FutureSox Draft Previews

Ozzie Ball

QUOTE (oldsox @ May 27, 2014 -> 06:56 PM)
So if we draft either Aiken or Kolek, where do they start playing, assuming we can sign the winner? Rookie League, Kanny? If it's Rodon, I bet he starts at AA.

We do have the half season team out in Arizona. I would imagine they'd get some innings there. If Kolek is the guy, he will most likely learn a cutter within 10 minutes of signing as well.

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 29, 2014 -> 12:53 PM)
Why do you assume the AZL team as opposed to Great Falls? Is the AZL league supposed to be of lesser quality competition a la Bristol?

It isn't an issue of quality per se. The levels of play of the Pioneer and Appalachian leagues aren't that different, and I doubt the AZL is dramatically different than either of those.

The Sox have specific uses they tend towards with their two rookie affiliates. Almost (but not entirely) without exception, the Sox sent the high schoolers, DSL grads and more raw guys to Bristol, and the more polished college types to Great Falls. Now Bristol has essentially moved, but they are keeping the same manager (Gellinger), and the AZL facility will be Glendale which is their own house. These only further cement that they want to keep the more raw guys who need more attention close to the vest, so I'm pretty sure the usage won't change.

This tendency has the side effect of having Great Falls go to the playoffs nearly every year, while Bristol has almost always been terrible, in terms of full-team performance.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 08:25 AM)
Just a reminder - as we do each year, FutureSox will have a live draft-tracker up on the blog, and of course we'll be tweeting like mad. Draft starts Thursday night!

I'll be following this. I don't have MLBN. Anywhere to watch online?

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 10:38 AM)
I'll be following this. I don't have MLBN. Anywhere to watch online?

I read an interesting article this weekend about Boston's draft approach. With their success, they often pick in the mid-late 20's. They tend to look for players who fell in the draft due to injury. They presently have 3 or 4 of them at the ML or AAA level. Obviously risky to do multiple times but since they are in no hurry to get a draftee to the majors, it appears it has worked pretty well for them. Hoffman is a good example although it looks like he will slip to the teens and not the 20's.