2014 Minor League catch all thread

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 04:49 PM)
I hate to say this, but I agree. the prospect while promising and talented, compare

to other systems, the sox is lacking.

we, the fans are excited, b/c there is really nothing to get excited about. now the

system is rebuilding and the sox have a few major prospects to get excited about.

look at last #1 top 10 for the sox. I am not talking about 2014 and Rodon, I am

talking about the yr beore.

got it, now rate it against the other teams #1 in the top 10. the sox are a long way still

from being really nice. however the sox do have some really young interesting

prospects.

here is another thing to look at. when Rodon and Montas moves on up. the systems

is going to take a major hit. look at the #11-20. see any major league prospect | players?

someone who will be ranked in the top 10-20 of all prospects????

You can say that about all teams though take example the Cubs. Will they have "much" of a system once Soler, Baez, Braynt, and Russell graduate? The prospects ranked 11-20 on teams prospect list will usually be utility player or low end starters/relievers.

Last year Erik Johnson was our number 1, and before his implosion, he was looking like a #3 solid starter at worst, so you can't put much stock into that either.

My point is, if Rodon, Montas, Anderson, Adams, Hawkins become serviceable MLBers than we have nothing to worry about because the core will be young enough that the system could take a hit for a few years and build it back up through the draft.

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 05:57 PM)
You can say that about all teams though take example the Cubs. Will they have "much" of a system once Soler, Baez, Braynt, and Russell graduate? The prospects ranked 11-20 on teams prospect list will usually be utility player or low end starters/relievers.

Last year Erik Johnson was our number 1, and before his implosion, he was looking like a #3 solid starter at worst, so you can't put much stock into that either.

My point is, if Rodon, Montas, Anderson, Adams, Hawkins become serviceable MLBers than we have nothing to worry about because the core will be young enough that the system could take a hit for a few years and build it back up through the draft.

Heck, if we just get a couple of those guys as solid above-average MLB players, that will open up the team to be able to fill their remaining gaps through free agency - but a couple of those guys have to succeed and then we need to avoid buying a huge FA bust. Combine those and at the least we're competing for the division.

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 04:53 PM)
Hahn, until I can see it somewhere else, screwed up last yr. he should have

had and signed some other fa's to be as backup, for the "what if" injury.

this past yr system was kind of bare. imagine if the sox had some reliable

players who could've step him. well, who could tell but I will say, the team

would have done better.

now with last yr as a learning tool, I hope the sox does not make the same

mistake. plus wow, next yr draft is starting to look exciting with lots of talent.

You can say he didn't sign enough depth, but Hahn knew they weren't going to compete next year. Maybe he wanted to see if the young guys could step in in place of injuries or failures.

For example, maybe we wouldn't of seen Bassitt this year.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 10:57 PM)
You can say that about all teams though take example ~1. - the Cubs. Will they have "much" of a system once Soler, Baez, Braynt, and Russell graduate? The prospects ranked 11-20 on teams prospect list will usually be utility player or low end starters/relievers.

~2. - My point is, if Rodon, Montas, Anderson, Adams, Hawkins become serviceable MLBers than we have nothing to worry about because the core will be young enough that the system could take a hit for a few years and build it back up through the draft.

pls I hope you didn't take offense.

ref:

1. of all teams why pick the sCrubs. I hate them.

2. I am in total agreement there. those will have moved on up.

I am talking the state of the system is based on what we the fans have graded the

system to an earlier sample. we do not have the luxury of comparing the system

to a previous better system with the sox org, b/c the sox haven't had a good system

before.

I have a natsy habit of looking for the other side of the discussion.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 04:59 PM)
Heck, if we just get a couple of those guys as solid above-average MLB players, that will open up the team to be able to fill their remaining gaps through free agency - but a couple of those guys have to succeed and then we need to avoid buying a huge FA bust. Combine those and at the least we're competing for the division.

Exactly.

Rodon (ETA next year)

Montas (ETA late next year, early 2016)

Hawkins (2016-2107)

Adams (2017-2018)

Danish (2016)

Anderson (2016)

Those are just my eta's on some of those players. If those guys can succeed, and Hahn keeps getting talent in the upcoming drafts like he has been. I would not be worried at all about the state of the team.

Plus, you can use these players as trade chips to get proven, young talent back that could be part of the core.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 11:01 PM)
You can say he didn't sign enough depth, but Hahn knew they weren't going to compete next year. Maybe he wanted to see if the young guys could step in in place of injuries or failures.

For example, maybe we wouldn't of seen Bassitt this year.

with all due respect. I do not buy that.

