2015 MLB Draft

ChiSoxJon

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they take Cameron because of his White Sox roots, I'm going to....

Happ would be fine, same with Fulmer.

Matuella, Kirby and Cameron are way down, and nobody knows yet with Aiken's uncertain medicals...anywhere from 7-10, to the 20's to the 40's in the early second round (and a lot less money, unfortunately, for him and his family).

Chris Betts, Tyler Stephenson and Taylor Ward are the 3 top catchers on the board at the moment. Lucas Herbert in the 3rd-5th round.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 18, 2015 -> 09:59 AM)

Matuella, Kirby and Cameron are way down, and nobody knows yet with Aiken's uncertain medicals...anywhere from 7-10, to the 20's to the 40's in the early second round (and a lot less money, unfortunately, for him and his family).

Chris Betts, Tyler Stephenson and Taylor Ward are the 3 top catchers on the board at the moment. Lucas Herbert in the 3rd-5th round.

I agree with you on Cameron, he's a young, raw HS project OFer, one we don't need, Matuella and Aiken will almost definitely fall out of the first round, and I'm glad you mentioned those catchers, this syetem is lacking a top notch legitimate prospective C

QUOTE (LDF @ Apr 18, 2015 -> 02:13 AM)
great job.... a big question, do you think Wiseman and Long would drop that much. getting Swanson would make this draft extremely nice, if the sox can pick him. what are your thoughts on the 3 positional players from Arz, Newman, Scott Kingery, Dalbec ???

1) Thanks a lot, I spent some time on this

2)I'm not entirely sure that Wiseman or Long will drop that much but anything is possible, they were ranked in the same area of where our Sox were picking in a recent draft board I used to mock, I love Wiseman as a prospect, he has room for power and already is a solid contact hitter with plus speed a cannon arm and a terrific glove, they're both round 2-5 prospects in my opinion and around 3-4 on most draft boards.

3) I'd love Swanson too, great all around player and probably the top college position player, he'd immediately improve our already on the rise farm system, the only downside is the log jam our system has of almost MLB-ready middle infielders, he'd only add to that (Johnson, Sanchez, Saladino, Anderson, etc.)

4) I ignorantly don't know where they'll be drafted, but after some research Scott Kingery is my favorite of that trio, it looks like Newman is a potential top 5-10 pick after a great season and Kingery has comparisons to Kinsler and Pedroia for his swing, size, wrists, defense, and bat speed, Kingery looks like a supplemental pick so or Sox won't have a shot with him, if Swanson, Bregman, Buehler, Fulmer, and f***houser re still on the board at #8, I'd rank them as Buehler>Swanson>Fulmer>Funkhouser>Bregman for our Sox

I love the new look Sox system since '13 after dominating on all phases: Draft (Anderson, Danish, Lowry, Mitchell, May in '13; Rodon, Adams, Austin, Jarvis, Fry, Trexler, Peter in '14), International (Adolfo, Alfaro, Nunez, Mercedes, Mota); and trades (Montas, Davidson, Sanburn, Rondon, Ynoa), I look forward to what '15 brings with the 8th overall pick, north of 5.3 million to spend on the draft, a trade-able John Danks, north of 3.4 millon to spend internationally, and already likely power hitting 16 years old Dominican RF Franklin Reyes, this system is underrated in my opinion, lot better than when KW traded for guys like Castro and Nestor Molina and Hynick, what wastes, Hahn just gets value after value (my only flaw under Hahn has been signing Jeff Keppinger to so much, Davidson for Reed was a good thought and still might pan out)

Edited by ChiSoxJon

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Apr 18, 2015 -> 09:29 AM)
Matuella and Aiken will almost definitely fall out of the first round

I'd wager both of these players will still be first rounders. See history of Hoffman, Fedde, Manaea, and Giolito.

I've watched Vandy a couple times this season and I've been really impressed with how smooth of an athlete Dansby Swanson is. He's going to be a solid major league player, hope he's there at 8.

