2015 MLB Draft

ChiSoxJon

I will be happy with any of the following:

Swanson

Fulmer

Happ

Jay

Bregman

Really want Swanson or Fulmer tho, but imagine both will be gone. In that case, take Happ. Advanced bat that could move quickly and slot in at corner OF or second.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is me, i really am having a hard time using a high first rounder on a pitcher who may be a rp or is a rp.

the org need impact players, whether they be sp or positional players. this org has a hole in 3b, also maybe in ss, and i am meaning hitting and defence.

anderson is the sox ss of the future, but that does not mean they can stop addressing that positions.

yeah, the sox sign several int'l players who can play ss, but what are they 5-6 yrs away.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 16, 2015 -> 03:49 PM)
I think he has an article coming out in the next few days, but Kiley McDaniel has said a few times he's heard teams in the 6-10 range of this draft are planning on cost-saving deals with their first pick (ie: Cubs last year with Schwarber).

Thats where I think Matuella could be a fit, or DJ Stewart as I have mentioned a couple times in thread. The Sox will not draft Matuella if he wants full slot value, but if they can get a discount and roll that money into some high school kids later in the draft it could make sense. I think it will almost definitely be a college player at number 8 as they are likely to roll the dice on some high school kids in rounds four and five.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Apr 20, 2015 -> 01:13 PM)
Thats where I think Matuella could be a fit, or DJ Stewart as I have mentioned a couple times in thread. The Sox will not draft Matuella if he wants full slot value, but if they can get a discount and roll that money into some high school kids later in the draft it could make sense. I think it will almost definitely be a college player at number 8 as they are likely to roll the dice on some high school kids in rounds four and five.

The Sox not having 2nd and 3rd round picks + Matuella and Aiken's stock dropping make me think they'd be more interested, especially if Coop and Herm approved.

High upside talent that can likely be signed underslot.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Apr 20, 2015 -> 06:19 PM)
The Sox not having 2nd and 3rd round picks + Matuella and Aiken's stock dropping make me think they'd be more interested, especially if Coop and Herm approved.

High upside talent that can likely be signed underslot.

i think that is the key and how the sox FO will address the draft.

I would draft Kyle Tucker at #8 overall and have him be my LF of the future. I think he's going to be a guy that's hits for .290 while hitting 25 homers and driving in 95 rbi a year from the left side of the plate. And he projects as a plus defender in the outfield.

Can you imagine an outfield featuring him and Micker together?

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Apr 20, 2015 -> 01:16 PM)
I would draft Kyle Tucker at #8 overall and have him be my LF of the future. I think he's going to be a guy that's hits for .290 while hitting 25 homers and driving in 95 rbi a year from the left side of the plate. And he projects as a plus defender in the outfield.

The rate this season is going, I can imagine them playing for the Havana White Sox by that point.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Apr 20, 2015 -> 02:16 PM)

A LF who hits .290 with 25 HR and plus defense in the OF? That's an All Star level player. Heck that's a guy who could get MVP votes if he does even a little better than that. That's an insane projection. I mean I hope he does, but sheesh.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 20, 2015 -> 10:13 PM)
A LF who hits .290 with 25 HR and plus defense in the OF? That's an All Star level player. Heck that's a guy who could get MVP votes if he does even a little better than that. That's an insane projection. I mean I hope he does, but sheesh.

yeah that is some lofty numbers, but this is a big IF he develops as expected, he can do it. but that is alot to put on a teenager going to be 18-19 yrs old.

also look at how Hawkins took a hiccup and may not developed as org hope.

but dang, look at the bloodline, his brother preston playing, for i think Hou.

at the beginning of this college season, i was envisioning hawkins, mickler and tucker. of course this is 4-5 yrs down the road.

however the sox need a little help in the near future and this draft can help.

.@UVABaseball announced the injury to LHP Nathan Kirby is a strained lat muscle. That's good news considering the alternative

per tweet.

https://twitter.com/KendallRogersD1/status/...244979895263232

good, no arm injury, no shoulder injury, no surgery. the problem is this doesn't help out the sox in defining the the top 7 selections in the upcoming draft. :D

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 20, 2015 -> 04:13 PM)

You are absolutely correct, at reddit when we did our reports on players, we wrote our projections under the assumption that everything pans out for that player and that's what I wrote for Kyle Tucker. That's what I wrote when I 'scouted' him and that's what I'm sticking to.

