Teen Sues Parents

Reddy

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 7, 2014 -> 09:40 AM)
Yes but those large orgs had tens of thousands of qualified workers doing 100 times the good that those Occupy kids did.

s***, there were religious orgs that probably did the same amount of work. Volunteers in general are great, but Occupy was a portion of a tiny drop in a bucket. In the case of Sandy, money was incredibly important due to the vast desolation of so much infrastructure and the complete collapse of local economy.

I agree. He should be proud of the help he and his group provided however it wasn't most of the work.

My brother lives in Mississippi 1 1/2 hours from NO. He didn't have utilities for 3 months after Katrina. We made three trips down there with fuel and generators as well as food while being shot at from the sides of the roads. People would cut down trees to block the roads to rob trucks.

I'm proud of how we helped his small area but that is a drop in the bucket compared to the large groups with help. Reddy should be proud of his volunteering and helping but also keep it in perspective.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 7, 2014 -> 09:52 AM)
I agree. He should be proud of the help he and his group provided however it wasn't most of the work.

My brother lives in Mississippi 1 1/2 hours from NO. He didn't have utilities for 3 months after Katrina. We made three trips down there with fuel and generators as well as food while being shot at from the sides of the roads. People would cut down trees to block the roads to rob trucks.

I'm proud of how we helped his small area but that is a drop in the bucket compared to the large groups with help. Reddy should be proud of his volunteering and helping but also keep it in perspective.

Katrina was literally the model of how not to handle a disaster. The only good thing that came from it was figuring out what not to do. They STILL havent full recovered.

You stories are probably really interesting on that topic, it already sounds f***ing crazy.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 7, 2014 -> 09:50 AM)
FWIW you can find Reddy's posts from late 2012 and early 2013 in some filibuster threads talking about how red cross etc. were taking time for photo ops while the Occupy groups were actually helping people.

...and I think we all know Reddy means well, and is obviously passionate about helping, but I think he's failing to see the forest for the trees here. I'm sure they helped, but they did not help nearly as much as large organizations, EVEN if those organizations have their fair share of corruption/theft and/or are busy doing photo ops.

Who would you rather help you?

A) Group of young go-getters that mean well, but have little to no resources who will NOT stop to photo-op or blog about their helpfulness?

B) Group of trained volunteers with massive backing and resources, including heavy machinery, but want to stop once in a while to take a picture for the NYT?

I'll take B, thanks.

FWIW you can find Reddy's posts from late 2012 and early 2013 in some filibuster threads talking about how red cross etc. were taking time for photo ops while the Occupy groups were actually helping people.

I don't doubt that it happened. While the Red Cross does do a lot of good, quite a bit (too much IMO) of their receipts go to staff and marketing as opposed to actual aid. Still, they are able to provide the volume of financial resources in a mega crisis that Occupy couldn't come close to matching.

Still, if you're one of the victims who had Occupy folks bringing you stuff while the Red Cross people were getting pictures taken, not much is going to change your opinion of the two groups.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 7, 2014 -> 09:56 AM)
Katrina was literally the model of how not to handle a disaster. The only good thing that came from it was figuring out what not to do. They STILL havent full recovered.

You stories are probably really interesting on that topic, it already sounds f***ing crazy.

Your right. I never really thought I would have a discussion about whether or not to shoot at people. Most of us opted to shoot high and try to keep the others down while we got away. Luckily no one was ever hit severely hit. Driving in the back of a pickup with 200 gallons of fuel behind you while people were shooting was terrifying. We've still never told our wives. They would not have been happy about us going multiple times.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 7, 2014 -> 10:02 AM)
Your right. I never really thought I would have a discussion about whether or not to shoot at people. Most of us opted to shoot high and try to keep the others down while we got away. Luckily no one was ever hit severely hit. Driving in the back of a pickup with 200 gallons of fuel behind you while people were shooting was terrifying. We've still never told our wives. They would not have been happy about us going multiple times.

You can shoot a fuel can with a gun all you want, it will not explode from that. Lead does not sparks like in the movies. ;) It'll make it all leak out, though. heh

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Mar 7, 2014 -> 10:00 AM)
Irresponsible parents. I'm going to sue my kids if they don't want to go to college...hopefully it won't come down to that.

I like that. It's going to be response if they want to live at home after 18 if they are not going to school.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Mar 7, 2014 -> 10:04 AM)
You can shoot a fuel can with a gun all you want, it will not explode from that. Lead does not sparks like in the movies. ;) It'll make it all leak out, though. heh

I feel much better now. :lol:

I love this thread.

