Flowers and his magic glasses

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 10:47 AM)
Right now these guys seem like locks for next year:

C: Flowers

LF: Tank/Semien/Danks/Taylor/Mitchell

DH: Tank/Wilkins/Taylor

I agree that LF & DH are higher priorities, but improving at catcher should also be on the to-do list. Flowers may be passable by league standards, but hoping for average production out of a position should never be a goal. I'm pretty sure Hahn will be looking for an upgrade this offseason, whether he can find one at semi-reasonable price will be the true challenge.

I think improving in LF and/or DH is a lot more important than upgrading the catching position.

You wouldn't take Flowers hitting 240 with 10+ HRs and 50+ RBIs in the 8-9 hole in the line up. Not to mention he works well with the pitching staff. I say use our resources elsewhere.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LDF @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 09:25 AM)
good point but as LittleHurt05 said, i can deal with Flowers. i rather save what

ever salary the sox will use to get a better player at another position.

Which position? LF is the next biggest hole unless you want to bail on all of our MI prospects.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 10:05 AM)
Dan Hayes ‏@CSNHayes 1h

Tyler Flowers has 2 bWAR and 1.4 fWAR despite a less than league average showing on offense. Enough to convince you? http://bit.ly/1qoqppi

Enough to convince me he can be a slightly below average big leaguer if his defense remains strong, yes Dan Hayes. Doesn't mean we shouldn't try to upgrade there.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 11:05 AM)
Dan Hayes ‏@CSNHayes 1h

Tyler Flowers has 2 bWAR and 1.4 fWAR despite a less than league average showing on offense. Enough to convince you? http://bit.ly/1qoqppi

Honestly, it's because he's a catcher. He gets +12.5 runs from being a catcher alone over 600 PA.

Unless you've got a .270 wOBA, you're going to get about 1 fWAR if you're a catcher getting 450 PAs.

Tyler's at a .303 wOBA this year, which I'm surprisingly fine with.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 10:47 AM)
Right now these guys seem like locks for next year:

1B: Abreu

2B: Johnson/Semien/Sanchez

SS: Ramirez

3B: Gillaspie

CF: Eaton

RF: Garcia

That's six spots in our lineup already filled. As of today, here's how we'd fill the other spots internally:

C: Flowers

LF: Tank/Semien/Danks/Taylor/Mitchell

DH: Tank/Wilkins/Taylor

I agree that LF & DH are higher priorities, but improving at catcher should also be on the to-do list. Flowers may be passable by league standards, but hoping for average production out of a position should never be a goal. I'm pretty sure Hahn will be looking for an upgrade this offseason, whether he can find one at semi-reasonable price will be the true challenge.

The highest priority should be the bullpen.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 11:16 AM)
The highest priority should be the bullpen.

A big time starter and the pen

A big bat for the OF or DH

Flowers replacement would cost more in players or cash than it is worth. See McCann, Brian or Montero, Jesus. Seattle lucked out with the injury to Pineda but if he comes back to what he was, that was bad trade for Seattl.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 11:31 AM)
Flowers replacement would cost more in players or cash than it is worth. See McCann, Brian or Montero, Jesus. Seattle lucked out with the injury to Pineda but if he comes back to what he was, that was bad trade for Seattl.

Nah, just try to win the bidding for Russell Martin. Anything south of 4/60.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 12:45 PM)
Nah, just try to win the bidding for Russell Martin. Anything south of 4/60.

I wouldn't give Martin more than $40 million and I think the market will probably agree.

I think something around 3 years for $36 million is the most he'll get. I also feel like that's worth it considering he's been a 4-5 WAR player the past two years despite a mediocre 2013 with the bat.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 11:59 AM)
I wouldn't give Martin more than $40 million and I think the market will probably agree.

I think something around 3 years for $36 million is the most he'll get. I also feel like that's worth it considering he's been a 4-5 WAR player the past two years despite a mediocre 2013 with the bat.

Also, the skillset is one that should age well. Elite defender with improving plate discipline? I'll take it. Even if his bat declines to Flowers levels, he'll be a plus gamecaller until he retires.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 02:25 PM)
Also, the skillset is one that should age well. Elite defender with improving plate discipline? I'll take it. Even if his bat declines to Flowers levels, he'll be a plus gamecaller until he retires.

Him in the 2 spot would be pretty awesome. You can then have two guys who get on at around 36-37% of the time in front of Abreu.

Edited by chw42