2014 NFL Draft Thread

QUOTE (farmteam @ Apr 26, 2014 -> 01:02 PM)
JJ Watt, too.

Barr definitely seems boom or bust.

I know for Mizzou they typically go and recruit a body type that they like and then build them up with muscle.

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Apr 30, 2014 -> 08:52 AM)
He probably doesn't fit the Norv Turner system, but I think you make it work for someone like Bridgewater.

I honestly don't think Teddy is going to get drafted in the 1st. I really liked Teddy coming out, but the more I see and read about him, the more I am reminded of Jimmy Clausen. I think he falls to the 2nd and it's certainly possible he's not even among the top 5 QBs taken. Of course, he could still just as easily be the 2nd or 3rd QB taken too.

I think the Vikings want Bortles or Mettenberger

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 30, 2014 -> 10:04 AM)
I honestly don't think Teddy is going to get drafted in the 1st. I really liked Teddy coming out, but the more I see and read about him, the more I am reminded of Jimmy Clausen. I think he falls to the 2nd and it's certainly possible he's not even among the top 5 QBs taken. Of course, he could still just as easily be the 2nd or 3rd QB taken too.

I think the Vikings want Bortles or Mettenberger

I've said it before and I'll say it again: If you draft Teddy Bridgewater and put him in a West Coast Offense, you will have yourself a top 10 NFL QB. Teams are scared because he doesn't "look the part" and his hands are small. They are worried about durability. Accuracy is the #1 trait in a QB in my opinion, and he's the most accurate. The fact that some teams are supposedly salivating over a bum like Tom Savage but questioning Teddy is crazy to me.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 30, 2014 -> 10:09 AM)
I've said it before and I'll say it again: If you draft Teddy Bridgewater and put him in a West Coast Offense, you will have yourself a top 10 NFL QB. Teams are scared because he doesn't "look the part" and his hands are small. They are worried about durability. Accuracy is the #1 trait in a QB in my opinion, and he's the most accurate. The fact that some teams are supposedly salivating over a bum like Tom Savage but questioning Teddy is crazy to me.

I don't think I've ever been so torn on a prospect like I have with Teddy. On the one hand, his body of work is incredible, but the offseason workouts he's put up really do make you question a lot. He hasn't interviewed well, he's held out of workouts and he was poor in the workouts he did, he has small hands, he's really skinny and not particularly fast or athletic. How much of him is Tom Brady and how much of him is Jimmy Clausen?

I would hate to see him end up in New England because that would be a great contingency plan for Brady too.

So we're doing a community mock draft over on talkbears and I was put in charge of the Bears. I went with Donald in the first and faced a real interesting choice in the 2nd.

I had planned to go FS but HHCD, Pryor, Buccanon, Ward, and Joyner were all gone. Terrence Brooks, who I kinda like, was the top ranked FS there...butttt I had RaShede Hageman staring at me as the clear BPA.

I really think Ratliff should be a rotational player at this point in his career, and Hageman offers the versatility Emery likes(Can play anywhere on the DL).

Given the situation who would you take? Hageman? Brooks? Marcus Roberson? Phillip Gaines? "Shock the world" with Allen Robinson or Austin Serafain-Jenkins?

I went all Tommie Harris/Tank Johnson on the draft and went with Hageman with guys like Ed Reynolds, Dion Bailey, Tre Boston, Antone Exum, and Brook Vereen in mind to play centerfield.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Apr 30, 2014 -> 01:09 PM)
So we're doing a community mock draft over on talkbears and I was put in charge of the Bears. I went with Donald in the first and faced a real interesting choice in the 2nd.

I had planned to go FS but HHCD, Pryor, Buccanon, Ward, and Joyner were all gone. Terrence Brooks, who I kinda like, was the top ranked FS there...butttt I had RaShede Hageman staring at me as the clear BPA.

I really think Ratliff should be a rotational player at this point in his career, and Hageman offers the versatility Emery likes(Can play anywhere on the DL).

Given the situation who would you take? Hageman? Brooks? Marcus Roberson? Phillip Gaines? "Shock the world" with Allen Robinson or Austin Serafain-Jenkins?

I went all Tommie Harris/Tank Johnson on the draft and went with Hageman with guys like Ed Reynolds, Dion Bailey, Tre Boston, Antone Exum, and Brook Vereen in mind to play centerfield.

Depends on what CB's are on the board. You could go with a guy like Pierre Desir right there. If offense, I would go Jace Amaro if available. Hageman would be a steal at 51 though.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 30, 2014 -> 01:17 PM)
Depends on what CB's are on the board. You could go with a guy like Pierre Desir right there. If offense, I would go Jace Amaro if available. Hageman would be a steal at 51 though.

