2015 MLB Draft

ChiSoxJon

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 5, 2015 -> 01:33 PM)
Here's Keith Law's updated top 100: It's insider content. As usual, let me know if you want the article. http://espn.go.com/blog/keith-law/insider/post?id=3896

Highlights:

1. Brendan Rodgers SS Lake Mary HS

2. Kevin Newman SS Arizona

3. Dansby Swanson SS Vanderbilt

4. Dillon Tate RHP UC Santa Barbara

5. Kolby Allard LHP Sam Clemente HS

6. Alex Bregman 2B LSU

7. Ian Happ OF Cincinnati

8. Garrett Whitley CF HS NY

9. Walker Buehler RHP Vanderbilt

10. Kyle Tucker Plant HS Tampa Bay, FL

11. Kyle Funkhouser RHP Louisville

12. Mike Nikorak RHP HS PA

17. Daz Cameron

16. Tyler Jay LHP Illinois

19. Mike Matuella RHP Duke

20. Nate Kirby LHP Virginia

26. Brady Aiken

30. Jacob Nix

39. Phil Bickford

44. Carson Fulmer

52. Justin Hooper LP De La Salle HS

Good - several position players we could take.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ May 5, 2015 -> 02:44 PM)
That would be fantastic. Tucker will be a building block in the minors, that the Sox can add to their developing core but the Sox have to be careful with his development like all teams do with any player.

In conjunction with this, I want to see Buddy B promoted to a currently nonexistent position, while bringing in some coaches and development expertise from way, way OUTSIDE the current org.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 5, 2015 -> 06:33 PM)
Here's Keith Law's updated top 100: It's insider content. As usual, let me know if you want the article. http://espn.go.com/blog/keith-law/insider/post?id=3896

Highlights:

1. Brendan Rodgers SS Lake Mary HS

2. Kevin Newman SS Arizona

3. Dansby Swanson SS Vanderbilt

4. Dillon Tate RHP UC Santa Barbara

5. Kolby Allard LHP Sam Clemente HS

6. Alex Bregman 2B LSU

7. Ian Happ OF Cincinnati

8. Garrett Whitley CF HS NY

9. Walker Buehler RHP Vanderbilt

10. Kyle Tucker Plant HS Tampa Bay, FL

11. Kyle Funkhouser RHP Louisville

12. Mike Nikorak RHP HS PA

17. Daz Cameron

16. Tyler Jay LHP Illinois

19. Mike Matuella RHP Duke

20. Nate Kirby LHP Virginia

26. Brady Aiken

30. Jacob Nix

39. Phil Bickford

44. Carson Fulmer

52. Justin Hooper LP De La Salle HS

jeeze, Garrett Whitley is climbing really fast. i started following him on my own about a 2 weeks ago. first time i see Nix at 30 or better. surprised.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ May 5, 2015 -> 08:29 PM)
Too bad. Sox will nab him just before, I hope. I can dream of a future OF with he and Adolfo.

here is a question to you, b/c i am trying to drag you into more of these discussions and others. i have confidence in Joshua Strong opinions.

remember no one is wrong and everyone is right.

who would you take Garrett Whitley or K. Tucker???

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (LDF @ May 5, 2015 -> 04:44 PM)
here is a question to you, b/c i am trying to drag you into more of these discussions and others. i have confidence in Joshua Strong opinions.

Kyle Tucker in a heartbeat, while I am confident in Whitely's prospects, I think that Tucker will be a better player. He has a very projectable body at 6'4 190lbs. He has the bat speed that you look for and he projects to hit for a high average while being a run producer for your team going forward. I do know that Whitley projects to be a five tool player, but I have not seen enough video on him to want to take him over Tucker.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ May 5, 2015 -> 04:25 PM)
In conjunction with this, I want to see Buddy B promoted to a currently nonexistent position, while bringing in some coaches and development expertise from way, way OUTSIDE the current org.

In regards to the White Sox, if there is anything that I want to see changed its the scouting department. Maybe promote Marco Paddy to scouting director and bring in some people from outside the org.

