Big Ten Tournament

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Mar 13, 2014 -> 09:18 PM)
Iowa's not really been interested in playing basketball since about the middle of February.

I'm tired of the "Iowa has as much talent as anyone" comments.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 13, 2014 -> 07:10 PM)
Remember the "they could have/should have won every game this year" thing? That was fun.

that went into the s***ter a while ago. Still better then Illinois though. f***ing pathetic. Iowa finally makes me think its going to be a good year and then they s*** themselves. Please somehow totally redeem yourself in the real dance.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 13, 2014 -> 10:14 PM)
that went into the s***ter a while ago. Still better then Illinois though. f***ing pathetic. Iowa finally makes me think its going to be a good year and then they s*** themselves. Please somehow totally redeem yourself in the real dance.

Lose to Northwestern, lose to Illinois at home...still better than Illinois, LOL. Hey, whatever makes you feel better about the collapse. You'll make the tournament this year, but I'm sure as hell not trading programs moving forward.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 13, 2014 -> 08:23 PM)
Lose to Northwestern, lose to Illinois at home...still better than Illinois, LOL. Hey, whatever makes you feel better about the collapse. You'll make the tournament this year, but I'm sure as hell not trading programs moving forward.

I'll stick with Iowa.

Bruce Pearl got it right when he said Iowa plays too many players. It's great to have depth, but having a 10 man rotation is hard to get a lineup to gel especially in crunch time. Either way it was the starters besides Marble that sunk Iowa along with Northwestern controlling the tempo.

It'll be interesting to see where Iowa gets seeded now after that loss. It probably will be hard for them to keep the #9 projected seed but I wouldn't put it past the selection committee to have an #8 Oklahoma State/#9 Iowa match up where the winner takes on #1 Wichita State in the Midwest Region. Whether the argument about Wichita State playing no one is warranted or not, I'm guessing the selection committee will have them face a team that when they play at their best, they can beat just about anyone, and I feel Oklahoma State and Iowa fit that mold. Just my opinion though.

Edited by WilliamTell

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 13, 2014 -> 10:58 PM)
Iowa doesn't belong in the tourney. Can't lose 6 of 7 at the end of the year.

See Minnesota last year. 8-10 in conference and knocked out in the first round.

The difference is Iowa was ranked between 10-24 for something like 10 weeks.

And the last ten games aren't weighted as being more significant than any other stretch of the season anymore.

I think I've seen one writer in all the national media (a minor ESPN writer) have them out of the tourney if they lost to Northwestern.

Realistically, they're better off as an 11 or 12 (even play-in game) seed because that gets them a game with a 5 or 6, and a much easier path in the 2nd round. Otherwise, they'd have to get lucky and draw Wichita State in the 2nd game.

Most Iowa fans, reacting emotionally, are wishing they were relegated to the NIT or not even accepting any post-season invite, but calmer minds will hopefully prevail.

Iowa hasn't been in the tourney since 2006, and only three times since Tom Davis left in 1998...with only 1 win under Steve Alford (losses to Kentucky, Cincy and NW State).

The curse!

We've got about approximately 21 excuses now.

1) Twittergate with Zach McCabe

2) Devyn Marble is a ballhog and is ruining team chemistry

3) Aaron White can't create his own shot with defenses focusing on him

4) Depth...too much, strange rotations, bad chemistry

5) Coaching

6) Defense and heart/passion is missing

7) Overall athleticism is lacking

8) Inability to consistently shoot from the outside when teams play zone or pack it in the paint

9) No senior leadership like the last two seasons with Eric May and Gatens

10) Collapsed beam at Assembly Hall forced 4 games in 8 days

11) Sickness...Melsahn Basabe, hasn't been the same player he was the first 20 games

12) Coach plays favorites with Marble and McCabe, pulls other players like Jok/Clemmons/Oglesby/Olaseni/Woodbury after a single mistake

13) Overconfidence after winning at Ohio State and finally "breaking through" with a key road win

14) Poor free throw shooting...inability to close out games under pressure

15) Carver Hawkeye Arena isn't nearly as much of a home court advantage as many new facilities with younger fans ringing the court

16) McCaffrey's son is sick...distraction

17) McCaffrey has tamped down his emotions too much after having numerous confrontations with refs (see close loss that should have been a win at WISC)

18) Teammates don't support or seem to care about each other....too much sniping/whining/complaining...no togetherness or cohesiveness like 2013

19) Inability for guards to feed the post players effectively

20) Uthoff and White not playing at the correct positions...White is a 4, not a 3, and shouldn't be handling the ball so far from the rim

21) European tours and all-star teams wiped out White/Marble

Edited by caulfield12