2014-2015 NBA thread

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 30, 2014 -> 02:06 PM)
I guess it could be worse.

Candace Buckner ‏@CandaceDBuckner 24m

Per several sources, #Pacers will roll out the star treatment for Lance, & has even produced a movie in his honor to be shown after midnight

Interesting. It seemed like a moot point that Lance was on the way out. Maybe they realized how much talent / upside he has. He's probably the guy who could turn into the best buy in this FA class (with upward potential to be a major impact player). However, you have to be concerned about his chemistry, etc.

One nice thing is Thibbs and the front office seem to be on the same page this off-season, which is a huge thing for this franchise going forward, imo. Forman & Thibbs both say Rose is doing excellent and expect him to play with Team USA (barring any setbacks). I think Rose's comments were more from the standpoint of downplaying anything, especially expectations, as there is a risk that he gets cut, which isn't a shame given the fact that I would expect him to be pretty rusty. This opportunity to practice and get better experience / exposure before the season will be huge, imo, though.

I think Derrick is a really bad interview, which is why we always get these kinda sorta bad-sounding quotes from him via private interviews.

Also, I think he has bad handles, particularly Reggie. While it's irritating, it's hard for me to fault someone who is so loyal to his own brother who, despite benefiting from Derrick's success immensely, was certainly there for Derrick when nobody else was. I'd do/take a lot of s*** for my brothers, too.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 30, 2014 -> 05:32 PM)
One nice thing is Thibbs and the front office seem to be on the same page this off-season, which is a huge thing for this franchise going forward, imo. Forman & Thibbs both say Rose is doing excellent and expect him to play with Team USA (barring any setbacks).

Until they cut Boozer, trade away a piece, and then come up empty.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 30, 2014 -> 02:33 PM)

I still think they are on the same page and will come up with a plan B, that will still make the Bulls significantly better then they were this past season and a title contender. Under no scenario do I not see the Bulls as a legit title contender (unless Melo goes to the Heat and form a big 4 and that would be because no one can contend with that).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 30, 2014 -> 05:35 PM)
I still think they are on the same page and will come up with a plan B, that will still make the Bulls significantly better then they were this past season and a title contender. Under no scenario do I not see the Bulls as a legit title contender (unless Melo goes to the Heat and form a big 4 and that would be because no one can contend with that).

Even under a repeat of the DJ Augustine/other pickup as a starting PG following injury?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 30, 2014 -> 09:33 PM)

It seems pretty clear that part of being on the same page is the bulls prioritizing Taj for Thibs.

That piece is someone he can live without now, but Taj is clearly going to be a bull for better or worse.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 30, 2014 -> 02:47 PM)
Even under a repeat of the DJ Augustine/other pickup as a starting PG following injury?

Lets make up unrealistic scenario's. If Bulls don't sign Melo, they are going to still have the money to add a meaningful FA (or two) plus bring in Nikolai (to go with the addition of Dougie McBuckets). That is a significantly better team then the one we finished the season with last year.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 30, 2014 -> 05:06 PM)
Lets make up unrealistic scenario's. If Bulls don't sign Melo, they are going to still have the money to add a meaningful FA (or two) plus bring in Nikolai (to go with the addition of Dougie McBuckets). That is a significantly better team then the one we finished the season with last year.

Lets make an unrealistic scenario w/o Melo you say???

Melo goes to Houston, we sign Parsons and trade Taj/Mirotic and a future 1st for Love.

Rose-Butler-Parsons-Love-Noah.

That's my dream offseason.... Parsons/Love/Rose are all just 25.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jun 30, 2014 -> 03:34 PM)
Lets make an unrealistic scenario w/o Melo you say???

Melo goes to Houston, we sign Parsons and trade Taj/Mirotic and a future 1st for Love.

Rose-Butler-Parsons-Love-Noah.

That's my dream offseason.... Parsons/Love/Rose are all just 25.

I was referring to the, Bulls do absolutely nothing this off-season but amnesty Boozer and do nothing with their cap space scenario. There are a lot of realistic scenarios involving secondary free agents the Bulls can add, including potentially adding Pau / Mirotic / + resigning DJ. Depending on other guys availability, probably could work some other angles to add more if Bulls were willing to go extremely aggressive and leverage some S&T options.

What I like about adding Melo vs. all the other options, including Love, is that he makes us a great team regardless of Rose. With Rose, wow, what potential. Without Rose, still a very serious contender for a Finals run.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 30, 2014 -> 04:11 PM)
What I like about adding Melo vs. all the other options, including Love, is that he makes us a great team regardless of Rose. With Rose, wow, what potential. Without Rose, still a very serious contender for a Finals run.

