Tony Stewart purposefully ran someone over?

QUOTE (zenryan @ Aug 11, 2014 -> 04:58 PM)
What's really strange is how you ignore that the guy in the car before Stewart has said he saw him at the last second and that Stewart would've had even less time to see him.

If he would have hit him head on, I would agree and say he didn't see him. But that is not what happened. The guy shouldn't have been on the track, I agree with that, but it is so naive to think a professional driver, one of the best alive would hit him how he hit him without any intent of trying to scare him or something of that sort. I don't think anyone thinks he hit him on purpose, but hit him he did, and I don't buy the reason he hit him was because he didn't see him.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if he ended up getting sued or having to pay any money to the 19 year old girl who suffered a lower back/vertebrae fracture last year, because Stewart openly admitted that accident/crash was his fault or responsibility?

Clearly, he's not going to do the same thing here, or it would be tantamount to awarding $20-30 million in a civil suit to the Kevin Ward family.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Aug 10, 2014 -> 11:55 PM)
And if Tony Stewart didn't have a temper and was pissed off, no one is dead either.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Aug 11, 2014 -> 01:01 AM)
Yeah, Ward put Stewart in that situation...... nice victim-blaming.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Aug 11, 2014 -> 01:02 AM)
Ah, so he just blindly slammed on the gas then. Even smarter.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Aug 11, 2014 -> 04:59 PM)
I never said he tried to purposefully run over a person. Stop having arguments that no one is having.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Aug 11, 2014 -> 05:05 PM)
Nope. Never once said he killed the kid on purpose. Enough with the constant lies.

Lol It's pretty clear from the position you're taking in this thread that yes indeed you do believe he did it on purpose.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 11, 2014 -> 06:06 PM)
If he would have hit him head on, I would agree and say he didn't see him. But that is not what happened. The guy shouldn't have been on the track, I agree with that, but it is so naive to think a professional driver, one of the best alive would hit him how he hit him without any intent of trying to scare him or something of that sort. I don't think anyone thinks he hit him on purpose, but hit him he did, and I don't buy the reason he hit him was because he didn't see him.

so youre just going to ignore what others who have driven those types of cars have said when it comes to it being hard to see out of the right side of the car because of the design of these cars? just going to ignore another driver in that race who said he saw him at the last second and just missed hitting him?

the greatest drivers in the world arent going to see through a blind spot.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Aug 11, 2014 -> 05:07 PM)
Lol It's pretty clear from the position you're taking in this thread that yes indeed you do believe he did it on purpose.

Nope. But I'll go ahead and tell you exactly what I think happened so you can stop being so wrong every time.

I think he tried to either scare the s*** out of the kid, or he tried to fling dirt and rocks up on him. I DO NOT believe he tried to hit the kid. I certainly DO NOT believe he tried to kill the kid. I think it was bad luck that he happened to hit the kid and he probably feels horrible about it. The kid was very dumb from walking towards the moving cars, and Stewart was extremely reckless as well. Both were at fault, both deserve some blame in what happened. Never happens without both of their actions.

There. Now feel free to reply without pretending like you think you know my viewpoint on what happened.

Edited by Chilihead90

This story is becoming more and more bizarre as both sides dig in (not here, but in terms of the national media).

Clearly, there's a vested financial interest on the part of many in making this go away without any further damage to Tony Stewart/Haas Racing or NASCAR.

I don't think it will ever be so simple...because of the fact that Ward was seemingly coming after Stewart, and Stewart was the one who hit him. Seems TOO coincidental, just that part of the story itself.

Not because in the video the witnesses are saying "Tony Stewart hit him..." but common sense or logic says that he probably did have some "road rage" built up to at least teach the kid a lesson or scare him a bit...and probably thought he was in his NASCAR and forgot the back end of those sprint cars stick out another 6-8 feet compared to the front.

Surely, a jury would find it easy to believe he at least contributed 25-35% if not 50% to the accident transpiring. How that plays out in terms of tort law, no idea.

I do know if the Ward family makes a public case of going after Stewart because THEY believed it was intentional...this story won't go away for a long time, and probably it will always be attached to Stewart's legacy because of the unusual nature of something like this happening in front of everyone in the world/twitterverse/youtube.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Aug 11, 2014 -> 05:10 PM)
so youre just going to ignore what others who have driven those types of cars have said when it comes to it being hard to see out of the right side of the car because of the design of these cars? just going to ignore another driver in that race who said he saw him at the last second and just missed hitting him?

If they can't see out of the cars they shouldn't be racing them. Stewart would have missed him too if he hadn't tried to be the more macho guy.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Aug 11, 2014 -> 04:10 PM)

If the Ward family doesn't go after Stewart, I would be more inclined to side with this POV.

Surely, there's going to be a tremendous amount of pressure on them not to BLAME Stewart for their son's death. Of course, that means they have to blame their own son for his actions, and that's going to be incredibly difficult.

Remember, the father is also a driver/racer....Kevin Ward, Sr. I think he might even have been in the same race.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 11, 2014 -> 05:17 PM)
If the Ward family doesn't go after Stewart, I would be more inclined to side with this POV.

Surely, there's going to be a tremendous amount of pressure on them not to BLAME Stewart for their son's death. Of course, that means they have to blame their own son for his actions, and that's going to be incredibly difficult.

Remember, the father is also a driver/racer....Kevin Ward, Sr. I think he might even have been in the same race.

I think I heard that his parents were both in attendance.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Aug 11, 2014 -> 05:13 PM)
Nope. But I'll go ahead and tell you exactly what I think happened so you can stop being so wrong every time.