Edited by Joshua Strong

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Apr 20, 2015 -> 08:05 PM)
You are absolutely correct, at reddit when we did our reports on players, we wrote our projections under the assumption that everything pans out for that player and that's what I wrote for Kyle Tucker. That's what I wrote when I 'scouted' him and that's what I'm sticking to.

I don't think the Sox are going to go high school bat in the first round without second and third round picks as they don't have a way to back up the pick with a higher floor player. I think if the Sox are going to sign Reyes, they have enough depth in the system at OF not to go after Tucker who will cost probably most if not all of your slot at that pick. The Sox are going to need to be creative to add as much high level talent as possible in the draft, going all in on a first round pick is not a good path to success.

Tucker likely is gone by the Astros at #5 anyway so the point is pretty moot.

Judging on buzz thus far:

1. Arizona - Brendan Rogers

2. Houston - Dillon Tate

3. Colorado - Carson Fulmer

4. Texas - Chad Smith

5. Houston - Kyle Tucker

6. Minnesota - ? Mike Nikorak

7. Boston - Alex Bregman

8. SOX - ?

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Apr 21, 2015 -> 01:25 PM)
I don't think the Sox are going to go high school bat in the first round without second and third round picks as they don't have a way to back up the pick with a higher floor player. I think if the Sox are going to sign Reyes, they have enough depth in the system at OF not to go after Tucker who will cost probably most if not all of your slot at that pick. The Sox are going to need to be creative to add as much high level talent as possible in the draft, going all in on a first round pick is not a good path to success.

Tucker likely is gone by the Astros at #5 anyway so the point is pretty moot.

Judging on buzz thus far:

1. Arizona - Brendan Rogers

2. Houston - Dillon Tate

3. Colorado - Carson Fulmer

4. Texas - Chad Smith

5. Houston - Kyle Tucker

6. Minnesota - ? Mike Nikorak

7. Boston - Alex Bregman

8. SOX - ?

Reyes is not a outfielder in the majors, he'll be playing first base in majors. I believe Kiley McDaniel reports and you can pretty much chalk up Reyes to the White Sox as a done deal. Once it is officially announced by the club on July 2nd, I am going to start think of him as the first baseman of the future and as Abreu's potential, long term replacement.

And you said that the Sox are going to want to save money with their pick, thats the whole Houston Astros m.o., they save as much money as they can in regards to amateur talent and spread their resources around. That probably rules out Tucker for them as well. I see that they are mocked to Tate, who is a college player in this draft, but I can see Tate getting every penny that he is entitled to and not signing below slot.

Edited by Joshua Strong

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Apr 21, 2015 -> 02:27 PM)
Reyes is not a outfielder in the majors, he'll be playing first base in majors. I believe Kiley McDaniel reports and you can pretty much chalk up Reyes to the White Sox as a done deal. Once it is officially announced by the club on July 2nd, I am going to start think of him as the first baseman of the future and as Abreu's potential, long term replacement.

And you said that the Sox are going to want to save money with their pick, thats the whole Houston Astros m.o., they save as much money as they can in regards to amateur talent and spread their resources around. That probably rules out Tucker for them as well. I see that they are mocked to Tate, who is a college player in this draft, but I can see Tate getting every penny that he is entitled to and not signing below slot.

That has been the Astros way, but they also have not picked lower than 1 since they have employed that model. They did trade for an extra comp pick to add to their bonus pool so I could see them getting both of these guys for about 80% of slot value and then going really cheap in the comp round to spread those savings out later.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Apr 20, 2015 -> 07:05 PM)

Sounds a lot like Heyward but with a prettier swing, less K's/erratic offensive performance and maybe a notch or two below defensively.

Something in between Heyward and Alex Gordon would be nice, haha.

this is a great topic today, i came back and want to my thoughts. i am going to use this mock and add to it.

