Rios on waivers

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 05:22 PM)
He had a ton more value last July than this one. We just weren't willing to send any money along. Not a bunch of surplus value on his contract

Which is why I think the people who thought we would send money with Dunn or Danks in deals this year are crazy.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 05:51 PM)
I'll take Leury.

I thought the Rangers would get something decent for him; but that they couldn't do anything, despite the lack of available RH hitters, just shows that Rios' general uselessness cannot hide.

I wouldn't say uselessness. To continue on with the "picking up chicks at the bar" analogies, Rios is a decent looking girl who has a lot of baggage that you just don't want to deal with. He's not a bad player, but he's just not someone you actively seek out.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 6, 2014 -> 08:23 AM)
I wouldn't say uselessness. To continue on with the "picking up chicks at the bar" analogies, Rios is a decent looking girl who has a lot of baggage that you just don't want to deal with. He's not a bad player, but he's just not someone you actively seek out.

Rios is two kids and a coke habit.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 6, 2014 -> 09:23 AM)
If it meant his option was getting picked up, yeah, I would think he would.

Yeah, maybe.

Still, the guy is at 98 wRC+ this year thanks to his power disappearing. While that's way better than Viciedo, it's still not good, and so I'm not sure it's the best use of those funds.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 6, 2014 -> 08:31 AM)
Yeah, maybe.

Still, the guy is at 98 wRC+ this year thanks to his power disappearing. While that's way better than Viciedo, it's still not good, and so I'm not sure it's the best use of those funds.

Yeah, that is a bit bizarre.

Given the relative lack of availability of other options next year though, I could think of worse risks to take.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 6, 2014 -> 10:56 AM)
Yeah, that is a bit bizarre.

Given the relative lack of availability of other options next year though, I could think of worse risks to take.

I could too, but I think Viciedo is a better risk to take than Rios.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 6, 2014 -> 09:04 AM)
I could too, but I think Viciedo is a better risk to take than Rios.

Ahh, I'm just tired of Viciedo. Of course, I've been tired of Viciedo for three years now.

I suppose it depends on whether they plan on upgrading the pitching staff with a veteran starter, or if they are going to take another year to try and develop one. If the latter is the case, there is no point in displacing Viciedo. If they believe they can compete for the division/WC and want to move up the timetable a bit, then I think you've got to upgrade that position.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 6, 2014 -> 11:07 AM)
Ahh, I'm just tired of Viciedo. Of course, I've been tired of Viciedo for three years now.

I suppose it depends on whether they plan on upgrading the pitching staff with a veteran starter, or if they are going to take another year to try and develop one. If the latter is the case, there is no point in displacing Viciedo. If they believe they can compete for the division/WC and want to move up the timetable a bit, then I think you've got to upgrade that position.

No, I agree on Viciedo, but Rios hasn't been a beacon of consistency throughout his career either. I'd rather they look to acquire someone they know is good with an eye towards competing next year, but yeah, if they don't, I'd prefer Viciedo.

Rios is nowhere near my radar though.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 6, 2014 -> 09:18 AM)
No, I agree on Viciedo, but Rios hasn't been a beacon of consistency throughout his career either. I'd rather they look to acquire someone they know is good with an eye towards competing next year, but yeah, if they don't, I'd prefer Viciedo.

Rios is nowhere near my radar though.

Any ideas?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 6, 2014 -> 11:19 AM)
Any ideas?

The name that jumps out at me in the free agent market is Nick Markakis. He's got a $17.5 mutual option with a $2 mill buy out. I can't see any way he doesn't pick it up nor any way that Baltimore does pick it up.

It seems to me that this regime has always really liked him and, while he's a little bit older, he'll only be 31 next year. You can likely sign him to a 3-4 year deal and be fairly certain he'll maintain his production. He's not a great defensive player, but there are plenty of guys who are worse out there. Either he or Garcia would have to move to LF, but that shouldn't be a major concern.

The Oliver projections are not kind to him, but I don't think I'd pay much attention to that. He had a bad year last year and they were done prior to the season. I think you can reasonably expect him to be a solid bat in the middle to lower portion of the lineup, just a guy who can help keep the train moving.

3 year, $38 million with a team option for the 4th at $14 million with a $2 million buy out (structure it like $10/$12/$14/$2 or $14) with the standard incentives. Perhaps to persuade him you could make the team option vest after a certain number of plate appearances, but that's not a necessity.