Teen Sues Parents

Reddy

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I help with admissions for my school. I still give money to Missouri as long as they continue taking their responsibility to educate the students across the state equally, through lower admission standards and scholarships. That may make it a "worse" ranked school but I think it's important.

That said, I'm amazed how much better the median student is that applies, how much more extracurriculars they do, how much more course work they do. They may not have as many jobs but they are clearly busy. They seem to be well aware that they need a college education to survive. That wasn't the case 30 years ago.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 7, 2014 -> 10:07 AM)
I love this thread.

We've learned:

-Yes this is the only lawsuit of it's kind but it is DEFINITELY indicative of an entire generation of laziness that no soxtalker can relate to because they all bootstrapped themselves up and worked a food job in their life.

-No, we definitely need to keep things in perspective about occupy's contributions to Sandy relief. Though they may have helped a little, it was nowhere near the work done by larger organizations like red cross.

Well, to be clear, there are at least two lawsuits that were brought up - the news story, and someone's personal story. I'm guessing there are more, but regardless of court filings, my argument was there is a general trend in this country for the younger generation not to be just narcissistic assholes, but to actually feel as though they are entitled, by right, to X, Y and Z. It's a general trend argument, not "each and every kid is like this." I think the fact that Occupy got swallowed up with those types of groups is also an example of this "trend."

And I think most soxtalkers would probably admit that they hoped or even expected their parents to help with college or to get a car or to get a loan or whatever. But we also backed it up with getting part time jobs to at least pretend like we were helping defray those costs. I saw those Occupy kids outside the board of trade with signs all day every day. Go get a damn job. Go pour coffee for a while. Go drive a truck. There are still jobs available, they're just s***ty jobs. And a lot of us had s***ty jobs at some point in our lives. I too was a cashier at a grocery store, a dishwasher at my school's cafeteria, etc. That's not lifting yourself by the bootstraps, that's just getting a damn job to pay for crap you want to do without demanding mom and day give it to you.

Reddy's nonsense about Sandy derailed the thread. I still don't know wtf that had to do with anything I was talking about.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 7, 2014 -> 10:34 AM)
I help with admissions for my school. I still give money to Missouri as long as they continue taking their responsibility to educate the students across the state equally, through lower admission standards and scholarships. That may make it a "worse" ranked school but I think it's important.

That said, I'm amazed how much better the median student is that applies, how much more extracurriculars they do, how much more course work they do. They may not have as many jobs but they are clearly busy. They seem to be well aware that they need a college education to survive. That wasn't the case 30 years ago.

I had basically zero extra curriculars a little over ten years ago.

Most high schools mandate some sort of community service at this point in order to graduate. Last spring, my wife was helping her dad review a few scholarship applications, and most of them came from the same high school we graduated from. Every one of these kids had at least three sports, clubs or activities they were involved with. Many of them had a pile of AP credit on top of that.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 7, 2014 -> 10:27 AM)
An non-lead-core round (e.g. an AP round with a steel core) can cause a spark, and obviously an incendiary round could.

The only thing they could get to ignite the fuel was by using tracers at long range so they'd have time to fire up.

I'd like to add that seeing these posts, Reddy fired off a succession of rapid fire and passionately worded posts, that he could have worded in a cleaner fashion but because of his direct involvement in something near and dear to him.

I'm not an admin or anything, but I don't think he should be banned, he should have his moment to state his case and clean up his posts/clear the air...

Technically, this wasn't in the Buster, and based on that technicality, I think Reddy should be released from prison immediately!

ATTICA, ATTICA.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Mar 7, 2014 -> 01:08 PM)
I'd like to add that seeing these posts, Reddy fired off a succession of rapid fire and passionately worded posts, that he could have worded in a cleaner fashion but because of his direct involvement in something near and dear to him.

I'm not an admin or anything, but I don't think he should be banned, he should have his moment to state his case and clean up his posts/clear the air...

Technically, this wasn't in the Buster, and based on that technicality, I think Reddy should be released from prison immediately!

ATTICA, ATTICA.

Without getting too much business public, this was something discussed, both by the admin/mod staff, and by an admin with Reddy. I don't want to get into personal history or anything, but the staff is comfortable with what was decided.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 7, 2014 -> 01:36 PM)
Without getting too much business public, this was something discussed, both by the admin/mod staff, and by an admin with Reddy. I don't want to get into personal history or anything, but the staff is comfortable with what was decided.

Also, he hasnt been banned. Only suspended

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 7, 2014 -> 08:18 AM)
Maybe I'm missing something here, but it seems like at least several of the posters in this thread had some or all of their tuition, room and board covered by the parents but that they worked a part-time job for spending money. This girl is suing for her parents to pay for tuition.

So do you think she has a right to do that? I guess that is what I am inferring from your post.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 7, 2014 -> 02:53 PM)
So do you think she has a right to do that? I guess that is what I am inferring from your post.

She's 18 and she's moved out of their house. If she feels there was a verbal contract at some point saying that they'd pay for various things in that case, she would have the right to sue, but she would also have to prove exactly how things went down and the fact that she has moved out is a strong argument against at least college tuition.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 7, 2014 -> 11:56 AM)
She's 18 and she's moved out of their house. If she feels there was a verbal contract at some point saying that they'd pay for various things in that case, she would have the right to sue, but she would also have to prove exactly how things went down and the fact that she has moved out is a strong argument against at least college tuition.

Yeah, I don't disagree. I was wondering if SS thinks she has a right to her tuition being paid by her parents, since he went out of his way to point out many of the posters were having their tuition paid for by their parents.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 7, 2014 -> 01:53 PM)

No I already said before that this seems pretty dumb, but there was a lot of talk about how entitled kids are these days, how could they expect this? etc. but then oh by the way my parents paid tens of thousands of dollars for my tuition, room and board.

