White Sox vs Royals Game 1

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (1dog @ Jun 14, 2014 -> 02:17 AM)
I am about to give up on Viciedo. Can he not pick up ANY curveball and just not swing? If he throws 3 for a strike, just go sit down.

Then there's Flowers. Christ.

Sox are awesome at developing hitters.

QUOTE (1dog @ Jun 13, 2014 -> 09:17 PM)
I am about to give up on Viciedo. Can he not pick up ANY curveball and just not swing? If he throws 3 for a strike, just go sit down.

Then there's Flowers. Christ.

Viciedo has been laying off that pitch this year. Every now and then a hitter is going to get fooled, but he definitely has improved his discipline on the low and away breaking ball.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jun 13, 2014 -> 09:18 PM)
Viciedo has been laying off that pitch this year. Every now and then a hitter is going to get fooled, but he definitely has improved his discipline on the low and away breaking ball.

When he's not swinging at curveballs, he comes out of his shoes to try to go deep.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jun 13, 2014 -> 08:17 PM)
Nieto should be splitting time with Flowers at worst.

That's a bad idea for the pitching staff...he's just not experienced enough dealing with all of the starters and knowing the big league hitters.

Yeah, Cooper and the coaches can help him out a lot, but I think they'd be more likely to make a trade...release or designate Flowers...or give Phegley another shot before the catching duties are split.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 13, 2014 -> 09:23 PM)
That's a bad idea for the pitching staff...he's just not experienced enough dealing with all of the starters and knowing the big league hitters.

Yeah, Cooper and the coaches can help him out a lot, but I think they'd be more likely to make a trade...release or designate Flowers...or give Phegley another shot before the catching duties are split.

I don't think Flowers is that much better a catcher to me, Nieto has done a good job behind the dish.

QUOTE (1dog @ Jun 13, 2014 -> 08:22 PM)
When he's not swinging at curveballs, he comes out of his shoes to try to go deep.

Since the slump started, yes.

When he was hitting .340 about six weeks ago, it APPEARED as if a lot of trends had changed.

He was walking a lot more and the majority of his base hits were to the opposite field. Of course, everyone's criticizing him now for his power numbers declining (more doubles, but homers down), so he's probably questioning himself.

If Steverson was a magician, then he could turn around Flowers, Dayan, Eaton, DeAza, etc. It really seemed like he was (except for DeAza) until Chris Sale returned from the DL and POOF! the offense disappeared like that.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 13, 2014 -> 08:21 PM)
We should have signed Guthrie a few years ago. Innings eater and White Sox killer.

Nah. Half of his stats the last 2 1/2 seasons were put up against the White Sox.

He's the guy you add at the very end to a playoff team's roster, but we need one more solid starter (Rodon) to think about adding that veteran depth at the back end and "wasting" that money in the short-term.

For most of this season, Rienzo/Noesi have put up basically the same stats (for almost nothing) as typical 4th/5th starters.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 13, 2014 -> 09:28 PM)
Baseball sucks. We play the Royals way too many times, especially the first half. Ditto Cleveland, Detroit, Minnie. It's bulls***. Just have a balanced schedule, baseball! This is boring.

Not a good year to play the SF Giants 4 games either.