Game Thread 4/17 - BOS @ SOX

cabiness42

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Apr 18, 2014 -> 04:05 AM)
Can't get mad anymore. Pen is horrible. It'll get fixed eventually. Getting mad won't make it better

Not this year....Downs and Belisario are here to stay. It's fine, it's not like there are quick fixes out there at this point in the season.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 17, 2014 -> 09:07 PM)
Not this year....Downs and Belisario are here to stay. It's fine, it's not like there are quick fixes out there at this point in the season.

I know that. Meant next year. Webb is gona be fine. I hope for a miracle that we can reel in Cletos command if possible.

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Apr 18, 2014 -> 04:08 AM)
I know that. Meant next year. Webb is gona be fine. I hope for a miracle that we can reel in Cletos command if possible.

Agreed, hopefully out of Cleto, Jones and Petricka, two of them will show they can be part of the future roster. I still don't blame Hahn for the bullpen, as Downs has been one of the best lefty relievers for a long time.

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Apr 17, 2014 -> 10:06 PM)
Any ideas who they might target in the offseason? I know it's really early

No. But I know that number is something they would do when they thought we were ready in a couple of years. Pen, one bat, one SP IMO.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Apr 18, 2014 -> 04:10 AM)
Viciedo had two opportunities to knock in big runs. The opportunities were there, just no execution. You're going to have to score more than one run to win a game.

Boston pitched our hitters incredibly well. Their scouting was exceptional.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 17, 2014 -> 10:07 PM)

If some of these guys get it together we are dealing them. Dunn already got some feelers and it's April.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 17, 2014 -> 10:11 PM)
Boston pitched our hitters incredibly well. Their scouting was exceptional.

Yeah it's not real difficult to get Viciedo out though so I don't know if that's something to pat them on the back for.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 18, 2014 -> 04:04 AM)
They aren't struggling? Avi's injury is such a downer though.

No I dont think so. Our two biggest holes coming in Gillaspie and Flowers have been actually good. The rookies Eaton, and Abreu have been as good as you can expect. Abreu in a small slump but overall you can't complain. Semien has not been good but thats one of many. It's been Paulino, Downs, Belisario etc who have been the culprits of frustration IMO. Not the rebuilding pieces IMO.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 17, 2014 -> 10:13 PM)
No I dont think so. Our two biggest holes coming in Gillaspie and Flowers have been actually good. The rookies Eaton, and Abreu have been as good as you can expect. Abreu in a small slump but overall you can't complain. Semien has not been good but thats one of many. It's been Paulino, Downs, Belisario etc who have been the culprits of frustration IMO. Not the rebuilding pieces IMO.

All guys that most likely will be replaced. And don't forget we have Davidson in the wings.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 18, 2014 -> 03:13 AM)

Good stuff, I don't disagree. Eaton's energy has been great, and this team has already played more memorable games in 2 weeks than they did in all of 2013. Johnson's start this week has to be considered a real plus.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 17, 2014 -> 10:04 PM)
There are so many positives with this young team. But they will struggle and we are already missing a big piece.

It's ok to get caught up and frustrated. However don't forget this isn't our year.

Exactly, it would be great if we back into the wild card but this team isn't built for it, just enjoy the young guys develop. On the plus side

our rotation over the past 4 games

25.2 12H 4ER 11BB 28SO

1.43ERA, 0.912WHIP, 3.93 BB/9 & 10 K/9

QUOTE (beautox @ Apr 17, 2014 -> 10:15 PM)
Exactly, it would be great if we back into the wild card but this team isn't built for it, just enjoy the young guys develop. On the plus side

our rotation over the past 4 games

25.2 12H 4ER 11BB 28SO

1.43ERA, 0.912WHIP, 3.93 BB/9 & 10 K/9

I mean look at that s***. Would you rather fix a rotation or a bullpen?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 18, 2014 -> 03:06 AM)
We aren't contending in 2014. That's a fact.

It's sad to waste another year of Sale excellence then. If the Sox had any kind of bullpen at all, the team would be having an amazing April in terms of overall record. Since the team in no way shape or form can contend, I still don't know why we even pitch Sale once more than every couple weeks. If we can't contend, why put innings on that golden arm?

I understand the whole rebuilding thing...I do. But the young guys are producing and I'm VERY concerned that this crappy pen will kill their confidence. I'd like to think that as professionals they'd know better but I feel like they'll start to press, and lose confidence, all as a result of a crappy bullpen. If Rick and co. are in the young guys' ears and telling them that this is a rebuilding year then it's different, but if those players are under the impression that winning is their #1 priority, that bullpen is doing us a greater disservice than we think.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 17, 2014 -> 09:18 PM)
It's sad to waste another year of Sale excellence then. If the Sox had any kind of bullpen at all, the team would be having an amazing April in terms of overall record. Since the team in no way shape or form can contend, I still don't know why we even pitch Sale once more than every couple weeks. If we can't contend, why put innings on that golden arm?

We're not really wasting sale. He's still young and needs to grow with this team

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Apr 18, 2014 -> 03:19 AM)
I understand the whole rebuilding thing...I do. But the young guys are producing and I'm VERY concerned that this crappy pen will kill their confidence. I'd like to think that as professionals they'd know better but I feel like they'll start to press, and lose confidence, all as a result of a crappy bullpen. If Rick and co. are in the young guys' ears and telling them that this is a rebuilding year then it's different, but if those players are under the impression that winning is their #1 priority, that bullpen is doing us a greater disservice than we think.

I'd be concerned if the players didn't know it was a rebuilding year after the GM trades the previous season's closer for a minor league 3rd baseman.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 17, 2014 -> 10:18 PM)

How old is he and how long do we have him?

They could give two s***s about 2014 and that's a quote from someone in management.