I think he tried to either scare the s*** out of the kid, or he tried to fling dirt and rocks up on him. I DO NOT believe he tried to hit the kid. I certainly DO NOT believe he tried to kill the kid. I think it was bad luck that he happened to hit the kid and he probably feels horrible about it. The kid was very dumb from walking towards the moving cars, and Stewart was extremely reckless as well. Both were at fault, both deserve some blame in what happened. Never happens without both of their actions.

There. Now feel free to reply without pretending like you think you know my viewpoint on what happened.

:lol: I'm done. You've clearly vilified Tony to the point nothing will change your mind on the topic. And suddenly you get called out from a few people and backtrack on your thoughts. Now you claim both are at fault when yesterday according to you it was "victim blaming" to fault Ward at all.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Aug 11, 2014 -> 03:13 PM)

That's all fine and good, and I tend to have a similar thought process, but I certainly don't pretend to know what he could have done or what he should have done without having ever been in a race car before.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Aug 11, 2014 -> 05:19 PM)
:lol: I'm done. You've clearly vilified Tony to the point nothing will change your mind on the topic. And suddenly you get called out from a few people and backtrack on your thoughts. Now you claim both are at fault when yesterday according to you it was "victim blaming" to fault Ward at all.

Lol, clearly you've already got your mind made up of what you wanted me to think. So go ahead and continue to make up lies and make inaccurate assumptions. That sounds better than actually realizing your insults to me are insults to people like Caufield too, who seems to share the same views as me on this. Makes it more exciting for you if I am out alone by myself on this one.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 11, 2014 -> 06:16 PM)
If they can't see out of the cars they shouldn't be racing them. Stewart would have missed him too if he hadn't tried to be the more macho guy.

lol, what's more macho than a person confronting a guy in a moving car?

QUOTE (zenryan @ Aug 11, 2014 -> 05:22 PM)
    lol, what's more macho than a person confronting a guy in a moving car?

He couldn't leave it alone. So he tries to kick a little dirt his way, and the guy is dead. If anyone could understand a guy on the track pissed off at a competitor, you would think it would be Tony Stewart.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 11, 2014 -> 06:28 PM)

He couldn't leave it alone. So he tries to kick a little dirt his way, and the guy is dead. If anyone could understand a guy on the track pissed off at a competitor, you would think it would be Tony Stewart.

I've read a lot of people's take on this situation who have experience riding on dirt tracks, especially east coast tracks, and they have all been consistent in saying that the dirt is so packed down that its impossible to spray up dirt. I'm sure Stewart knew this too.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Aug 11, 2014 -> 05:22 PM)
      Lol, clearly you've already got your mind made up of what you wanted me to think. So go ahead and continue to make up lies and make inaccurate assumptions. That sounds better than actually realizing your insults to me are insults to people like Caufield too, who seems to share the same views as me on this. Makes it more exciting for you if I am out alone by myself on this one.

Your words made up my mind of what you think. I also haven't insulted you.

Caulfield also didn't respond to my post about Stewart and Johnson. Your opinion of this man has been entirely formed in the last 24 hours from people who want you to read or watch their stuff. Tony has anger issues, every racer has anger issues it's part of the sport and what makes it appealing, but like my Daytona post there's a lot of good to Tony Stewart as well.

Edited by kev211

caution flag, slow down to 60 mph, coming around a turn with a car in your face, car turns suddenly, human on track, hey I just crashed him and he's angry, I know, accelerate quickly and kick dirt in his face and try to get wheel to turn near him and aand and

yeah that's like .8 seconds we are talking about.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 11, 2014 -> 07:11 PM)
      caution flag, slow down to 60 mph, coming around a turn with a car in your face, car turns suddenly, human on track, hey I just crashed him and he's angry, I know, accelerate quickly and kick dirt in his face and try to get wheel to turn near him and aand and

exactly.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 11, 2014 -> 06:11 PM)

.8 seconds? He could see him and the cars moving out of the way from the other side of the track. Stewart knew exactly what he was doing when he tried to buzz him. The problem is the either the guy walked down furteher or Stewart misjudged the distance and accidentally hit him instead. He had plenty of time to totally avoid the situation.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 11, 2014 -> 06:29 PM)
      .8 seconds? He could see him and the cars moving out of the way from the other side of the track. Stewart knew exactly what he was doing when he tried to buzz him. The problem is the either the guy walked down furteher or Stewart misjudged the distance and accidentally hit him instead. He had plenty of time to totally avoid the situation.

.....uh oh.....

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 11, 2014 -> 07:29 PM)

plenty of time according to who? You? Just keep ignoring what another person who actually was driving in the race has said.

This is really one of the bigger nonsense posts in this thread.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Aug 11, 2014 -> 07:31 PM)
      plenty of time according to who? You? Just keep ignoring what another person who actually was driving in the race has said.

This is really one of the bigger nonsense posts in this thread.

Really. The track is 1/2 mile long. Stewart knows he put the guy in the wall. He knows where the car is in turn 2. After Stewart comes out of turn 4 he has roughly 1/4 of a mile to see what is happening. You can believe the CYA stuff or look at what happened.

I don't know if you've ever been in one of the cars or at the races but you can chose which version of events to believe. Either Stewart is an awful driver unaware of what is going on around him, which is the "he didn't see what was going on" defense or he knew exactly what he was doing and it was a horrible accident when he hit the guy.

Pick your version because both are out there depending on who you listen to.