5/18 White Sox @ Astros 1:10 CT CSN

QUOTE (fathom @ May 18, 2014 -> 07:10 PM)
Worst contract in Sox history given the results during the contract extension?

Danks troubles are really beginning to weigh on many of us. But, at the time of that big contract how many of us were in favor of his contract? I was I know that. At the same time so many were willing to write off Buerhle and his contract and say good riddance to him. I wasn't. I know hindsight is 20/20 and you can't predict an injury, but has Mark B ever been injured? The guy pitched two no-hitters and the Sox management let him go. John Danks is relying on that changeup way to much now and hits like 89 tops usually. I hope he can build up his arm strength as it looks like we probably have him for the duration of that contract. I say this realizing it's only one game right now but he certainly struggles

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 18, 2014 -> 07:27 PM)
The expectations from the Danks thread on this board in the offseason of 2011 would be an interesting read.

Read my post Marty. I basically agree with you

Danks has never had great command. Even when he had good stuff, he was effectively wild in my opinion. Now, his stuff isn't good enough to get people to swing and miss his high fastball, etc. Unless he all of a sudden gets pinpoint control, it's hard to see him turning his career around.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 18, 2014 -> 02:28 PM)
Danks troubles are really beginning to weigh on many of us. But, at the time of that big contract how many of us were in favor of his contract? I was I know that. At the same time so many were willing to write off Buerhle and his contract and say good riddance to him. I wasn't. I know hindsight is 20/20 and you can't predict an injury, but has Mark B ever been injured? The guy pitched two no-hitters and the Sox management let him go. John Danks is relying on that changeup way to much now and hits like 89 tops usually. I hope he can build up his arm strength as it looks like we probably have him for the duration of that contract. I say this realizing it's only one game right now but he certainly struggles

His velocity should be a lot better this year and it is not, it is even lower than 2013 . Danks will not be the same pitcher he was and Sox are going to pay a heavy price for it.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 18, 2014 -> 08:28 PM)

People if they'd use their brains would realize Buehrle is one of those Jamie Moyer types that will pitch forever (if he wants to). His style of pitching pretty much guaranteed that he was far from finished.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 18, 2014 -> 08:30 PM)
Danks has never had great command. Even when he had good stuff, he was effectively wild in my opinion. Now, his stuff isn't good enough to get people to swing and miss his high fastball, etc. Unless he all of a sudden gets pinpoint control, it's hard to see him turning his career around.

I don't remember the baseball analyst who made the remark that Danks, as many pitchers returning from TJ type surgery, are afraid to let it air out when throwing that fastball. He though Danks had one of the best changeups in the game but until he stated to get at least a 10 MPH difference between the change and the fastball he was going to have trouble

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 18, 2014 -> 08:35 PM)
People if they'd use their brains would realize Buehrle is one of those Jamie Moyer types that will pitch forever (if he wants to). His style of pitching pretty much guaranteed that he was far from finished.

I think that was a KW issue at times

QUOTE (fathom @ May 18, 2014 -> 02:42 PM)
Wow, doesn't get much worse than this start by Danks.

Agreed. He's done. That Cleveland game was full of red flags too. I wonder if he is injured or that he'll just never be the same pitcher he once was.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 18, 2014 -> 02:44 PM)
Danks with 3rd worst ERA in all of baseball now. Noesi would be the worst if he qualified.

Danks giving the team no chance to win right now when he pitches,

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 18, 2014 -> 02:35 PM)
I don't remember the baseball analyst who made the remark that Danks, as many pitchers returning from TJ type surgery, are afraid to let it air out when throwing that fastball. He though Danks had one of the best changeups in the game but until he stated to get at least a 10 MPH difference between the change and the fastball he was going to have trouble

It would be awesome if Danks had TJ surgery as that's the elbow. Danks had a full capsule tear -- shoulder injury. You know the other guy that had that? Johan Santana. Danks is done in MLB he'll probably retire when his contract is over. There is no way the Sox could have seen the shoulder problem so I don't blame them for the contract.

Hey Dick Allen, how's your boy Danks doing with that 88 mph heater today? Remember that cubs gsme when their AAAA lineup couldn't hit the exact same stuff? Turns out it was smoke and mirrors. Go figure.

Gotta love Webb getting to be the fall guy too, god forbid we would over work our non pre-arb relievers.

And Jose needs an MRI, yea it was clearly a planned DH trip. "It's not the type of thing that gets worse playing on it" said Jose and the Sox. Yea, that wasn't true.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ May 18, 2014 -> 08:16 PM)
It would be awesome if Danks had TJ surgery as that's the elbow. Danks had a full capsule tear -- shoulder injury. You know the other guy that had that? Johan Santana. Danks is done in MLB he'll probably retire when his contract is over. There is no way the Sox could have seen the shoulder problem so I don't blame them for the contract.

Hey Dick Allen, how's your boy Danks doing with that 88 mph heater today? Remember that cubs gsme when their AAAA lineup couldn't hit the exact same stuff? Turns out it was smoke and mirrors. Go figure.

Gotta love Webb getting to be the fall guy too, god forbid we would over work our non pre-arb relievers.

And Jose needs an MRI, yea it was clearly a planned DH trip. "It's not the type of thing that gets worse playing on it" said Jose and the Sox. Yea, that wasn't true.

Yes people forget that there is still a world of difference between the success rate of the two surgeries (elbow and shoulder). The list of those who have successfully recovered from shoulder surgery is a short one.3