Keppinger DFA'd

Chisoxfn

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Wednesday, May 14, 2014

CHICAGO – Prior to today’s game at Oakland, the Chicago White Sox returned infielder Jeff Keppinger from his injury rehabilitation assignment with Class AA Birmingham, reinstated him from the 15-day disabled list and designated him for assignment.

Keppinger, 34, has been on the disabled list since March 30 (retroactive to March 21) while continuing his recovery from right shoulder surgery performed on September 26, 2013. He played in 11 games with Birmingham on his rehab assignment.

Keppinger batted .253 (107-423) with four home runs and 40 RBI over 117 games in 2013, his first season with the White Sox after signing as a free agent on December 10, 2012.

The White Sox 40-man roster is at 39.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is crazy. I never thought they'd eat that much, but it shows how thoroughly unimpressed they were with Keppinger as a player and that, when they feel it's a mistake, they aren't afraid to eat a little money. It also shows how useless is really is to the MLB team with the depth they have.

The thing is, he won't be claimed (I have no problem saying there is a 0.001% chance of him being claimed). At that point, Keppinger has the option to decline a minor league assignment based on his tenure in the league. If he actually accepts the MiLB assignment (I'd say less than a 1% chance of happening), I believe his contract is still valid and is paid out like normal.

Either way, yes, the Sox eat a little more than $7.5 mill (unless he doesn't sign anywhere, in which case it's $8.5 mill). And that's still only half of Adam Dunn's salary. :)

Edited by witesoxfan

There has to be more to this story, for JR to eat rest of contract Jeff had to rub somebody the wrong way.

White Sox activated INF Jeff Keppinger from the 15-day disabled list; designated him for assignment.

Keppinger is making $4 million this season and is set to make $4.5 million in 2015, so the White Sox are eating a lot of money with this move. The veteran infielder has dealt with shoulder issues since the beginning of last season and the Pale Hose might be convinced that he was never going to be healthy enough again to contribute. They now have an open spot on their 40-man roster.

Per Rotoworld

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 14, 2014 -> 09:24 AM)
The thing is, he won't be claimed (I have no problem saying there is a 0.001% chance of him being claimed). At that point, Keppinger has the option to decline a minor league assignment based on his tenure in the league. If he actually accepts the MiLB assignment (I'd say less than a 1% chance of happening), I believe his contract is still valid and is paid out like normal.

Either way, yes, the Sox eat a little more than $7.5 mill (unless he doesn't sign anywhere, in which case it's $8.5 mill). And that's still only half of Adam Dunn's salary. :)

If he goes unclaimed and then signs afterwards, the other team just pays the minimum, and we pick up the rest, correct?

There has to be more to this story, for JR to eat rest of contract Jeff had to rub somebody the wrong way.

White Sox activated INF Jeff Keppinger from the 15-day disabled list; designated him for assignment.

Keppinger is making $4 million this season and is set to make $4.5 million in 2015, so the White Sox are eating a lot of money with this move. The veteran infielder has dealt with shoulder issues since the beginning of last season and the Pale Hose might be convinced that he was never going to be healthy enough again to contribute. They now have an open spot on their 40-man roster.

Per Rotoworld

I don't know that it's that he rubbed somebody the wrong way as much as it was a roster crunch. The only way to fit Keppinger on the roster was to keep LGarcia as both the backup SS and backup OF. Now with Keppinger gone they can keep both Semien and Sierra to fill the two roles.

Also, the extra spot on the 40 will be very useful.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 14, 2014 -> 11:28 AM)
If he goes unclaimed and then signs afterwards, the other team just pays the minimum, and we pick up the rest, correct?

Yes. There is literally no need for him or any team to offer him more than the prorated major league minimum contract, and then he just chooses where he wants to sign.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ May 14, 2014 -> 11:30 AM)
I don't know that it's that he rubbed somebody the wrong way as much as it was a roster crunch. The only way to fit Keppinger on the roster was to keep LGarcia as both the backup SS and backup OF. Now with Keppinger gone they can keep both Semien and Sierra to fill the two roles.

You may be right, I am just shocked it is so unlike JR to approve this.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ May 14, 2014 -> 11:30 AM)
Other candidates to be DFA'd by the end of the season

Scott Carroll

Frank Fransisco

Alejandro De Aza (I think this will spook him)

Moises Sierra

Felipe Paulino

Jordan Danks

Nester Molina

Jared Mitchell

Eric Surkamp

lol..

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ May 14, 2014 -> 11:30 AM)

That will be used be Micah Johnson. Guaranteed

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 14, 2014 -> 11:31 AM)
lol..

What?