I could maybe go with the injuries situation, maybe..... for on

purpose

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 05:04 PM)
pls I hope you didn't take offense.

ref:

1. of all teams why pick the sCrubs. I hate them.

2. I am in total agreement there. those will have moved on up.

I am talking the state of the system is based on what we the fans have graded the

system to an earlier sample. we do not have the luxury of comparing the system

to a previous better system with the sox org, b/c the sox haven't had a good system

before.

I have a natsy habit of looking for the other side of the discussion.

Lol I do too hate the Cubs, can't stand them but it was just an example of a team with a good system.

And I can see your point that we haven't seen a good system in a long time, but that's what scouts and Hahn to keep developing. Because right now, we are seeing results of some players that can be seen to have good futures in the MLB.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 11:07 PM)
Lol I do too hate the Cubs, can't stand them but it was just an example of a team with a good system.

And I can see your point that we haven't seen a good system in a long time, but that's what scouts and Hahn to keep developing. Because right now, we are seeing results of some players that can be seen to have good futures in the MLB.

the system has always been terrible even under kw.

Hahn is wanting to develop the system to supplement the majors.

here is 1 cliché I remember

if the sox build the team the fans will come

if the fans comes the team will have the money to

pay for the talent.

which come first??? I vicious catch 22.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 11:08 PM)
I understand. I was just giving a theory. I think it could of definitely been an option.

that is the point, I like Hahn and I am a fan. however I will not be

blinded b/c I like him.

he is running a billion dollar (forbes ratings) org and he has to be

prepare for any situation. he needed to be prepared. they could not

use the fans did not come out as an excuse. put the product on the field

and the fans will be there.

well the team is rebuilding, not an excuse. there were too many talented

players in fa's to field a team.

remember 1 thing. chi white sox fans are demanding, and knowledgeable.

don't try to pull the wool over the eyes of a sox fan.

Comparisons to other farms is irrelevant. What really matters is whether or not the Sox farm is improving. If a comparison is to be made it should be this years farm to last years farm. Is the overall quality of talent trending upward, downward or stangnant? Is the farm able to plug some holes on the Sox team, yet maintain the overall quality? A perfect example would be the Cardinals.

The important thing is that the Sox farm has improved compared to last year and I think Hahn and the Sox scouts will continue to keep that trending in the right direction.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 11:21 PM)
Comparisons to other farms is irrelevant. What really matters is whether or not the Sox farm is improving. If a comparison is to be made it should be this years farm to last years farm. Is the overall quality of talent trending upward, downward or stangnant? Is the farm able to plug some holes on the Sox team, yet maintain the overall quality? A perfect example would be the Cardinals.

The important thing is that the Sox farm has improved compared to last year and I think Hahn and the Sox scouts will continue to keep that trending in the right direction.

damn.... I really hate agreeing with you.

but you are right. Hahn and company is doing a great job, and if anybody ever

realize what I kept on saying in many, many post of get more viable options. do

not let last yr happen again. now you have my answer as to why I keep spouting

that.

OH MAN THIS IS GREAT DISCUSSION. :headbang

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 05:21 PM)

Completely agree. Farm is definitely trending upward.

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 05:25 PM)
damn.... I really hate agreeing with you.

but you are right. Hahn and company is doing a great job, and if anybody ever

realize what I kept on saying in many, many post of get more viable options. do

not let last yr happen again. now you have my answer as to why I keep spouting

that.

OH MAN THIS IS GREAT DISCUSSION. :headbang

:lol: Stop agreeing, it makes for lousy drama! :P

I love that the Sox are adding young talent through drafting and trades. I can see why a few posters have suggested trading a guy like Q and a few have even mentioned Sale. Now I'm not in favor of trading either but for a team that's rebuilding, I can see how one would be tantelized by the idea. IMO, that's too much like the cubs rebuild and as a Sox fan I'm really not interested in that long of a wait. Not that things are going horribly on the North side, they have some very good looking talent.

I must admit tho, I don't allow myself to become attached to any players so IMO, anyone is available for the right price.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 11:37 PM)
Completely agree. Farm is definitely trending upward.

yes ..... and that is all Hahn's doing. I can't wait till the first trade, waiver

signing and even the int's signing.

It is going to be 1 hell of an offseason.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 11:41 PM)

I love that the Sox are adding young talent through drafting and trades. I can see why a few posters have suggested trading a guy like Q and a few have even mentioned Sale. Now I'm not in favor of trading either but for a team that's rebuilding, I can see how one would be tantelized by the idea. IMO, that's too much like the cubs rebuild and as a Sox fan I'm really not interested in that long of a wait. Not that things are going horribly on the North side, they have some very good looking talent.

