Apartment/Condo/House Thread

pettie4sox

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 3, 2015 -> 04:09 PM)
It pays to be a complainer, especially at the lower levels. The more attention you get by complaining, the more likely you are to get taken care of.

Signed

A loud complainer.

This I would say goes for pretty much everything and everywhere most of the time. If you complain at a restaurant or movie theater or a doctors office you are going to get compensated somehow. Everyone there will hate you but you will get something out complaining for sure.

QUOTE (shipps @ Feb 3, 2015 -> 04:14 PM)
This I would say goes for pretty much everything and everywhere most of the time. If you complain at a restaurant or movie theater or a doctors office you are going to get compensated somehow. Everyone there will hate you but you will get something out complaining for sure.

As a person who is really involved locally and has a facebook page with 5000+ members in a town of 30,000 people, let's just say I saw the Mayor plowing my side street (I live on the corner of a busy street and a side street) the other day. I am not going to say it was because of my page, but at the same time, I am not going to say it wasn't why either.

QUOTE (shipps @ Feb 3, 2015 -> 04:14 PM)

The movie Waiting has forever scarred me when it comes to complaining at restaurants. They have to screw up in a major way (pre-meal) for me to say much of anything.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 3, 2015 -> 03:39 PM)
You must have found the one honest alderman in Chicago!

This is how these people get elected. like 5% of their district will vote. The likelihood is if someone takes the energy to complain, they'll take the energy to vote.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 3, 2015 -> 04:25 PM)
The movie Waiting has forever scarred me when it comes to complaining at restaurants. They have to screw up in a major way (pre-meal) for me to say much of anything.

Yeah I am the same way. I have to tell my wife to be quiet about the little things she will nitpick on (like they put american instead of cheddar cheese in my eggs) so they dont do something nasty to our food. She is awful for being particular when it comes to food so you could only imagine the quiet arguments we have at our restaurant table frequently.

QUOTE (shipps @ Feb 3, 2015 -> 04:30 PM)
Yeah I am the same way. I have to tell my wife to be quiet about the little things she will nitpick on (like they put american instead of cheddar cheese in my eggs) so they dont do something nasty to our food. She is awful for being particular when it comes to food so you could only imagine the quiet arguments we have at our restaurant table frequently.

That's my dad. Without fail there is something wrong with his meal and he's 65 with no filter so he complains in the most rude way possible (without realizing he's being rude). I cringe. I've told him before to wait until my food comes to complain.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 3, 2015 -> 04:25 PM)

I never get rude pre-meal. Even if there is a screw up, I really nicely ask them for a fix, if needed. I can think of like twice ever where I have had to elevate it past that.

QUOTE (shipps @ Feb 3, 2015 -> 04:30 PM)

If she also gives her order in a super complex and confusing way, that would be just like my sister in law.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 3, 2015 -> 04:35 PM)
That's my dad. Without fail there is something wrong with his meal and he's 65 with no filter so he complains in the most rude way possible (without realizing he's being rude). I cringe. I've told him before to wait until my food comes to complain.

My wife scrutinizes the utensils and water glass and pretty much ALWAYS finds something on them and asks for new ones. She does it nicely but I know what the waiter/waitress is thinking already (f*** Im screwed this b**** is gonna be a pain).

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 3, 2015 -> 05:35 PM)

My mom will give really vague criticisms like "I didn't really like it" or "it didn't taste right" that leave the waiter unsure whether the restaurant did something wrong

The condo that I rent flooded last Friday when a pipe burst in the condo above us. Luckily, I was working from home and my roommate was home for lunch at the time, so we both told our bosses we were done for the day and frantically tried keeping it from doing too much damage. I mean, water was pouring through our ceiling in the laundry room (which is off the kitchen). We built a barricade as best we could and I bailed water with a 5 gallon bucket for over an hour while my roommate had a big mop that he was using to push the water away from the hallway to our bedrooms. Pretty funny scene actually when looking back on it.

My place isn't livable at all. We can't use our kitchen, laundry room, or living room. Not a huge deal for me b/c I travel Monday-Thursday for work. But my roommate has to deal with it, and I will too on the weekends. Contractors came by and said all the wood floors would have to be ripped out, a large portion of the ceiling replaced, bottom cabinets replaced, and dry wall in spots. But my landlord is being fairly sketchy. He wouldn't return calls all weekend. Finally got back to us today and said he'd compensate for having to go out to eat, etc. Not sure I really trust him though. I assume it's best to get this in writing. But if we can't and he bails, can we stop from paying rent? Any alternatives? I mean, I'm not paying to live in a construction zone while not having a working laundry room or kitchen.

Btw, we were told it would be a month of work by the contractors. I can't see how that's possible but if it is that long, that's going to be a big pain.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Feb 3, 2015 -> 08:40 PM)
The condo that I rent flooded last Friday when a pipe burst in the condo above us. Luckily, I was working from home and my roommate was home for lunch at the time, so we both told our bosses we were done for the day and frantically tried keeping it from doing too much damage. I mean, water was pouring through our ceiling in the laundry room (which is off the kitchen). We built a barricade as best we could and I bailed water with a 5 gallon bucket for over an hour while my roommate had a big mop that he was using to push the water away from the hallway to our bedrooms. Pretty funny scene actually when looking back on it.

My place isn't livable at all. We can't use our kitchen, laundry room, or living room. Not a huge deal for me b/c I travel Monday-Thursday for work. But my roommate has to deal with it, and I will too on the weekends. Contractors came by and said all the wood floors would have to be ripped out, a large portion of the ceiling replaced, bottom cabinets replaced, and dry wall in spots. But my landlord is being fairly sketchy. He wouldn't return calls all weekend. Finally got back to us today and said he'd compensate for having to go out to eat, etc. Not sure I really trust him though. I assume it's best to get this in writing. But if we can't and he bails, can we stop from paying rent? Any alternatives? I mean, I'm not paying to live in a construction zone while not having a working laundry room or kitchen.

Btw, we were told it would be a month of work by the contractors. I can't see how that's possible but if it is that long, that's going to be a big pain.

Do you have renters insurance? I'd imagine that would help cover any extra expenses if the place is unlivable.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 3, 2015 -> 09:26 PM)
Do you have renters insurance? I'd imagine that would help cover any extra expenses if the place is unlivable.

I do have renter's insurance. But none of my personal belongings were actually ruined. It's more the physical place itself (floors, ceiling, cabinetry, etc) that needs to be fixed. Figured that should fall under my landlord's insurance, but there's no telling if he'll just pocket the money.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Feb 3, 2015 -> 10:31 PM)
I do have renter's insurance. But none of my personal belongings were actually ruined. It's more the physical place itself (floors, ceiling, cabinetry, etc) that needs to be fixed. Figured that should fall under my landlord's insurance, but there's no telling if he'll just pocket the money.

Check your lease terms. And if you're in Chicago check the renters' rights guide. He may be entitled to provide you guys with alternative living arrangements if the unit isn't habitable.

edit: and yes, get everything in writing. Communicate via e-mail. And if he ever says anything important over the phone, send a follow-up e-mail that starts with something like "Per our conversation today, you advised me that you would do x y and z."

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 4, 2015 -> 10:04 AM)
Check your lease terms. And if you're in Chicago check the renters' rights guide. He may be entitled to provide you guys with alternative living arrangements if the unit isn't habitable.

edit: and yes, get everything in writing. Communicate via e-mail. And if he ever says anything important over the phone, send a follow-up e-mail that starts with something like "Per our conversation today, you advised me that you would do x y and z."

This is a great rule of thumb for pretty much any important communications.