QUOTE (LDF @ May 5, 2015 -> 03:44 PM)

I like the taller, sweet swinging leftY, as long as they're certain that his frame projects to way more size and strength than a Ryan Sweeney.Look at his dad, uncles etc., lol.Honestly don't know a lot about either but loved the Tucker swing vids.

Also, and I don't enjoy giving the Cubs props, but if their interest in Tucker is real, our guys should take a longer look. Lord Theo , if nothing else, is able to hire the best draft and development guys out there. RH should pilfer a few.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ May 6, 2015 -> 12:06 AM)
I like the taller, sweet swinging leftY, as long as they're certain that his frame projects to way more size and strength than a Ryan Sweeney.Look at his dad, uncles etc., lol.Honestly don't know a lot about either but loved the Tucker swing vids.

Also, and I don't enjoy giving the Cubs props, but if their interest in Tucker is real, our guys should take a longer look. Lord Theo , if nothing else, is able to hire the best draft and development guys out there. RH should pilfer a few.

it could be blowing smoke and the rest of that cliche'. look at last yr selection for them, came out of no where.

re: tuckey and whitley. that is the problem of selecting hs'ers. the uncertainty of further development. Tucker does have a sweet swing. remind me of griffey quick swing. but Whitley, he has monster power. i think no one can't go wrong on either selection.

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 5, 2015 -> 08:34 PM)
Obviously I am not insinuating that Whitely is going to be the best player in the game, but he has some Mike Trout to him. Overlooked playing in the Northeast, thick athletic body, power-speed combo, good makeup, etc. Could be a diamond in the rough for someone not picking 8th :D

That is a really good comp.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ May 5, 2015 -> 06:06 PM)

The Cubs, Rangers, Dodgers, Padres, Nationals come to mind.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ May 6, 2015 -> 02:05 AM)
Are Rogers, Swanson and Tate considered the top tier?

you have to take what i am going to say like a grain of salt, i am not a draft guru.

but for me. there is only 1 top prospect in this yr draft in that top tier as you mention, that is Rogers. now Swanson and yeah even Tate is the next level, no one else in that tier. then the next is a quasi tier of mixed prospects. however there are still some very good looking prospects peaking.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ May 5, 2015 -> 08:41 PM)
The Cubs, Rangers, Dodgers, Padres, Nationals come to mind.

Sure. I want to hire guys away from each. Put some important money into the system to get different draft and development ideas.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 25, 2015 -> 10:59 AM)
Tyler Jay - Slight lefty with a big fastball. The top pick from the B1G. Has been pitched exclusively out of the pen at U of I to the dismay of many baseball writers. Keith Law loves him. The view on him is that he could be an elite reliever but some team will think they can make a starter out of him. I am sure the Sox will be tied to him given their history with pitchers. 0-1 lifetime against raBBit after a tough 3-2 loss many Memorial Days ago. From Lemont, Illinois and Lemont High School.

:lol: I enjoyed this part. Well done.

QUOTE (LDF @ May 5, 2015 -> 09:50 PM)
you have to take what i am going to say like a grain of salt, i am not a draft guru.

but for me. there is only 1 top prospect in this yr draft in that top tier as you mention, that is Rogers. now Swanson and yeah even Tate is the next level, no one else in that tier. then the next is a quasi tier of mixed prospects. however there are still some very good looking prospects peaking.

That's what I thought. After those three kids, it looks a bit like a free for all. Still very confusing at this point.

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 6, 2015 -> 01:34 AM)
Obviously I am not insinuating that Whitely is going to be the best player in the game, but he has some Mike Trout to him. Overlooked playing in the Northeast, thick athletic body, power-speed combo, good makeup, etc. Could be a diamond in the rough for someone not picking 8th :D

i like the subtleness of this statement.

i like it.

Keith Law has a piece on ESPN about Prep Catcher Stephenson possibly going to Arizona at #1: http://espn.go.com/blog/keith-law/insider/post?id=3890

Some other highlights:

Arizona could go against consensus with Stephenson or Garrett Whitley.

Houston wants 2 position players and he has them with Dansby Swanson and Daz Cameron. They aren't as high on Rodgers as everyone else.

