Teen Sues Parents

Reddy

Whhhaaaaat a b****. Ok so I guess some in this generation really are entitled brats. Good lord.

A New Jersey high school senior sued her parents, accusing them of tossing her out of the family home when she turned 18 and refusing to pay for her private high school and college education.

In a lawsuit, Rachel Canning of Lincoln Park, New Jersey, asked a court to have her parents pay the outstanding tuition for her private high school, pay her living and transportation expenses for the foreseeable future, use money from an existing college fund to pay for at least some of her college education, and pay her legal bills.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/05/living/nj-te....html?hpt=hp_c2

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The father of a friend she is staying with is a lawyer and is bankrolling her case. He hired another lawyer (although it doesn't say if it was one from where he works or anything) and has supposedly spend about $13k so far, which was also requested in the lawsuit. And denied. She lost round one.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Mar 5, 2014 -> 01:24 PM)
The father of a friend she is staying with is a lawyer and is bankrolling her case. He hired another lawyer (although it doesn't say if it was one from where he works or anything) and has supposedly spend about $13k so far, which was also requested in the lawsuit. And denied. She lost round one.

My mind immediately goes to her banging the friends father.

Well I do understand the private high school tuition part, if her parents enrolled her in that school then they should be paying for that. Everything else is just her feeling entitled to wealth.

Also, why do major publications quote facebook comments within news articles? Makes them look like trash.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 5, 2014 -> 02:56 PM)
Well I do understand the private high school tuition part, if her parents enrolled her in that school then they should be paying for that. Everything else is just her feeling entitled to wealth.

Also, why do major publications quote facebook comments within news articles? Makes them look like trash.

I mean, if your kid runs away because they dont want to live by your rules, why do you have to continue to pay for her tuition? She should be the adult she thinks she is and enroll in public school or get her GED.

Its a little more complicated than that. If her parents enrolled her in the school, than it possibly could be their obligation regardless of what she did. I mean unless she signed the agreement, there is no privity of contract between her and the school.

I mean if she wanted to be clever she should have broke her parents up, then in the divorce had her mom ask for the college tuition to be part of the separation agreement.

People are so stupid.

My sister-in-law sued my mother and father-in-law to make them pay for her college. Her grandparents incurred 6 figures in legals bills helping my sister-in-law. As you can imagine, there is quite the schism in my wife's family. She didn't want to follow my mother-in-law's rules, so the same reason as this chick. My sister-in-law only managed to become a 9th grade math teacher as a result. Her twin brother, who's apartment took a direct hit from a Tornado in Tuscaloosa in 2011 and almost got killed, did student loans, is in the reserves and is a firefighter.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 6, 2014 -> 10:26 AM)
I know, I can't believe this is happening thousands of times per year.

No, but it's indicative of the general trend, just like the Occupy stuff. Do you think anyone from 30 years ago would have demanded their parents pay for their college tuition? Or continue to support them after the age of 18?

Kids these days!!!! articles have been written by every generation since articles existed.

edit: It's from last september but here's an article that goes over how empty the "kids these days are so spoiled!" complaints are, and how they're repeated by every generation. It turns out that 18-25 year olds are pretty reliably narcissistic and self-centered in every generation. Here's documentation of Time publishing essentially the same article every decade since at least the 70's.

That said, at least what's been reported about this story makes this girl look like a giant baby.

Edited by StrangeSox

I'm not saying kids haven't been spoiled s***s before, but I don't think kids in past generations would have started a lawsuit over it. They might have felt like their parents owed it to them to pay for their college, but they never would have asserted that as a legal right.

And yes, Occupy was an example of that problem. Kids protesting about not having jobs or money as they tweet and blog through various hi-tech gadgets. They had a legitimate beef to start (lots of debt, no jobs) but quickly just became a "I want more. I don't have enough. Look at that rich guy over there. Not fair." movement.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 6, 2014 -> 11:55 AM)
Do you think anyone from 30 years ago would have demanded their parents pay for their college tuition?

No, because college was actually affordable ~30 years ago to most people if they qualified thanks to significant government support of universities that has evaporated over that time period.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 6, 2014 -> 11:32 AM)
No, because college was actually affordable ~30 years ago to most people if they qualified thanks to significant government support of universities that has evaporated over that time period.

Affordable or night, I guarantee you all of our parents would never have dreamed of DEMANDING that their parents support them and pay for their college.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 6, 2014 -> 11:32 AM)

Yes but loans were harder to come by.

Also kids dont work as much these days as they used to.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 6, 2014 -> 12:36 PM)
Also kids dont work as much these days as they used to.

Data suggests this is true entirely because of the 2008 economic collapse. The labor force participation rate by people in the 16-19 and 20-24 groups significantly increased from 1959 to 1999 , but it then dramatically decreased starting in the late 2000's.

Edited because man I compeltely wrote that crap wrong.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 6, 2014 -> 06:32 PM)
I'm not saying kids haven't been spoiled s***s before, but I don't think kids in past generations would have started a lawsuit over it. They might have felt like their parents owed it to them to pay for their college, but they never would have asserted that as a legal right.

And yes, Occupy was an example of that problem. Kids protesting about not having jobs or money as they tweet and blog through various hi-tech gadgets. They had a legitimate beef to start (lots of debt, no jobs) but quickly just became a "I want more. I don't have enough. Look at that rich guy over there. Not fair." movement.

Sure, the SDS was completely reasonable as well.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 6, 2014 -> 11:44 AM)
Data suggests this is true entirely because of the 2008 economic collapse. The labor force participation rate by people in the 16-19 and 20-24 groups significantly increased from 1959 to 1999 , but it then dramatically decreased starting in the late 2000's.

Edited because man I compeltely wrote that crap wrong.

Maybe. Entry level jobs for teens and young adults were still there for the taking.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 6, 2014 -> 12:51 PM)
Maybe. Entry level jobs for teens and young adults were still there for the taking.

Just remember this...I looked it up a while back, only 20% of fast food counter workers are under the age of 25, everyone else is someone older needing a job. The world of "still there for the taking" jobs doesn't exist right now.