2014 Minor League catch all thread

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone who throws a punch as a player in a minor league baseball game is a total ass. Suspend anyone who threw a punch for the rest of the season. You're embarrassing both clubs, their organizations and turning away some of the fans in attendance.

It's one thing to have benches clear, swear at each other and have guys hold you back, but all out flailing of arms really isn't acceptable.

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ Jul 28, 2014 -> 07:43 AM)
Tyler Saldhino out for the year. Tommy john surgery

That's a shame. Kid had a very good year for the Knights. On the other hand, that means more ABs for Sanchez, Semien and Johnson.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 28, 2014 -> 01:23 PM)
FutureSox.com ‏@FutureSox 2m

Roster move: OF Michael Danner, 34th rd pick this year, promoted from AZL to @Intimidators

Interesting move. I wonder why Danner over Michael Suiter. Suiter has been killing the ball in Arizona

Danner is about to turn 23, and he's a bench guy in AZL, so I wouldn't read too much into this. Probably just Kanny needs a 4th OF or a temporary injury fill-in.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 28, 2014 -> 01:26 PM)
Danner is about to turn 23, and he's a bench guy in AZL, so I wouldn't read too much into this. Probably just Kanny needs a 4th OF or a temporary injury fill-in.

Oh ok. Makes sense then. Thank you, I've been impressed with this Suiter kid though, I think he deserves a promotion.

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ Jul 28, 2014 -> 06:43 AM)
Tyler Saldhino out for the year. Tommy john surgery

Bummer. There goes one September call up I was hoping for. I feel bad for him, it might have happened.

That could easily be a death knell for Saladino's career. There is a lot of luck and timing involved in breaking through as a mid-level (or worse) prospect, and the time for him was probably now. He might be in a position next year where it simply doesn't matter how well he plays.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 28, 2014 -> 02:32 PM)
That could easily be a death knell for Saladino's career. There is a lot of luck and timing involved in breaking through as a mid-level (or worse) prospect, and the time for him was probably now. He might be in a position next year where it simply doesn't matter how well he plays.

I still think he might get chance as a backup MI and platoon partner for Conor .330/.396/.543 - .939 all though his splits against right handers are pretty good too .300/.353/.455 - .808.

Law watched the Dash play and commented on 2 Sox prospects.

Says Hawkins' hit tool is still awful, despite improved stats (he whiffed all 3 AB and couldn't lay off BBs in the dirt - sounds familiar in these parts).

Says Rodon's range is "unbelievable" with a plus arm and he thinks he'll be able to hit well enough, albeit with no power.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 12:34 AM)

Says Hawkins' hit tool is still awful, despite improved stats (he whiffed all 3 AB and couldn't lay off BBs in the dirt - sounds familiar in these parts).

Says Rodon's range is "unbelievable" with a plus arm and he thinks he'll be able to hit well enough, albeit with no power.

I have a feeling Rondon is going to be similar to Brendan Ryan. Which means he will have a place on a MLB roster at some point

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 12:34 AM)

Courtney Hawkins, the Chicago White Sox’s first-round pick in 2012, still looks awful, even though he’s having a much better season statistically while repeating the Carolina League. Hawkins was punched out three times against Manaea — after being punched out three times in the Carolina League All-Star Game, so he’s 0-for-9 with six whiffs in the two games I’ve seen this year — struggling with breaking balls down that he couldn’t lay off and with fastballs up that he couldn’t reach. Hawkins gets his front foot down very late and there’s no weight transfer, although it’s an improvement over where he was in his first instructional league, when he was drifting over his front side rather than striding and turning his hips. He’s too young to write off — he’ll be 21 in November — but it’s a grade 30 or (if you’re kind) 35 hit tool right now and there isn’t enough progress in pitch recognition for me to be optimistic.

Winston-Salem Dash shortstop Cleuluis Rondon, who was traded to the White Sox last July, made several spectacular plays to his right, showing unbelievable (dare I say Andrelton Simmons-esque?) range and a plus arm. The youngest position player on the Dash’s roster, Rondon didn’t hit at all for low-A Kannapolis but has been better in a much smaller sample at the higher level. Most notably, he has cut his strikeout rate so far by about a third. He looks like he’ll have enough bat speed to handle good velocity, and had a single and a double off Manaea, both well-struck, although I doubt there will ever be even fringy power here. This kind of defender with good contact rates is pretty promising, though, as he won’t have to do that much more with the bat to become a regular.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/keith-law/...e-sox-prospects

This time next year, Rondon and Rodon might be #1 / #2. I honestly wouldn't be surprised. I absolutely love Rondon's upside. The value of an elite defensive shortstop in this new era of less offensive baseball is just huge.

Flurry of roster moves...

--Scott Snodgress to AAA

--Tony Bucciferro, Jefferson Olacio, Nelvin Fuentes to AA

--Brandon Brennan, Brandon Hardin to A+

--Nick McCully released

Kanny at 24 on the roster now. Have to think Jake Peter or Zach Fish may be headed up at some point soon, if not both.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 27, 2014 -> 09:10 PM)
Anyone who throws a punch as a player in a minor league baseball game is a total ass. Suspend anyone who threw a punch for the rest of the season. You're embarrassing both clubs, their organizations and turning away some of the fans in attendance.

It's one thing to have benches clear, swear at each other and have guys hold you back, but all out flailing of arms really isn't acceptable.

Brawls are awesome.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 03:16 PM)
Flurry of roster moves...

--Scott Snodgress to AAA

--Tony Bucciferro, Jefferson Olacio, Nelvin Fuentes to AA

--Brandon Brennan, Brandon Hardin to A+

--Nick McCully released

Kanny at 24 on the roster now. Have to think Jake Peter or Zach Fish may be headed up at some point soon, if not both.

Likely will be a pitcher.