2015 MLB Draft

ChiSoxJon

QUOTE (southside hitman @ May 28, 2015 -> 11:13 AM)
Keith Law released his second edition of his mock draft and the White Sox selection has not changed from Carson Fulmer. At this point, it would be a shock if the Sox selected anyone but Tyler Jay or Carson Fulmer.

At this point I would be surprised if either reaches the White Sox.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ May 28, 2015 -> 12:25 PM)
Yep, I'd be very happy with Jay or Fulmer.

Same. Fulmer's delivery really doesn't bother me. He has proven he can strike guys out at a great rate in college, and has maintained to stay healthy his entire career (knocks on wood).

QUOTE (fathom @ May 28, 2015 -> 12:33 PM)
If they're both off, I'm hoping for Happ or Stephenson (or Tate if he slips)

I'd take Stephenson, but as McDaniel suggested, they would still likely go to college pitcher in Jon Harris.

Edited by SoxPride18

QUOTE (fathom @ May 28, 2015 -> 12:33 PM)
If they're both off, I'm hoping for Happ or Stephenson (or Tate if he slips)

I havent heard Stephenson's name come up near enough. I would love that pick.

QUOTE (beautox @ May 29, 2015 -> 07:27 AM)
I don't think the sox pass on Jay or Fulmer if they're there, If both are gone i'm not opposed to Tyler Stephensen or Happ.

i don't know.

Stephensen will take several more yrs to develop. this system will be needing to start producing replacement players soon. i am looking at a timetable of 2 yrs in needing to see a rtn. the pitching group the system has now, is closest to start adding players to the parent club, maybe as of next yr.

that still doesn't fix the holes the main team has already. those need to be address in other ways.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (beautox @ May 29, 2015 -> 01:27 AM)
I don't think the sox pass on Jay or Fulmer if they're there, If both are gone i'm not opposed to Tyler Stephensen or Happ.

If they take Fulmer, I think he's in the White Sox bullpen to end the season.

QUOTE (beautox @ May 29, 2015 -> 01:27 AM)

Those are the 4 names I am hoping they are deciding between right now

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ May 29, 2015 -> 08:57 AM)
Fulmer is the No. 1 target, and I'd be OK with Jay. But if they're both gone, please no Stephenson. I get that people want a catcher, but a high school hitter of any kind makes me wary with this organization.

I actually think Jay is the #1 target.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ May 29, 2015 -> 08:57 AM)
Fulmer is the No. 1 target, and I'd be OK with Jay. But if they're both gone, please no Stephenson. I get that people want a catcher, but a high school hitter of any kind makes me wary with this organization.

May I ask why? All reports seem to think he can stick behind the plate even with his larger frame. I wouldn't mind a college bat who could be making a difference at the major league level within 2 years, but there doesnt seem to be many of those. Swanson and Bregman will both be gone by then and 8 seems a little high for Happ and Benintendi.

Edited by Dunt

QUOTE (Dunt @ May 29, 2015 -> 10:52 AM)
May I ask why? All reports seem to think he can stick behind the plate even with his larger frame. I wouldn't mind a college bat who could be making a difference at the major league level within 2 years, but there doesnt seem to be many of those. Swanson and Bregman will both be gone by then and 8 seems a little high for Happ and Benintendi.

First of all, I'm just catcher-averse in general. Great ones are so rare, and good ones hit about .260 with a .320 OBP and 12 HRs and are serviceable 7th place hitters with lots of days off required. Offensively, the reward ceiling is just too low for a top-10 pick, and it's nothing that is going to change the scope of a team. So that's the hope with a high schooler, who will take a long time to develop (and the Sox are notoriously not so good about being patient with promotions anyway). If all the desirable pitchers are off the board, I'd actually rather see Happ there.

Don't get me wrong, I think the team, any team, needs a good catcher, and I hope the Sox can develop one on the farm, I just don't think it's worth a top draft pick, especially for a high schooler. When I think of tall, projectable high school catchers, I just think of Kyle Skipworth. It's not fail to put all similar prospects in that bucket, but I'd rather take a calculated risk elsewhere.