White Sox Winner!

flavum

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ May 14, 2014 -> 05:49 PM)
Conor Gillaspie is quietly putting together a very good season. He's been solid with the glove and he's doing what he needs to do at the plate to be a MLB regular. That was a freaking steal by Hahn. The guy always had 1st round talent, just needed a place to find it.

If he turns into a good player for us I will give Ventura a lot of credit.

Gillaspie is a platoon player. He should never face LHP.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 15, 2014 -> 09:11 AM)
Bottom line, Semien is getting 4-6 days a week in the majors or he should be in the minors. His future COULD be as a utility player, but Gordon Beckham's could too and frankly his future as a utility player is far likelier at this point.

If the White Sox weren't willing to play Semien 2-3 days a week in a platoon they should send him down. They've made their choice and I disagree with it.

Does anyone know what was with Gillaspie being one of the few players ever drafted then called up the same year? Was it just something in his contract to make sure he could always say he played in the bigs? How did that affect his pay? Kind of surprised it didn't set a precedent if it was contractual.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 15, 2014 -> 08:45 AM)
Does anyone know what was with Gillaspie being one of the few players ever drafted then called up the same year? Was it just something in his contract to make sure he could always say he played in the bigs? How did that affect his pay? Kind of surprised it didn't set a precedent if it was contractual.

It was in his contract, I remember that tidbit.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 15, 2014 -> 08:45 AM)

Much like we did with Sale, it was an inducement to sign quickly.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 15, 2014 -> 08:16 AM)
Gillaspie is a platoon player. He should never face LHP.

Yes, as I stated in another post in this thread, I agree. That said, he's the vastly better side of a 3B platoon, batting left at 3B is a huge bonus and if he continues to rake against RHP he should be a big part of the future at 3B. He'll turn 27 in July so the next 3-5 years will be his prime and the Sox are going to have a very cheap, good player on their hands hopefully.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ May 15, 2014 -> 12:39 PM)
Yes, as I stated in another post in this thread, I agree. That said, he's the vastly better side of a 3B platoon, batting left at 3B is a huge bonus and if he continues to rake against RHP he should be a big part of the future at 3B. He'll turn 27 in July so the next 3-5 years will be his prime and the Sox are going to have a very cheap, good player on their hands hopefully.

I've been saying this going back to last year if Conor can develop against LHP respectably, he has the opportunity to develop into a left handed version of Michael Cuddyer and could be a 1.5-3WAR(PEAK) player. At the very least he has a great role on this team going forward on the bench heading into next year.

QUOTE (beautox @ May 15, 2014 -> 02:14 PM)
I've been saying this going back to last year if Conor can develop against LHP respectably, he has the opportunity to develop into a left handed version of Michael Cuddyer and could be a 1.5-3WAR(PEAK) player. At the very least he has a great role on this team going forward on the bench heading into next year.

If Conor Gillaspie gives the Sox 6-8 WAR over the next 4 years I don't think anyone will complain. He cost them nothing to acquire and isn't even arb eligible until 2016. For a guy that doesn't hit with much power he takes a good number of walks, which really enhances his value offensively.

Edited by chitownsportsfan