Colorado wants pitching at #3 and Law has them taking Dillon Tate.

Texas has been linked to Walker Buehler but he thinks they'd take Brendan Rodgers

Links Kolby Allard to Twins at #6

He says from multiple sources that Alex Bregman won't fall past 7 to Boston

Law says that White Sox want college pitching at 8 and lists Funkhouser, Jay, and Kirby

Cubs interested in HS OF Trenton Clark among others.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 6, 2015 -> 04:58 PM)
Keith Law has a piece on ESPN about Prep Catcher Stephenson possibly going to Arizona at #1: http://espn.go.com/blog/keith-law/insider/post?id=3890

Some other highlights:

Houston wants 2 position players and he has them with Dansby Swanson and Daz Cameron. They aren't as high on Rodgers as everyone else.

Texas has been linked to Walker Buehler but he thinks they'd take Brendan Rodgers

Law says that White Sox want college pitching at 8 and lists Funkhouser, Jay, and Kirby

now i get it. i just couldn't see this and why.... i mean why would Arz wanted Stephenson or Whitley. according to some blogs i have been reading. it has been mentioned that Arz wants to go with someone other than the favorites to save cap money. they are going to want some big money to go for some hs'ers who they are planning on picking in round 2 and 3 and want to entice them with money.

so with that Law comes up with his scenario, and his mock.

that mean Hou will be the key in the the draft, well not in the 1 selection. that mean Rodgers there.

and then comes the domino effect. wow... a lot of different choices now.

now, i can't see who Tx can pick, and there is no judging what Minny will do.

oh man, i am loving this.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 6, 2015 -> 10:58 AM)

Some other highlights:

In the words of Daniel Bryan, YES! YES! YES! I would love that

QUOTE (LDF @ May 6, 2015 -> 10:08 PM)
now i get it. i just couldn't see this and why.... i mean why would Arz wanted Stephenson or Whitley. according to some blogs i have been reading. it has been mentioned that Arz wants to go with someone other than the favorites to save cap money. they are going to want some big money to go for some hs'ers who they are planning on picking in round 2 and 3 and want to entice them with money.

so with that Law comes up with his scenario, and his mock.

that mean Hou will be the key in the the draft, well not in the 1 selection. that mean Rodgers there.

and then comes the domino effect. wow... a lot of different choices now.

now, i can't see who Tx can pick, and there is no judging what Minny will do.

oh man, i am loving this.

well, with the name of prep - catcher - Tyler Stephenson being mentioned with the Arz pick, i needed to get some up to date info, stats and read his profile. so i am wondering, who is he, what is making him so special. with that, he was hurt until the middle of April, he has had a brief time playing ball this yr.

i guess, and this is why i do not kid myself of a wanna be scout, of doing this professionally, they need a special gift. in a short time, scouts have rave about his power, his hit tools. the only thing i have able to put anything about his defensive tools is, he will stay at catcher with an outstanding throwing arm. it has been mention while he is really slow running wise, he has quick feet, quick reaction and is agile behind the plate.

slow and quick, isn't this a contradiction?

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/high-...-start-georgia/

http://www.perfectgame.org/Players/Playerp....aspx?ID=278751

SoxPride is going to like this from the Keith Law chat: Justin (Chicago)

Rumor is the White Sox are targeting college pitchers with their first pick. What are your thoughts on organizations who target only a specific group of players? Specifically to the White Sox, they really have not developed a hitter forever. Do some orgs just feel as though they have a better strength and developing position players or pitchers, so they target them more?

Klaw (1:23 PM)

I think the White Sox have such a good track record developing pitchers I wouldn't question them taking another one - it's a clear core competence at this point. I've heard them specifically on Tyler Jay at 8.

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 7, 2015 -> 05:51 PM)
The Sox love the low milage/high doubt to start arms. If that's a thing. I really hope all the meatballs put the "Keith Law hates the White Sox" stuff to bed. I don't know if it has something to do with Hahn taking over but he has great respect for the Sox and expresses it far more often than the Sox even deserve.

at least he give credit to the sox for developing the pitchers. that first part was confusing on how it was copied. then i got it. the first part was the question and the last part was Law answer.