Do you think Paulie would retire midseason?

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 02:19 AM)
I want to know if he's embraced his role in the dugout or if he's still acting like a regular player. Is he just acting ready for when he gets called on? Or is he teaching, etc? With this role, he should just retire. It's stupid.

How do you know it's not beneficial? How do you know the newfound patience Viciedo's displaying isn't due to Konerko's mentorship? It's really easy to say "it's stupid" when all you see of Konerko is the sporadic at-bat, but you'd have to see what's going on in the dugout and clubhouse to know whether it's truly a stupid role or not.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sox have faced 5 LH SPs so far, PK got the start in 3 of those games. One of the other games was in Colorado(No DH and Abreu had himself a pretty swell game with 2 HRs). The other game, which was against Robbie Ross, is the only game where I question why he didn't start. Dunn was coming off a 3-4 game so it may have been tough to take him out of the lineup.

So sans that 1 game PK has been utilized exactly like we all expected and that has been reported...A platoon starter who will play against LH starters.

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Apr 22, 2014 -> 10:40 PM)
I could totally see it happening. I think he has a lot of pride and would realize when he just can't do this anymore and/or just isn't having any fun. He wouldn't be the first guy to hang 'em up during a season. Nothing to be ashamed about.

Mike Schmidt did it -- retired mid-season, saying he just couldn't make the plays that he used to make. There are probably a few others, if you know them, might be interesting to mention them.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 12:11 PM)
Mike Schmidt did it -- retired mid-season, saying he just couldn't make the plays that he used to make. There are probably a few others, if you know them, might be interesting to mention them.

Kerry Wood.

As much as I hate him he went out the best way possible on a bad team. That's why I mentioned the Cubs series next month.

Why is it so hard for people to accept and understand his role this season? These same people will call him a class act but actually suggest him hanging it up mid season? WTF? Unless he get's hurt he not hanging it up mid season, and even then I'm sure he would be in the clubhouse helping mentor the younger guys.

I have to give Robin & company major credit for the way they have handled the 1B/DH playing time situation. I was one of the biggest critics of the PK signing because I was worried about Abreu's development being stunted. While they said all the right things in the offseason and spring training, I was still worried that the Jerry nostalgia factor would override common sense. Currently the Sox best interests are served by giving Abreu & Dunn the most playing time possible and that is what is happening.

QUOTE (MEANS @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 12:32 PM)
Why is it so hard for people to accept and understand his role this season? These same people will call him a class act but actually suggest him hanging it up mid season?

Understand that he has no role on this team you mean?

And you are somehow suggesting hanging it up midseason is somehow the opposite of class?

QUOTE (MEANS @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 08:32 AM)
Why is it so hard for people to accept and understand his role this season? These same people will call him a class act but actually suggest him hanging it up mid season? WTF? Unless he get's hurt he not hanging it up mid season, and even then I'm sure he would be in the clubhouse helping mentor the younger guys.

Well first of all, he's 2/19 and not looking very good at it. Second of all, he's not even on pace for 200 PA's, he's on pace for half that.

QUOTE (Hawkfan @ Apr 22, 2014 -> 11:52 PM)
Anybody who truly thinks like that, I don't want them on my team.

This is ridiculous. Konerko wants to play, but he doesn't want to play as much because his body can't stand the rigors of a full season of play again (or that's how he believes). He believes he can contribute against lefties and as a mentor to young players. If anything, I applaud people that want to play like that, because he could have been very stubborn about the entire situation and asked for a lot or could have gone to another team for more playing time or money, but he stuck around here to do exactly that.

I will say that I think the possibility exists, but I don't think he will. I didn't expect Griffey to retire either, but he hung it up too.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 09:16 AM)
Well first of all, he's 2/19 and not looking very good at it. Second of all, he's not even on pace for 200 PA's, he's on pace for half that.

There will be injuries and Paulie will get more at bats. Now when the increase comes, he may decide he does not want to continue. Then again, he could also get an injury and hang them up sooner. He could also get more playing time, go on a tear and sign again for next season. He may be the manager next season.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 09:23 AM)
There will be injuries and Paulie will get more at bats. Now when the increase comes, he may decide he does not want to continue. Then again, he could also get an injury and hang them up sooner. He could also get more playing time, go on a tear and sign again for next season. He may be the manager next season.

