his best pitch.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 15, 2014 -> 05:18 PM)
I agree, and I have no idea what it was that Law saw, but that was his claim - the "good change, decent slider, big fastball, looks like a reliever" thing - and then he said "he got to the White Sox and added a 70 slider and now he looks like a true ace and yet White Sox fans won't let me hear the end of it."

These guys are wrong from time to time or don't see guys at their best. Frankly, that slider is sexy but I think that changeup is still his best pitch.

Law always has issues with guys that have unorthodox deliveries that don't look consistently repeatable. He wasn't a fan of Danish either but said that if anyone can make it work with him as a starter it's the White Sox.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 15, 2014 -> 03:16 PM)

no, this is his way of CYA. Regardless of how Montas turns out he can say, "I told you he had Ace stuff and he became good" or "I said he had Ace stuff but it was the other factors that I mentioned for the reason he busted."

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 08:33 AM)

The article is fairly accurate. The are a couple of points that come to mind. 1. The elbow extension. While it's true the the more extended it is the more valgus stress and thus the vulnerability to elbow injuries. Sale though goes beyond the point to near full extension when the elbow is actually more stable because of the bones locking in place. This amy be why he gets elbow soreness from the flexor muscle but not ligament damage, yet any way. 2. They neglect to discuss the early part of the motion where he really quickly, much more than normal, flips his shoulder from internal rotation to external rotation. this will create a force of the humeral head moving forward in the joint thus "loosening" the joint prematurely. Similar to Danks or Doc Gooden. This has always been my concern. the shoulder is my concern for a significant injury.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 09:01 AM)
no, this is his way of CYA. Regardless of how Montas turns out he can say, "I told you he had Ace stuff and he became good" or "I said he had Ace stuff but it was the other factors that I mentioned for the reason he busted."

It is true here though. Montas has ace potential. The problem is he has a long way to go to get to realize that potential. Its the same idea as a Micker Adolfo. The kid has home run leader potential, but he has a ton of work to do to get there. The odds of it happening get much longer, the further away they are.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 09:56 AM)
It is true here though. Montas has ace potential. The problem is he has a long way to go to get to realize that potential. Its the same idea as a Micker Adolfo. The kid has home run leader potential, but he has a ton of work to do to get there. The odds of it happening get much longer, the further away they are.

They also get much longer the closer you get to the majors without having refined the stuff. This is a big year for Montas moving forward. Not that he's done as a potential starter if he doesn't get to that point this year, but you really, really want to see significant progress.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 05:07 PM)
They also get much longer the closer you get to the majors without having refined the stuff. This is a big year for Montas moving forward. Not that he's done as a potential starter if he doesn't get to that point this year, but you really, really want to see significant progress.

i think wasn't there talk about the end of this yr should tell whether he is a

starting pitcher or relief.