I must admit tho, I don't allow myself to become attached to any players so IMO, anyone is available for the right price.

alright, I can disagree.

trading Q or even Sale will shoot the team in the foot. look at SFG and they main

rotation. solid, solid even to have 3 world series rings.

I said this last yr in mid season. the sox can go to the playoff with 3 above avg

sp's. support that with 2 other sp's if it is needed to go 7 games. I would be really

confident in the sox top 3. now the question is who is #3???

man when I first got on this site I had 1 brutal fight with almost everyone. I will

not be attached and will trade anyone, only if the rtn will help the team to get to the

next level. I still stand by that assessment.

but the sox have that foundation now. just finish with the right smart moves.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 05:41 PM)

This is every Cubs fan problem. In love with their prospects, when in reality, 2 or 3 of them might actually be successful.

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 05:42 PM)
yes ..... and that is all Hahn's doing. I can't wait till the first trade, waiver

signing and even the int's signing.

It is going to be 1 hell of an offseason.

It is going to be a hell of an off season. I'm with you, I can't wait for the first moves to happen. One because this is what I want to do to with my life. I'm trying to get into some front office of baseball after school.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 11:49 PM)
This is every Cubs fan problem. In love with their prospects, when in reality, 2 or 3 of them might actually be successful.

It is going to be a hell of an off season. I'm with you, I can't wait for the first moves to happen. One because this is what I want to do to with my life. I'm trying to get into some front office of baseball after school.

and God willing, I truly wish the best for you. and of course several more

world series titles. :D

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 05:48 PM)
alright, I can disagree.

trading Q or even Sale will shoot the team in the foot. look at SFG and they main

rotation. solid, solid even to have 3 world series rings.

I said this last yr in mid season. the sox can go to the playoff with 3 above avg

sp's. support that with 2 other sp's if it is needed to go 7 games. I would be really

confident in the sox top 3. now the question is who is #3???

man when I first got on this site I had 1 brutal fight with almost everyone. I will

not be attached and will trade anyone, only if the rtn will help the team to get to the

next level. I still stand by that assessment.

but the sox have that foundation now. just finish with the right smart moves.

I remember last winter, TUC and I had gone back and forth over Sale. I said that for a big haul I would deal Sale in a heartbeat and TUC disagreed big time. Now that Q has solidified himself behind Sale in the rotation and with the Sox having Rodon to add to those guys, it would take a haul likely never seen in MLB history for me to go along with the idea. I look back and laugh how TUC and I went back and forth, I miss that dude and hope he comes back soon now that the seasons over.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 05:49 PM)

Oh man you are not kidding! Seems every cub fan I come across wants to talk to me about cub prospects like I know them intimately and actually give a s***. They are oblivious even when my Sox hat is staring straight at them! Its cool to see cub fans have guys to get excited over but I really only give a s*** about the Sox and what they have to get excited about as indicated by the SOX on my hat. ;)

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 05:56 PM)
and God willing, I truly wish the best for you. and of course several more

world series titles. :D

Thank you.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 06:24 PM)
I remember last winter, TUC and I had gone back and forth over Sale. I said that for a big haul I would deal Sale in a heartbeat and TUC disagreed big time. Now that Q has solidified himself behind Sale in the rotation and with the Sox having Rodon to add to those guys, it would take a haul likely never seen in MLB history for me to go along with the idea. I look back and laugh how TUC and I went back and forth, I miss that dude and hope he comes back soon now that the seasons over.

The foundation of Sale, Quintana, and Rodon is scary special.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 06:56 PM)
It is and then throw the Montas' potential into the mix and it makes ya think, holy s***!

Not just Montas. Add Danish, Adams, and Luis Martinez to that mix as well. Best the pitching in the system has been in a loooong time.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 1, 2014 -> 01:03 AM)
Not just Montas. Add Danish, Adams, and Luis Martinez to that mix as well. Best the pitching in the system has been in a loooong time.

too far into the future for those to join the conversation of playoff.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 1, 2014 -> 12:56 AM)
It is and then throw the Montas' potential into the mix and it makes ya think, holy s***!

it all depends on if he is a rp or sp.

if it is sp, he needs more time in the minors. next yr is not in the

future for him.

rp. I think he can break camp with the sox.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 1, 2014 -> 12:35 AM)
Thank you.

The foundation of Sale, Quintana, and Rodon is scary special.

I will be a wait and see kind of guy with him. I don't want to expect too

much from him in the beginning.

that is why I want a strong pitcher who can be a #3 sp. on most teams he

would be a #2 sp.