2+ years ago I wasn't looking forward to the "Konerko as manager" talk when it comes around. Now? Can't be worse.

Wonder if we'll get Thome first.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 08:23 AM)

Ventura just signed an extension and Konerko has said he does not want to get into coaching right away.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 08:24 AM)
2+ years ago I wasn't looking forward to the "Konerko as manager" talk when it comes around. Now? Can't be worse.

Wonder if we'll get Thome first.

It could be a lot worse. Robin could have actually listened to your complaints and suggestions.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 09:28 AM)
It could be a lot worse. Robin could have actually listened to your complaints and suggestions.

I know, I mean, all I wanted was for Viciedo to get playing time, and now that he's gotten it look how awful he's been. Clearly he belonged on the bench that first week of the year. He's useless.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 08:41 AM)
I know, I mean, all I wanted was for Viciedo to get playing time, and now that he's gotten it look how awful he's been. Clearly he belonged on the bench that first week of the year. He's useless.

Yeah you are a genius. You complained Paulie wasn't in the opening day line up after complaining after he signed that he would play TOO MUCH.

You complained De Aza was playing on opening day when he it 2 homers. You complained Semien led off the other day when he had 4 hits.

You really don't know as much as you think, but keep patting yourself on the back.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 09:46 AM)
Yeah you are a genius. You complained Paulie wasn't in the opening day line up after complaining after he signed that he would play TOO MUCH.

You complained De Aza was playing on opening day when he it 2 homers. You complained Semien led off the other day when he had 4 hits.

You really don't know as much as you think, but keep patting yourself on the back.

Tell you what, I think you should continue showing how strongly you believe in your defenses of moves that are poorly planned and really shouldn't work. There's a real simple technique, go to Vegas and bet $100k on the underdog in a bunch of games where the odds are 5 to 1 against. then tell me how spectacularly it works out for you.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 08:26 AM)
Ventura just signed an extension and Konerko has said he does not want to get into coaching right away.

I'm guessing you'll see Paulie ease his way into a role with the Sox. This year he is basically a bench manager already.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 08:50 AM)
I'm guessing you'll see Paulie ease his way into a role with the Sox. This year he is basically a bench manager already.

Be a Spring Training instructor and then do the ambassador role and then he'll eventually begin to take on more responsibilities and maybe within 3-4 years of retiring, he's on the bench full time in some capacity.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 09:53 AM)
Be a Spring Training instructor and then do the ambassador role and then he'll eventually begin to take on more responsibilities and maybe within 3-4 years of retiring, he's on the bench full time in some capacity.

How old are his kids? I'd figure there's a chance he might genuinely want to do the "Spend a couple years with family" thing at some point.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 08:49 AM)
Tell you what, I think you should continue showing how strongly you believe in your defenses of moves that are poorly planned and really shouldn't work. There's a real simple technique, go to Vegas and bet $100k on the underdog in a bunch of games where the odds are 5 to 1 against. then tell me how spectacularly it works out for you.

Nice comeback. Now go back to managing on the internet, and continue to get out managed by the guy you complain about.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 09:56 AM)
Nice comeback. Now go back to managing on the internet, and continue to get out managed by the guy you complain about.

So you don't believe your own crap? Not willing to stick by your statements that .200 hitters batting leadoff is always a good thing?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 08:53 AM)

I definitely see him with a spring training role since he lives out there, but even he said coaching is something he would probably do with his kids for the foreseeable future.

I wouldn't think he would be a full-time major league coach or manager for a decade or so, if ever.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 08:57 AM)
So you don't believe your own crap? Not willing to stick by your statements that .200 hitters batting leadoff is always a good thing?

On that night, with the other options and short term, it was fine. It wasn't a permanent thing, and Semien was up to the task. Besides, you wanted Gillaspie leading off. I don't know how you can say it's 5 to 1 Gillaspie would perform better any particular game than Semien. Please explain.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 10:01 AM)
On that night, with the other options and short term, it was fine. It wasn't a permanent thing, and Semien was up to the task.

So because it worked, it was ok to do something silly and you think that's something you can brag about. Like I said, $100k on a 5 to 1 game a few times. Same setup and you can brag to me about the millions you bring home. After all, there's no downside to silly moves.