With the big board we're using over there Roberson, Gaines, Breeland, Baptiste, J. Watkins and Desir were all there and ranked in the top 100. Rankings are of course arbitrary but Hageman was ranked 33rd, Gaines 57th, Roberson(Who I like better) 64th, Brooks 72nd. I just couldn't pass on Hageman.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Apr 30, 2014 -> 12:09 PM)

Tell you what, this is probably a bit of an unpopular choice, but I think I would have gone with Sefarian-Jenkins if all of those Safeties were gone. TE is clearly a need. Many would argue that it's not a 2nd round need because of having Bennett. But heck, having 2 TE's who are huge and capable of being difference makers in both the pass and run game would be a very nice thing to have. Plus, if Bennett goes down, the TE position becomes incredibly weak.

Hageman would be a very good value at 51, but the DT depth is so great in this draft that if you did want to take a 2nd one, there should be plenty of solid guys, who could contribute as rookies, in rounds 3-5.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Apr 30, 2014 -> 04:24 PM)
Tell you what, this is probably a bit of an unpopular choice, but I think I would have gone with Sefarian-Jenkins if all of those Safeties were gone. TE is clearly a need. Many would argue that it's not a 2nd round need because of having Bennett. But heck, having 2 TE's who are huge and capable of being difference makers in both the pass and run game would be a very nice thing to have. Plus, if Bennett goes down, the TE position becomes incredibly weak.

Hageman would be a very good value at 51, but the DT depth is so great in this draft that if you did want to take a 2nd one, there should be plenty of solid guys, who could contribute as rookies, in rounds 3-5.

Having two good tight ends is never a bad thing. It's a further extension of the offensive line with the ability to catch a few passes, it opens up more underneath passing routes (which can also, to some extent, allow guys like Marshall and Geoffriees to stretch the field with fewer guys around them), and it allows you to motion one of those guys or use them in different spots, such as full back or motioning out of the backfield.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 30, 2014 -> 03:54 PM)
Having two good tight ends is never a bad thing. It's a further extension of the offensive line with the ability to catch a few passes, it opens up more underneath passing routes (which can also, to some extent, allow guys like Marshall and Geoffriees to stretch the field with fewer guys around them), and it allows you to motion one of those guys or use them in different spots, such as full back or motioning out of the backfield.

My thoughts exactly. It can create some major match-up problems like the Patriots had with Gronk and Hernandez.

This is great stuff:

“Just say in theory you go down six picks,” Emery said. “That means you have to count the pick you’re giving up as one and now you’re going to pick six picks later. So you have to have six picks on the board that have that graded value, that you’re comfortable taking. You have to come up with six players where I would take any one of those six. And you will rank order them. And you may end up with the last one on the list. But that last one? You better want. Or you shouldn’t trade. So if you don’t have that number of players that you feel good about, you shouldn’t trade.”

A trade up, Emery hinted, seems less likely for the Bears next week.

“Trade ups are expensive,” he said. “Obviously. You’d just have to feel like the player that you’re trading up for makes a dynamic difference in your team.”

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ May 1, 2014 -> 04:29 PM)
Yeah, if you want to trade up into the first round, you better really like the player you are getting. Probably a QB.

I text with a Vikings fan and he asked me who I think the Bills would be trading up for (because they're reportedly interested in Watkins). All I said was that the only guy worthy of trading up for in this draft, at least at the top, is Clowney, and that's if you believe [you can/he will] translate his talent onto the field because he could be an absolute monstrosity. I think he can and will, others don't.

Clowney and M. Williams bookending a three headed trio of Dareus, K. Williams, and Branch makes for a nasty, nasty OLine, plus you can also still rush Hughes off the edge too.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 1, 2014 -> 02:41 PM)
I text with a Vikings fan and he asked me who I think the Bills would be trading up for (because they're reportedly interested in Watkins). All I said was that the only guy worthy of trading up for in this draft, at least at the top, is Clowney, and that's if you believe [you can/he will] translate his talent onto the field because he could be an absolute monstrosity. I think he can and will, others don't.

Clowney and M. Williams bookending a three headed trio of Dareus, K. Williams, and Branch makes for a nasty, nasty OLine, plus you can also still rush Hughes off the edge too.

Heck of a dline, but I don't know how well they would do on the other side of the football. Sorry...but I figure it will personally hurt you that a post you made was corrected by me :)

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 1, 2014 -> 04:41 PM)

Interesting. I could see the Bills moving up for Greg Robinson if he fell to like #5. Robinson is a stud.

With the draft being two weeks later, it makes it even more painful to me that it's now 4 days long. I really miss just bingeing on a Saturday and Sunday. I don't even remember what college football is at this point, let alone it's players.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 5, 2014 -> 09:06 AM)
With the draft being two weeks later, it makes it even more painful to me that it's now 4 days long. I really miss just bingeing on a Saturday and Sunday. I don't even remember what college football is at this point, let alone it's players.

It's still 3 days. Thursday, Friday, Saturday.

What has turned me off from watching the draft more than anything is the five minutes from the time the team makes a pick to the time it is announced, so that the networks can get in commercials and the talking heads can get through all of their material on the last pick. If they announced all picks within a minute of the actual pick, I'd be more inclined to watch. As it stands, I'll watch the first 2-3 picks, then switch over to something else (probably the Sox game since they are on WGN Thursday) until about 2-3 picks before the Bears pick.