We've learned:

-Yes this is the only lawsuit of it's kind but it is DEFINITELY indicative of an entire generation of laziness that no soxtalker can relate to because they all bootstrapped themselves up and worked a food job in their life.

-No, we definitely need to keep things in perspective about occupy's contributions to Sandy relief. Though they may have helped a little, it was nowhere near the work done by larger organizations like red cross.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 7, 2014 -> 10:07 AM)
I love this thread.

We've learned:

-Yes this is the only lawsuit of it's kind but it is DEFINITELY indicative of an entire generation of laziness that no soxtalker can relate to because they all bootstrapped themselves up and worked a food job in their life.

-No, we definitely need to keep things in perspective about occupy's contributions to Sandy relief. Though they may have helped a little, it was nowhere near the work done by larger organizations like red cross.

Just for the record, I refused to do that. :D

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 7, 2014 -> 10:07 AM)
I love this thread.

We've learned:

I don't think we all bootstrapped ourselves up because we worked a food job, but I do feel that working that food job made up want something more/better.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 7, 2014 -> 10:10 AM)
It's funny that in the US kids are expected to be responsible and on their own, while in much of Europe, kids live at home until they are married and that's the norm.

In Latin culture, that's normal too. I left home at 26, my folks never asked me to leave. Obviously you can't be a freeloader either, you have to kick in with the bills and stuff.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but it seems like at least several of the posters in this thread had some or all of their tuition, room and board covered by the parents but that they worked a part-time job for spending money. This girl is suing for her parents to pay for tuition.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 7, 2014 -> 10:09 AM)
I honestly didnt know that.

They even tried it on mythbusters and couldn't get it to explode.

Lead doesn't spark, regardless of what it strikes which is something Hollywood repeatedly gets wrong. Though, in the movie Heat, one of the more realistic gunfights in film, you'll note nothing they shot caused sparks. They use sparks so the viewer knows where they were firing, but in reality, that never occurs.

And of course, related to gasoline...no spark = no flame = no explosions.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 7, 2014 -> 10:18 AM)
Maybe I'm missing something here, but it seems like at least several of the posters in this thread had some or all of their tuition, room and board covered by the parents but that they worked a part-time job for spending money. This girl is suing for her parents to pay for tuition.

Yes, but for that tuition I voluntarily lived with my parents under their rules.

I was fortunate to have choices, but the choices were still left to me to squander or make something of.

1) I could move out and do whatever I wanted, on my own dime.

2) They would pay for college so long as I kept my grades B's or higher.

3) Join the military.

I chose option 2, my brother chose option 3.

The way I see it, it's the parent's responsibility to pay her college tuition. She shouldn't have to sue them. Kids don't ask to be born and if you make the decision that you want kids, it's your responsibility to educate them so they can have a legit shot at being successful. That's how I see it.

My kids are going to college, they have no say in this :lol:

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Mar 7, 2014 -> 10:26 AM)
The way I see it, it's the parent's responsibility to pay her college tuition. She shouldn't have to sue them. Kids don't ask to be born and if you make the decision that you want kids, it's your responsibility to educate them so they can have a legit shot at being successful. That's how I see it.

My kids are going to college, they have no say in this:D

Yeah but she left home because she didnt want to live under their rules. That to me says you are now on your own "adult."

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Mar 7, 2014 -> 10:19 AM)
They even tried it on mythbusters and couldn't get it to explode.

Lead doesn't spark, regardless of what it strikes which is something Hollywood repeatedly gets wrong. Though, in the movie Heat, one of the more realistic gunfights in film, you'll note nothing they shot caused sparks. They use sparks so the viewer knows where they were firing, but in reality, that never occurs.

And of course, related to gasoline...no spark = no flame = no explosions.

An non-lead-core round (e.g. an AP round with a steel core) can cause a spark, and obviously an incendiary round could.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Mar 7, 2014 -> 10:23 AM)
I was fortunate to have choices, but the choices were still left to me to squander or make something of.

1) I could move out and do whatever I wanted, on my own dime.

2) They would pay for college so long as I kept my grades B's or higher.

3) Join the military.

I chose option 2, my brother chose option 3.

Thats how I was. In fact when my grades dropped I was in danger of #1 and thats when I worked construction and found out college was way better. Got over a 3.5 the rest of the way including 3 4.0's in a row.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 7, 2014 -> 10:27 AM)
Yeah but she left home because she didnt want to live under their rules. That to me says you are now on your own "adult."

Should've read the whole article...she needs to go back home or no dice.

Now I see what's all the fuss. She is a brat, lol