Completely agree. Technically, even some of this upgraded teams are potential contenders (although not what I would call favorites, easily top 4 seeds; a lot more would hinge on Nik / Dougie making being pretty good which is probably asking for too much, especially this early).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 30, 2014 -> 06:07 PM)
I was referring to the, Bulls do absolutely nothing this off-season but amnesty Boozer and do nothing with their cap space scenario. There are a lot of realistic scenarios involving secondary free agents the Bulls can add, including potentially adding Pau / Mirotic / + resigning DJ. Depending on other guys availability, probably could work some other angles to add more if Bulls were willing to go extremely aggressive and leverage some S&T options.

Ahh...3 guys I'd like to see that could all probably be had are Augustin, Vince Carter, and Spencer Hawes.

Rose/Augustin

Butler/Carter/Snell

DMD/MJD/Snell

Taj/Mirotic

Noah/Hawes

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 30, 2014 -> 06:11 PM)

Exactly how I feel too.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jun 30, 2014 -> 04:29 PM)
Ahh...3 guys I'd like to see that could all probably be had are Augustin, Vince Carter, and Spencer Hawes.

Rose/Augustin

Butler/Carter/Snell

DMD/MJD/Snell

Taj/Mirotic

Noah/Hawes

With 11M in cap space, that is probably one of the least exciting ways to use the money (not to mention the fact we might be able to be flexible and find ways to S&T for someone like Pau if he does in fact want to leave).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 30, 2014 -> 06:35 PM)
With 11M in cap space, that is probably one of the least exciting ways to use the money (not to mention the fact we might be able to be flexible and find ways to S&T for someone like Pau if he does in fact want to leave).

Meh, I'd rather have Hawes who I think is rather underrated. Dude turned into pretty damn good "Stretch 5" shooting over 41% on 308 3 pointers......Vince Carter has been a really good 3 point shooter the last 2 years as well shooting .406/.396 the last 2 years.

I think Augstin is a must as well.

I saw on another basketball forum that Kyle Lowry, one of the Heat's top of their wish list guys, has reportedly agreed to stay in Toronto.

That's great news for the EC.

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jun 30, 2014 -> 04:58 PM)
I saw on another basketball forum that Kyle Lowry, one of the Heat's top of their wish list guys, has reportedly agreed to stay in Toronto.

That's great news for the EC.

The salary cap crunches have basically said with LBJ wanting near max money, there was no way Lowry would be able to go to Miami. Even with him taking a discount, it would be unlikely without it being a significant discount. LBJ is going to eat into a lot of their flexibility if he truly takes more money.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jun 30, 2014 -> 04:51 PM)
Meh, I'd rather have Hawes who I think is rather underrated. Dude turned into pretty damn good "Stretch 5" shooting over 41% on 308 3 pointers......Vince Carter has been a really good 3 point shooter the last 2 years as well shooting .406/.396 the last 2 years.

I think Augstin is a must as well.

Remember, Nik is on his way over in these scenarios (and his ability to shoot threes is not really necessary w/Nik coming on board). PAU is superior to Hawes and is an excellent compliment to other guys on the roster (not to mention his pick & roll game and ability to play with his back to the basket should be a major benefit to Rose). PAU had a 20 PER this past season which was a down season in a horrific system for him. Hawes doesn't hold Pau's jockstrap and with Taj / Noah able to both play the 5 position, spending that much money on a back-up center who can't play both the 4 and 5 seems like a major waste of resources. Pau could do both which helps a lot and his game is a major compliment to Joakim's and I don't really think Hawes is.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 30, 2014 -> 07:10 PM)
The salary cap crunches have basically said with LBJ wanting near max money, there was no way Lowry would be able to go to Miami. Even with him taking a discount, it would be unlikely without it being a significant discount. LBJ is going to eat into a lot of their flexibility if he truly takes more money.

Lol, I read somewhere that LeBron is just trolling teams into thinking they can obtain his services so they have to gut their rosters to create max cap space, then he'll quickly re-sign with the Heat at a huge discount so they can pick up the best players that were let go...I know that scenario is highly unlikely but I thought that was funny.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jun 30, 2014 -> 05:32 PM)
Lol, I read somewhere that LeBron is just trolling teams into thinking they can obtain his services so they have to gut their rosters to create max cap space, then he'll quickly re-sign with the Heat at a huge discount so they can pick up the best players that were let go...I know that scenario is highly unlikely but I thought that was funny.

No one should do anything until they have his word. If he goes back on that, then he should be tarred and feathered.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jun 30, 2014 -> 07:32 PM)

Hell I would have a hard time trusting the guy after 2010.

Cowley is reporting that barring a S&T, the Bulls pitch to Carmelo will be to take $15 million so that they can keep Taj. I have been pretty supportive of GarPax this offseason. They should be fired if keeping Taj Gibson impedes them landing Anthony. Why do we overrate players so bad? It's f***ing Taj Gibson. Who cares. Get Melo his $20 million and do whatever it takes. Figure out the rest later.