2014 Minor League catch all thread

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 10:08 AM)
I just read that Sox signed a 22 year old catcher named Ryan Plourde. Never heard of him.....

Played 4 years at Fairfield (MAAC), started at catcher all four years and set a school record for games played. Posted .900+ OPS all his last three years. There's a YouTube highlight reel of sorts of him, if you are so inclined (can't link from work to YT).

22 years old, undrafted. Just filler for AZL most likely.

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 10:46 AM)
Brian McTaggart ‏@brianmctaggart 5m

Astros Minor League pitcher Bobby Doran has been traded to White Sox. He's headed to Triple-A Charlotte.

There it is, the trade we've all been waiting for.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 10:46 AM)
Brian McTaggart ‏@brianmctaggart 5m

Astros Minor League pitcher Bobby Doran has been traded to White Sox. He's headed to Triple-A Charlotte.

Big right hander, only 25.

Baseball America prospect hot sheet.

Ravelo "In the team photo"

Rangel Ravelo, 1b, White Sox: Scouts everywhere have had trouble figuring out what to do with Ravelo. He’s a plus hitter and an on-base machine, but he has shown limited home-run power at Double-A Birmingham. That’s the kind of skill-set that is a perfect fit for a second baseman or center fielder, but not ideal for a righthanded-hitting first baseman. However, Ravelo went 11-for-23 (.478) this week with three more walks and now ranks second in the Southern League in average (.323) and on-base percentage (.411). His hitting ability is strong enough to find some sort of big league role.

QUOTE (Bruce_Blixton @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 02:23 PM)
I'd really like to see what happens when Jim Thome gets to work with him, maybe he can unlock that untapped power we're all waiting for. Is he still in Charlotte working with Davidson or is he more of a roving instructor?

There are some parallels between those two. Both were 3B who went to 1B for defensive reasons, both hit for high average but only hints of power through their middle-minors careers, both were said to have power potential but didn't show it for a few years, both hit plenty of doubles.

One could do an interesting parallel study there.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 02:03 PM)
There are some parallels between those two. Both were 3B who went to 1B for defensive reasons, both hit for high average but only hints of power through their middle-minors careers, both were said to have power potential but didn't show it for a few years, both hit plenty of doubles.

One could do an interesting parallel study there.

I knew Thome started as a 3B but I never realized that he was more of a hitter for average in the minors, I always assumed that he was a masher from start. That makes things a lot more interesting, now I'd like to see Ravelo promoted to Charlotte sooner rather than later.

QUOTE (Bruce_Blixton @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 04:45 PM)
I knew Thome started as a 3B but I never realized that he was more of a hitter for average in the minors, I always assumed that he was a masher from start. That makes things a lot more interesting, now I'd like to see Ravelo promoted to Charlotte sooner rather than later.

Really? I had no idea either. I know he was a real skinny dude when he was a rookie, but I too assumed he was always a big HR/OBP guy as a prospect.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 13, 2014 -> 12:41 PM)
Max Wildstein ‏@MaxWildstein 7m

#Reds Chien-Ming Wang will opt out of his #MiLB deal and will sign with the #ChiSox, sources tell @GSIntegration. #MLB

lol

Is Rienzo staying in the Charlotte rotation? They will have Rienzo, Wang, Hanson, Johnson, Axelrod, Heath, and Doran. Am I missing something? I would imagine Sanchez will also go back to AAA and the Sox will call up a reliever? Who gets the call this time?

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 13, 2014 -> 05:41 PM)
Max Wildstein ‏@MaxWildstein 7m

#Reds Chien-Ming Wang will opt out of his #MiLB deal and will sign with the #ChiSox, sources tell @GSIntegration. #MLB

lol

for the life of me, I can't figure out if this is a good or bad move. I can see the upside.

I guess as our system is anything or anybody can help.