1. Arizona - Brendan Rogers >>> i agree

2. Houston - Dillon Tate >>> Swanson or Tate

3. Colorado - Carson Fulmer >>> Tate or Fulmer

4. Texas - Chad Smith >>> Kirby or Fulmer or Buehler

5. Houston - Kyle Tucker >>> Tucker

6. Minnesota - ? Mike Nikorak >>> Kirby or Funkhouser

7. Boston - Alex Bregman >>> Nikorak or Funkhouser or Bergman

8, Sox >>>>> i still see Happ or Kirby, if not over slot with Newman. still will need to address the idea of a 3b backup.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (LDF @ Apr 22, 2015 -> 10:44 AM)
if the key players are not there at #8, and the sox wanted to go overslot, who would you pick??

Missing picks at #2 and #3, it is going to be extremely difficult to go overslot at #8. Plus all of the pitching injuries are making this draft a mess.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 22, 2015 -> 05:22 PM)
Missing picks at #2 and #3, it is going to be extremely difficult to go overslot at #8. Plus all of the pitching injuries are making this draft a mess.

exactly, but the problem lies on who is there.

nice point btw, so Hahn and his people will prob be having many different scenario, asking the most important question at the time, what if, this player is not there and these players are selected already.

i love this brain wrecking scene. it going to be fun.

interesting revamp mock. this mock doesn't have the teams listed, but players listed.

i find that the list is interesting with players updates.

http://www.drafttotheshow.com/the-mock/

JS posted the minor league and that list has the players updated as well, but, i don't agree with the #8 selection

http://minorleaguemadhouse.com/2015/04/21/...-april-edition/

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 22, 2015 -> 02:08 PM)
Here is Keith Law's top 50 for the draft. You need insider to read it: http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/keith-law/...er/post?id=3876

He also has another piece where he mentions White Sox linked to Buehler, Funkhouser, and Nikorak.

Heres the list:

Brendan Rogers

Kevin Newman

Dansby Swanson

Dillon Tate

Kolby Allard

Ian Happ

Alex Bregman

Walker Buehler

Kyle Funkhouser

Mike Nikorak

Daz Cameron

Nick Plummer

Trenton Clark

Kyle Tucker

Michael Matuella

Kep Brown

Donnie Everett

Nate Kirby

Garret Whitley

Cody Ponce

Drew Finley

Jon Harris

Ke’Bryan Hayes

Brady Aiken

James Kaprielian

Juan Hillman

Jalen Miller

Kyler Murray

Jacob Nix

Tristan Beck

Mitchell Hansen

Cornelius Randolph

Phil Bickford

Chad Smith

Alonzo Jones

Ashe Russell

Joe McCarthy

Tyler Jay

Jacob Woodford

Richie Martin

Chris Betts

Carson Fulmer

Triston McKenzie

Nick Neidert

Beau Burrows

Justin Hooper

Scott Kingery

Blake Trahan

Jahami Jones

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Apr 22, 2015 -> 08:06 PM)
Heres the list:

Brendan Rogers

Kevin Newman

Dansby Swanson

Dillon Tate

Kolby Allard

Ian Happ

Alex Bregman

Walker Buehler

Kyle Funkhouser

Mike Nikorak

Daz Cameron

Nick Plummer

Trenton Clark

Kyle Tucker

Michael Matuella

Kep Brown

Donnie Everett

Nate Kirby

Garret Whitley

Cody Ponce

Drew Finley

Jon Harris

Ke’Bryan Hayes

Brady Aiken

James Kaprielian

Juan Hillman

Jalen Miller

Kyler Murray

Jacob Nix

Tristan Beck

Mitchell Hansen

Cornelius Randolph

Phil Bickford

Chad Smith

Alonzo Jones

Ashe Russell

Joe McCarthy

Tyler Jay

Jacob Woodford

Richie Martin

Chris Betts

Carson Fulmer

Triston McKenzie

Nick Neidert

Beau Burrows

Justin Hooper

Scott Kingery

Blake Trahan

Jahami Jones

jeeze.... r u serious newman at #2???? i know that Happ and Newman have the best hit tools for college players entering the draft, but to rise and be selected at #2??