QUOTE (LDF @ Apr 18, 2015 -> 12:13 AM)
great job.... a big question, do you think Wiseman and Long would drop that much. getting Swanson would make this draft extremely nice, if the sox can pick him. what are your thoughts on the 3 positional players from Arz, Newman, Scott Kingery, Dalbec ???

Kingery is related to Mike who played mostly for Sea?

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Apr 18, 2015 -> 08:33 AM)
1) Thanks a lot, I spent some time on this

2)I'm not entirely sure that Wiseman or Long will drop that much but anything is possible, they were ranked in the same area of where our Sox were picking in a recent draft board I used to mock, I love Wiseman as a prospect, he has room for power and already is a solid contact hitter with plus speed a cannon arm and a terrific glove, they're both round 2-5 prospects in my opinion and around 3-4 on most draft boards.

3) I'd love Swanson too, great all around player and probably the top college position player, he'd immediately improve our already on the rise farm system, the only downside is the log jam our system has of almost MLB-ready middle infielders, he'd only add to that (Johnson, Sanchez, Saladino, Anderson, etc.)

4) I ignorantly don't know where they'll be drafted, but after some research Scott Kingery is my favorite of that trio, it looks like Newman is a potential top 5-10 pick after a great season and Kingery has comparisons to Kinsler and Pedroia for his swing, size, wrists, defense, and bat speed, Kingery looks like a supplemental pick so or Sox won't have a shot with him, if Swanson, Bregman, Buehler, Fulmer, and f***houser re still on the board at #8, I'd rank them as Buehler>Swanson>Fulmer>Funkhouser>Bregman for our Sox

I love the new look Sox system since '13 after dominating on all phases: Draft (Anderson, Danish, Lowry, Mitchell, May in '13; Rodon, Adams, Austin, Jarvis, Fry, Trexler, Peter in '14), International (Adolfo, Alfaro, Nunez, Mercedes, Mota); and trades (Montas, Davidson, Sanburn, Rondon, Ynoa), I look forward to what '15 brings with the 8th overall pick, north of 5.3 million to spend on the draft, a trade-able John Danks, north of 3.4 millon to spend internationally, and already likely power hitting 16 years old Dominican RF Franklin Reyes, this system is underrated in my opinion, lot better than when KW traded for guys like Castro and Nestor Molina and Hynick, what wastes, Hahn just gets value after value (my only flaw under Hahn has been signing Jeff Keppinger to so much, Davidson for Reed was a good thought and still might pan out)

Good post....Belisario might have been okay as well if not forced into closer's role.

Paulino wasnt a loss of much.

You can probably put overpaying Bonifacio at a position with high relative depth..but another OF injury puts him more into play fwiw. And otoh, youd probably prefer to see what Trayce can do if the Sox are out of it in mid-May.

Does anyone know what injury Ynoa suffered his last outing?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 18, 2015 -> 01:59 PM)

the sox picking at #8, will be the last top 10 pick for a while. this is an important pick. this pick will need to be a impact player kind. the sox can not waste it on a project with questionable tools. questionable b/c of the length of time it would take to see if he develops as hope or he looses some of his tools. those kind of picks are for the late first round or later. not in the top 10.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 18, 2015 -> 04:27 PM)
How does Swanson compare with Nick Gordon, Correa and Trea Turner?

Seems to be a 15-18ish homer guy at the next level.

How good is his D at ss?

And what about Happ?

i like Swanson, he has the tools to stay at SS but depending on who is picking him, he has the tools to be a 2b and 3b.

i look at his power numbers and i find them to be misleading. my question is, has he peaked in his power? so i am going to be real conservative and say he should be in the 8-13 range.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Apr 18, 2015 -> 10:57 AM)
I'd wager both of these players will still be first rounders. See history of Hoffman, Fedde, Manaea, and Giolito.

The kid from Duke not only has TJ surgery but also 2 major back issues, I can see him sliding out of the 1st, Aiken has had elbow problems (why HOU didn't sign him maybe) and now needs Tommy John, he has a better shot at staying in the 1st but will likely fall out too

PS. Manaea technically fell out of the first round and was a lock for a top 3 pick before surgery, Aiken and the kid from Duke were both borderline top 10 this year, Giolito was a lock for #1 and TJ dropped him roughly 15

QUOTE (Dunt @ Apr 18, 2015 -> 11:09 AM)
I've watched Vandy a couple times this season and I've been really impressed with how smooth of an athlete Dansby Swanson is. He's going to be a solid major league player, hope he's there at 8.

