2014 NFL Draft Thread

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 26, 2014 -> 10:23 AM)
I got a nice chuckle out of all the pro scouts in this thread. Thanks, guys!

I get what you're saying because, at times, it makes me chuckle too... but to be fair, I have about as good of a track record as any of the "draft experts" and I'm sure a lot of others do too. It's really not that difficult to self-scout the skill positions if you know enough about football and watch film. The hardest for me is OL. QB is obviously pretty tough too.

I really hope one of Benjamin or Beckham are there for Kansas City to draft at 23

I need to not read the MLB and NFL draft threads consecutively. All I thought after reading this post was that there was no f***ing way the Royals were good enough last year to get the 23rd pick.

So...if you're in Houston's shoes, you clearly need a QB but you don't think the QBs on the board are the best players and either Clowney or that OT from Auburn are.

Are there any QB's obviously available via trade or FA that could allow them to not go into next season with Schaub as a starter? Vick is the only one that comes to my mind, any other obvious candidates?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 26, 2014 -> 11:35 AM)
So...if you're in Houston's shoes, you clearly need a QB but you don't think the QBs on the board are the best players and either Clowney or that OT from Auburn are.

Are there any QB's obviously available via trade or FA that could allow them to not go into next season with Schaub as a starter? Vick is the only one that comes to my mind, any other obvious candidates?

McCown, if they want to draft a qb late and groom him

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 26, 2014 -> 11:35 AM)

They could take Clowney and then take a QB in the second round or later.

Schaub will not be on the Texans next year. He is set to make 11 million and there is no way the Texans are going to pay that.

The QB free agent market and trade market is awful. You would be in bad shape with any of those guys starting for you next year.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 26, 2014 -> 11:59 AM)
There a few decent 2nd round QB's out there. Mettenberger and Murray should both be there when they select next. Carr may even drop that far. It wouldnt be a bad idea.

Rumor has it the Browns are extremely high on Derek Carr. I don't think he slips out of the 1st round.

Also I'd love it if the Bears used a middle round pick on Aaron Murray.

QUOTE (Sonik22 @ Feb 26, 2014 -> 12:01 PM)
Rumor has it the Browns are extremely high on Derek Carr. I don't think he slips out of the 1st round.

I just think it would be funny if the Texans drafted Carr.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 26, 2014 -> 12:59 PM)
There a few decent 2nd round QB's out there. Mettenberger and Murray should both be there when they select next. Carr may even drop that far. It wouldnt be a bad idea.

Yep, was about to say the same thing. I don't think it would be a bad idea at all for the Texans to wait until Round 2. It's kind of like what the Chargers did in 2001 when they passed on Vick, traded down to take LT, and then grabbed Brees with the 1st pick of the 2nd round.

Not saying the Texans will necessarily trade down, but you get my drift.

QUOTE (Sonik22 @ Feb 26, 2014 -> 01:01 PM)

I'm a big fan of Murray. Wouldn't draft him too early (based on the Bears' other needs/holes), but if he made it to the 4th round, I'd be all over it. With him, it's hard to judge his draft status right now due to the ACL tear. If he can work out reasonably well at his Pro Day, then he'll probably move back up draft boards. But if his knee takes longer to heal than he hopes, it could definitely keep him down.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 26, 2014 -> 08:00 PM)
Didn't really sound like he wanted to leave Chicago. It was either retirement or Chicago, unless someone threw an obscene number at him.

I've read that Jets are really interested.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Feb 26, 2014 -> 12:51 PM)
I'm a big fan of Murray. Wouldn't draft him too early (based on the Bears' other needs/holes), but if he made it to the 4th round, I'd be all over it. With him, it's hard to judge his draft status right now due to the ACL tear. If he can work out reasonably well at his Pro Day, then he'll probably move back up draft boards. But if his knee takes longer to heal than he hopes, it could definitely keep him down.

I love Murray. Dude just has a cannon and isn't afraid to use it. I think he'd make a great contingency plan for someone, especially looking towards 2015.

I'm really hoping with the sheer number of talented QBs in this draft that the Bills end up with one of them in the 3rd or 4th round. Tuel is a 3rd string QB at his very best and if you can push him off the roster, all the better.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 26, 2014 -> 09:26 AM)
I definitely think they'll both be there.

---

Going to St. Louis for the draft to watch with (at least) a couple football psychos. I love the draft.

Beckham more likely. I've heard rumblings of Benjamin going as high as 16(?) to Pittsburgh.

If they're gone I'd completely support trading down and taking Jordan Matthews in the 2nd

QUOTE (Sonik22 @ Feb 26, 2014 -> 01:01 PM)

If I'm Cleveland, I'm taking Sammy Watkins at 4, a QB (Carr?) with their 1st round pick from Indianapolis and then someone like Carlos Hyde or Tre Mason in the 2nd round. You add that to what they have coming back and they are a potential playoff team IMO

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Feb 26, 2014 -> 01:32 PM)
If I'm Cleveland, I'm taking Sammy Watkins at 4, a QB (Carr?) with their 1st round pick from Indianapolis and then someone like Carlos Hyde or Tre Mason in the 2nd round. You add that to what they have coming back and they are a potential playoff team IMO

Jesus, could you imagine having Gordon AND Watkins? s***, throw Mark Sanchez back there and they'd be fine.

McCown will be the epitome of an insurance plan for the Bears.

If he's signed and Cutler plays every game, we'll all be b****ing about the amount we gave McCown that could fixed X position.

If he's signed and Cutler gets hurt, we'll say we would have been willing to pay even more to not have our season automatically go down the drain.

If he's not signed and Cutler gets hurt, we'll b**** and moan about how Emery was too tight with his cash.

If he's not signed and Cutler is healthy, we won't notice his absence and will have a false sense of security for the future.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Feb 26, 2014 -> 01:32 PM)

That would be the smart thing to do, but its the Browns. Just like their coaching hire, it will be a horrible decision followed by terrible interviews.

McCown will be the epitome of an insurance plan for the Bears.

If he's signed and Cutler plays every game, we'll all be b****ing about the amount we gave McCown that could fixed X position.

If he's signed and Cutler gets hurt, we'll say we would have been willing to pay even more to not have our season automatically go down the drain.

If he's not signed and Cutler gets hurt, we'll b**** and moan about how Emery was too tight with his cash.

If he's not signed and Cutler is healthy, we won't notice his absence and will have a false sense of security for the future.

Maybe a few people, but I think most understand that the NFL has a salary cap and the money not spent on McCown would be going to another player and not in the team's pocket.

Also, even if you assume that McCown would be the league's highest paid backup and if he leaves you would have the league's lowest paid backup, that difference isn't going to be enough to make or break some other unit on the field.

the issue with McCown is the bears cant even negotiate with him until every other team gets a chance to talk to him because of how his contract was drawn up. So his heart may be with the Bears, but another team could blow him away and the Bears wont even get a chance to pay him too much to be the backup. It is totally out of the Bears hands right now, McCown holds all of the chips

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 26, 2014 -> 01:58 PM)
That would be the smart thing to do, but its the Browns. Just like their coaching hire, it will be a horrible decision followed by terrible interviews.

I like Pettine, and he's been successful everywhere he's gone, and Shanahan is typically a solid play caller too.

They were asking kids at the combine how many uses they could find for a paper clip or a brick, and I think that's actually Pettine doing that. People made fun of it, but they're not bad questions. He runs a very disguised and aggressive hybrid defense, so he's seeing how many different ways you can see to attack the same problem.