2014 NFL Draft Thread

the issue with McCown is the bears cant even negotiate with him until every other team gets a chance to talk to him because of how his contract was drawn up. So his heart may be with the Bears, but another team could blow him away and the Bears wont even get a chance to pay him too much to be the backup. It is totally out of the Bears hands right now, McCown holds all of the chips

McCown isn't leaving the Bears to be a backup somewhere else. He's only leaving for a starters job, and a starters job is going to pay more than the Bears' can afford to spend on a backup. The only issue is if the team that wants to try to lowball their offer to the point that it isn't significantly more than a backup's salary and then McCown may actually decide to stay put. Otherwise I think he has to take an offer to start somewhere.

I guess there's a small chance that he's made enough money and invested it well to the point that an extra $1M doesn't mean much to him, but I think it would be awfully hard to tell your family you are turning down $1M.

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Feb 26, 2014 -> 02:17 PM)
McCown isn't leaving the Bears to be a backup somewhere else. He's only leaving for a starters job, and a starters job is going to pay more than the Bears' can afford to spend on a backup. The only issue is if the team that wants to try to lowball their offer to the point that it isn't significantly more than a backup's salary and then McCown may actually decide to stay put. Otherwise I think he has to take an offer to start somewhere.

I guess there's a small chance that he's made enough money and invested it well to the point that an extra $1M doesn't mean much to him, but I think it would be awfully hard to tell your family you are turning down $1M.

I agree with this, but there are definitely places in the NFL that could put him in as a stopgap starter immediately. I dont think he wants to leave chicago to backup Geno Smith, but he could probably step in and start in Houston, Cleveland, Jacksonville, and a few others and they can effectively redshirt their drafted QB if they want to.

Or, they could sign him to be the starter and he could get beat out by the rookie a la Matt Flynn. Either way, the Bears only had to pay him exactly one more dollar to prevent any handwringing over it, and they didnt.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 26, 2014 -> 02:43 PM)
I agree with this, but there are definitely places in the NFL that could put him in as a stopgap starter immediately. I dont think he wants to leave chicago to backup Geno Smith, but he could probably step in and start in Houston, Cleveland, Jacksonville, and a few others and they can effectively redshirt their drafted QB if they want to.

Or, they could sign him to be the starter and he could get beat out by the rookie a la Matt Flynn. Either way, the Bears only had to pay him exactly one more dollar to prevent any handwringing over it, and they didnt.

Though it would have cost them a LOT more than that in terms of salary cap space.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 26, 2014 -> 03:25 PM)
Really? One dollar would have cost them considerably more SC space? Honest question

Yes. There is a special quirk for a veterans minimum contract. He has an 840k contract, but a 580k hit. One dollar more, and he has a full hit. That goes for every veterans minimum contract.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 26, 2014 -> 05:47 PM)
Yes. There is a special quirk for a veterans minimum contract. He has an 840k contract, but a 580k hit. One dollar more, and he has a full hit. That goes for every veterans minimum contract.

I think it's safe to assume that McCown will not be getting the veteran's minimum.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 26, 2014 -> 09:25 PM)
Um, how did I never know about Lindsey Duke. Wowza.

The video isn't the greatest quality... but I liked George O'Leary's quote: "Obviously you haven't seen his girlfriend. She deserves 6 million googles"

What's the deal with Tajh Boyd, where do you guys think he'll go?

Wasn't he viewed as a first round talent last year?

All he did last season was improve his completion% from 67.2 to 68.5, his passer rating from 165.6 to 168.7, and he threw 2 less ints. Yet now the CBS prospect rankings has him as a 7-UDFA.

I know there are "questions" about his size, but it's not like he shrunk.

Bears worked him out, if they move on from Josh and got him in the 6th round I'd be thrilled.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (scs787 @ Mar 5, 2014 -> 01:46 PM)
What's the deal with Tajh Boyd, where do you guys think he'll go?

Wasn't he viewed as a first round talent last year?

All he did last season was improve his completion% from 67.2 to 68.5, his passer rating from 165.6 to 168.7, and he threw 2 less ints. Yet now the CBS prospect rankings has him as a 7-UDFA.

I know there are "questions" about his size, but it's not like he shrunk.

Bears worked him out, if they move on from Josh and got him in the 6th round I'd be thrilled.

3rd to 4th rounder. He struggled against good defenses, he has questionable height, and he played with arguably the best playmaker in the country in Watkins. I think there's a lot of Geno Smith to his game, which is both a good and bad thing, but drafting him any higher than the 3rd is a reach.

I strongly doubt he goes undrafted.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 5, 2014 -> 05:00 PM)
3rd to 4th rounder. He struggled against good defenses, he has questionable height, and he played with arguably the best playmaker in the country in Watkins. I think there's a lot of Geno Smith to his game, which is both a good and bad thing, but drafting him any higher than the 3rd is a reach.

I strongly doubt he goes undrafted.

Watkins literally could take a 2 yard pass and turn it into 30-40 yards like it was nothing. People use that again Boyd.

Clemson also runs a very specialized passing attack that scares some scouts.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Mar 27, 2014 -> 10:13 AM)
This whole thing is such a circus. He's got music blasting, George Bush is there. Looks like about 200 other people.

I love that he's throwing in shoulder pads and a helmet.

I think the top 3 QBs are set, but with Carr in the top 3 now and Teddy falling out. I still really like Teddy, but as a QB in a pretty well controlled environment, you can't NOT tear up your pro day. Unless he really impresses someone in a private workout, I think he's falling out of the 1st.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 28, 2014 -> 09:18 AM)
I think the top 3 QBs are set, but with Carr in the top 3 now and Teddy falling out. I still really like Teddy, but as a QB in a pretty well controlled environment, you can't NOT tear up your pro day. Unless he really impresses someone in a private workout, I think he's falling out of the 1st.

If someone doesn't draft Bridgewater because he had a bad pro day they should be fired on the spot.

Mike Mayock still says the best pro day he ever saw was Jamarcus Russell.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 28, 2014 -> 09:18 AM)

If he is there when the Bears are on the clock, they had better take him. I don't care if we have Cutler signed long term, you don't let a guy like that walk away.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 28, 2014 -> 09:40 AM)
If he is there when the Bears are on the clock, they had better take him. I don't care if we have Cutler signed long term, you don't let a guy like that walk away.

He still spins the ball better than most of the QBs coming out IMO.