Ferguson Riots

Brian

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 4, 2014 -> 10:26 AM)
And what makes you think those people want to join the police force after what they saw as a huge injustice by them?

If you can't beat 'em, join them?

Yeah, I guess burning down a bakery makes more sense.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Dec 4, 2014 -> 10:27 AM)
Yeah, I guess burning down a bakery makes more sense.

I'm sure all those protesters set stores ablaze. Because they have nothing better to do. Because they're lazy and don't have jobs... :huh:

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 4, 2014 -> 10:32 AM)
Is police chief usually an elected position? County sheriff is in Illinois, but not local PD chief.

Usually they're appointed, which is why I asked about the mayor. My point being, the people of Ferguson control what happens in Ferguson. Maybe not at the county level, but at the local level. If they think there's some grand injustice going on, take over local politics and the county isn't going to overstep them.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 4, 2014 -> 10:34 AM)
I'm sure all those protesters set stores ablaze. Because they have nothing better to do. Because they're lazy and don't have jobs... :huh:

I don't think anyone is ignoring that by and large the protests across the country were peaceful. But there were still morons committing crimes. And there are morons who support the morons committing crimes.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 4, 2014 -> 10:34 AM)

There you go making s*** up again. Point out where I said that. I said they were idiots. Lazy and unemployed was never mentioned. Opportunistic would apply, since I would wager that most of the looters and stuff looked at the opportunity as an easy way to get free stuff. Then you also have the outside agitators, who at times seemed to be the majority. Different motives for some of them altogether. Professional anarchists, anti government types of all kinds, a few commies and some white-guilt liberals sprinkled in.

And what does any of that then have to do with anything? Why are you b****ing about some f***ing looting 2 weeks ago after a man was choked to death and gets no justice. Nobody cares about your fetish for fully operational 7-11s.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Dec 4, 2014 -> 10:41 AM)
There you go making s*** up again. Point out where I said that. I said they were idiots. Lazy and unemployed was never mentioned. Opportunistic would apply, since I would wager that most of the looters and stuff looked at the opportunity as an easy way to get free stuff. Then you also have the outside agitators, who at times seemed to be the majority. Different motives for some of them altogether. Professional anarchists, anti government types of all kinds, a few commies and some white-guilt liberals sprinkled in.

I said that people in Ferguson might not want to join the police department because they view them as the enemy after the events of the Michael Brown shooting. You more or less said they would rather go burn buildings down. Tell me how I'm supposed to interpret that.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 4, 2014 -> 10:50 AM)
I said that people in Ferguson might not want to join the police department because they view them as the enemy after the events of the Michael Brown shooting. You more or less said they would rather go burn buildings down. Tell me how I'm supposed to interpret that.

Distrust of the police goes back a lot farther than that. That was just the spark.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 4, 2014 -> 10:45 AM)
And what does any of that then have to do with anything? Why are you b****ing about some f***ing looting 2 weeks ago after a man was choked to death and gets no justice. Nobody cares about your fetish for fully operational 7-11s.

Because that's just a distraction from talking about the real issues.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 4, 2014 -> 10:50 AM)

if they are viewed as the enemy, how do you change that? From within. Instead, some chose to burn a bakery.

Probably an unpopular opinion: I kinda agree with the decision not to indict Pantaleo for murder. I mean, the choke hold was for a matter of seconds, and after the choke hold is over he's still alive, still breathing (even if he's saying it's difficult to do so). If you're going to charge Pantaleo, don't you have to charge all of the officers for letting the guy lay there in a position where he's unable to breathe?

I think that's a clear civil liability case. No doubt about it, the NYPD should pay. But criminal charges? Decades or life in jail for that? I don't think I can go there.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 4, 2014 -> 11:48 AM)
Ah yes, the people of new york should pay for that, not the officer who performed his job so poorly that someone died.

You honestly think he should go to jail for the rest of his life for putting a guy into a chokehold for 5 seconds?

And really, I think to be logical about it, you'd also have to want to put any officer there on the scene in jail as well, since their decisions to handcuff him and keep him on the ground is the biggest contributing factor to his death.

QUOTE (Tex @ Dec 3, 2014 -> 01:14 PM)
hey look, another unarmed black person was killed by a white officer and no charges will be filed. What were the odds of that happening in the same millennium.

http://www.cnn.com/

"I can't breath!" choke hold case. But this person was suspected of selling cigarettes illegally.

So, what is the proper response? Quietly protesting? That will get stuff done.

I think what is unfortunate is this gives more ammunition to those protesting over Ferguson when the two cases are completely different, imo. In terms of Ferguson, I don't necessarily think the wrong decision was reached (or at least I think most everyone can agree it wasn't cut and dry at a minimum), however, in terms of the NY case with the video, etc, I'm pretty much speechless at how no charges will be brought. Not threatened and total excessive use of force.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 4, 2014 -> 06:52 PM)
You honestly think he should go to jail for the rest of his life for putting a guy into a chokehold for 5 seconds?

And really, I think to be logical about it, you'd also have to want to put any officer there on the scene in jail as well, since their decisions to handcuff him and keep him on the ground is the biggest contributing factor to his death.

If I put someone into a chokehold and they died, I would certainly have a manslaughter or negligent homicide case against me.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 4, 2014 -> 11:55 AM)
I think what is unfortunate is this gives more ammunition to those protesting over Ferguson when the two cases are completely different, imo. In terms of Ferguson, I don't necessarily think the wrong decision was reached, however, in terms of the NY case with the video, etc, I'm pretty much speechless at how no charges will be brought.

The problem is you can't link the guys death directly to that one officer. The med examiner listed the chokehold as one of a number of factors.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 4, 2014 -> 12:44 PM)
Probably an unpopular opinion: I kinda agree with the decision not to indict Pantaleo for murder. I mean, the choke hold was for a matter of seconds, and after the choke hold is over he's still alive, still breathing (even if he's saying it's difficult to do so). If you're going to charge Pantaleo, don't you have to charge all of the officers for letting the guy lay there in a position where he's unable to breathe?

I think that's a clear civil liability case. No doubt about it, the NYPD should pay. But criminal charges? Decades or life in jail for that? I don't think I can go there.

It's... it's an ILLEGAL choke hold man.

Sorry, there's just literally ZERO wiggle room on this one.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 4, 2014 -> 06:44 PM)

Sorry, I re-read this, if they don't want to charge with 1st or 2nd degree homicide, fine, but a manslaughter case should have been pursued.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 4, 2014 -> 01:02 PM)
The problem is you can't link the guys death directly to that one officer. The med examiner listed the chokehold as one of a number of factors.

So if you shoot someone in a typically non-lethal spot, but they're anemic and they bleed out, that's not on you?

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 4, 2014 -> 12:02 PM)
If I put someone into a chokehold and they died, I would certainly have a manslaughter or negligent homicide case against me.

Totally depends on the circumstances, but maybe.

Again though, the choke hold wasn't the only act that caused the death. I'm not sure what the testimony was/would be about how much of a factor it was.

"After the incident, city medical examiners concluded that Garner was killed by neck compression from the chokehold, along with “the compression of his chest and prone positioning during physical restraint by police”. Contributing factors included bronchial asthma, heart disease, obesity, and hypertensive cardiovascular disease."

Based on that, any cop that handcuffed him and forced him to lie on the ground should also be charged with his death.