As do I, love his hustle and swing, great glove too

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 18, 2015 -> 12:27 PM)

How good is his D at ss?

And what about Happ?

I definitely see him as 15 HR grinder type SS, with an average around .290

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Apr 18, 2015 -> 09:29 AM)
I agree with you on Cameron, he's a young, raw HS project OFer, one we don't need, Matuella and Aiken will almost definitely fall out of the first round, and I'm glad you mentioned those catchers, this syetem is lacking a top notch legitimate prospective C

Im still high on Cameron, but I would like to see the team start invest heavily into the catching position both in the amateur draft and in international free agency

QUOTE (LDF @ Apr 18, 2015 -> 12:43 PM)
the sox picking at #8, will be the last top 10 pick for a while. this is an important pick. this pick will need to be a impact player kind. the sox can not waste it on a project with questionable tools. questionable b/c of the length of time it would take to see if he develops as hope or he looses some of his tools. those kind of picks are for the late first round or later. not in the top 10.

Fully agree

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 18, 2015 -> 12:33 PM)
Good post....Belisario might have been okay as well if not forced into closer's role.

Paulino wasnt a loss of much.

You can probably put overpaying Bonifacio at a position with high relative depth..but another OF injury puts him more into play fwiw. And otoh, youd probably prefer to see what Trayce can do if the Sox are out of it in mid-May.

Does anyone know what injury Ynoa suffered his last outing?

Thanks man, I agree with Belisario but Paulino was awful to me, Bonifacio is already questionable, and yes I'd rather see Trayce but he needs his AB and Shuck has been solid, Hahn covers up his mistakes with dominant signings and influxes of talent, also locking up our core for cheap, already like Hahn more than KW

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Apr 16, 2015 -> 05:29 PM)
Yeah, you guys are terrific with the info.

The highest picks in two years of Hahn are Anderson, Danish, Rodon and Adams. That's a good group , imo, so I'm going to have faith that this year will also be satisfactory, despite the lost picks andregardless of my first impression on Draft Day.

Thank you

So I was thinking this morning about what players prior to the draft/during draft selection show did I really miss on (as well as the few I guess right on). Here they are:

- I was completely against the White Sox drafting a "grinder" from the northeast out of high school. To me, I thought Trout's ceiling would be that of Aaron Rowand.

- I loved the scouting videos of Stetson Allie and Matthew Hobgood

- When the Sox drafted Chris Sale, a part of me was hoping they'd take Josh Sale instead

- As many on here know, I was all in on Rodon last year and have huge expectations for him

- I thought Beckham would be a multi-year all-star, but deep down I was worried he benefited a lot from using an aluminum bat

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 18, 2015 -> 11:27 AM)

How good is his D at ss?

And what about Happ?

I see him as a 12-15 HR guy with average to plus defense at SS. Very fluid movement, range seems pretty solid, and has more than enough arm. Ideally, thinking long term, I would love to draft him, have him slot in at SS in the near future, and move Anderson to second.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Apr 18, 2015 -> 02:49 PM)
I see him as a 12-15 HR guy with average to plus defense at SS. Very fluid movement, range seems pretty solid, and has more than enough arm. Ideally, thinking long term, I would love to draft him, have him slot in at SS in the near future, and move Anderson to second.

I believe one of Johnson or Sanchez will hold down 2B for the foreseeable future. If the sox draft Swanson it wouldn't surprise me to see them move Anderson off SS and try him at 3B.

QUOTE (beautox @ Apr 18, 2015 -> 02:58 PM)
I believe one of Johnson or Sanchez will hold down 2B for the foreseeable future. If the sox draft Swanson it wouldn't surprise me to see them move Anderson off SS and try him at 3B.

I don't get the impression his arm would stick at 3rd