The way I look at it is that she is no longer a minor under their guardianship. Unless they signed some sort of contract guaranteeing that they will pay for her schooling past high school, then they dont owe it to her. I have no idea why they chose not to pay for it, if they are not financially able to do so or if they had a falling out, but she has many options to get her schooling paid for through grants and loans.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 7, 2014 -> 02:05 PM)
No I already said before that this seems pretty dumb, but there was a lot of talk about how entitled kids are these days, how could they expect this? etc. but then oh by the way my parents paid tens of thousands of dollars for my tuition, room and board.

There is so much of the story that is unknown by us though. She could be(and given the nature of this lawsuit, probably is) a total B****, and they might have gotten sick of her act. My dad paid for my schooling, and I was very appreciative of that because I know that he didnt have to do that.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 7, 2014 -> 02:05 PM)
The way I look at it is that she is no longer a minor under their guardianship. Unless they signed some sort of contract guaranteeing that they will pay for her schooling past high school, then they dont owe it to her. I have no idea why they chose not to pay for it, if they are not financially able to do so or if they had a falling out, but she has many options to get her schooling paid for through grants and loans.

IIRC your parents' income counts against you when trying to get student loans up until age 25, so she does sort of get f***ed over in that sense. Her parents won't be paying but, because of her parents' income/wealth, she won't be eligible for subsidized loans and grants.

One of my parents' friends did something similar with their daughter, or at least the father did. He makes good money ($150k+), she got straight-A's through every step of school, but he refused to pay one penny because his parents didn't pay for his. So instead his wife got a full-time job just to pay for their daughter's school. And it's not like she went to Harvard unsubsidized or something, she went to ISU.

edit: my wife's parents didn't pay for any of her school, either, but she had a decent inheritance from an uncle that passed in the 90's that covered most of it.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 7, 2014 -> 02:09 PM)
IIRC your parents' income counts against you when trying to get student loans up until age 25, so she does sort of get f***ed over in that sense. Her parents won't be paying but, because of her parents' income/wealth, she won't be eligible for subsidized loans and grants.

One of my parents' friends did something similar with their daughter, or at least the father did. He makes good money ($150k+), she got straight-A's through every step of school, but he refused to pay one penny because his parents didn't pay for his. So instead his wife got a full-time job just to pay for their daughter's school. And it's not like she went to Harvard unsubsidized or something, she went to ISU.

edit: my wife's parents didn't pay for any of her school, either, but she had a decent inheritance from an uncle that passed in the 90's that covered most of it.

The point is there are many options, and in the end college is optional, not mandatory. Me and you both have no idea what she is eligible for, has applied for, been denied. All we know right now is this girl is saying that her parents owe her college tuition. To that, I disagree

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 7, 2014 -> 02:11 PM)
The point is there are many options, and in the end college is optional, not mandatory. Me and you both have no idea what she is eligible for, has applied for, been denied. All we know right now is this girl is saying that her parents owe her college tuition. To that, I disagree

yeah she already lost round one and I don't see this ever gaining any real traction.

edit: I did say this back on page 2:

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 6, 2014 -> 11:01 AM)
That said, at least what's been reported about this story makes this girl look like a giant baby.

Edited by StrangeSox

ATTICA, ATTICA.

He is passionate about something he was involved in, and frankly it's great to be that way and to have helped.

WIth that said, he was still wrong about the topic, I couldnt care less about being told "f*** you"

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Mar 7, 2014 -> 10:26 AM)
The way I see it, it's the parent's responsibility to pay her college tuition. She shouldn't have to sue them. Kids don't ask to be born and if you make the decision that you want kids, it's your responsibility to educate them so they can have a legit shot at being successful. That's how I see it.

My kids are going to college, they have no say in this :lol:

My kids are on their own for college. Just like me, my wife and all my friends were.

I honestly can’t think of a single person that I know personally that had their college paid for by their parents.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 7, 2014 -> 02:11 PM)

What I read was that she is suing her parents for tuition to the private HS that she is still attending and for an existing college fund that apparently she doesn’t have access to without their permission. So it’s money they had already marked for her college tuition.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Mar 7, 2014 -> 03:41 PM)
What I read was that she is suing her parents for tuition to the private HS that she is still attending and for an existing college fund that apparently she doesn’t have access to without their permission. So it’s money they had already marked for her college tuition.

Hey, if you want that money, you dont move out of the house. Plain and simple.

ATTICA, ATTICA.

I think a suspension will do him some good to cool off. I have a feeling he knew what was going to happen when he made those posts.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 7, 2014 -> 03:38 PM)
He is passionate about something he was involved in, and frankly it's great to be that way and to have helped.

WIth that said, he was still wrong about the topic, I couldnt care less about being told "f*** you"

I agree. Not the first time, or last time, someone told me that. I guess he did get a little butthurt about his group being branded by the actions of 'some'. Now he knows what its like to be a Republican. Or conservative. Or in the Tea Party.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Mar 7, 2014 -> 03:40 PM)
My kids are on their own for college. Just like me, my wife and all my friends were.

I honestly can’t think of a single person that I know personally that had their college paid for by their parents.

I believe in helping as long as they help as well to show the commitment. We started the college Illinois plan when each kid was in kindergarten. If they go to an illinois public school their tuition, books and mandatory fees will be paid for. They will need to cover room, board and expenses.

We do part and they do part. If they don't go to school we get the money back with interest.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 7, 2014 -> 04:19 PM)
I believe in helping as long as they help as well to show the commitment. We started the college Illinois plan when each kid was in kindergarten. If they go to an illinois public school their tuition, books and mandatory fees will be paid for. They will need to cover room, board and expenses.

We do part and they do part. If they don't go to school we get the money back with interest.

Do you recommend using this program?