Can Nieto Possibly Be This Dumb?

Al Lopez's Ghost

Today's Tribune quotes Nieto as saying the reason he didn't catch the throw from Avi yesterday was he heard Carroll (behind him and to the left in foul territory) yell "let it go." Caroll was of course yelling at Abreu so that he wouldn't cut it off. Nieto goes on to say that he thought Carroll was going to catch it and tag the runner.

Even an A ball player should have sized that up better.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 24, 2014 -> 11:46 AM)
You are talking about a kid learning on the job at the major league level. He and Sanchez both would typically be making these types of mistakes in the minors. But in a rebuilding situation, they are going to be making them here. Welcome to rebuilding.

Ok, but. He has had to have faced this play many times before, no matter the level. He's the last line of defense. It's crazy to play it like he's the second cutoff guy. Catch ball, tag runner.

Having said that, I like him and I think he's done pretty well. Just not in this instance.

QUOTE (Al Lopez's Ghost @ Aug 24, 2014 -> 12:23 PM)
Ok, but. He has had to have faced this play many times before, no matter the level. He's the last line of defense. It's crazy to play it like he's the second cutoff guy. Catch ball, tag runner.

Having said that, I like him and I think he's done pretty well. Just not in this instance.

He's barely played this year, and has been in this exact situation very few times at the major league level. It is also the type of mistake that isn't usually made at the majors. By all accounts he should be screwing this stuff up in Birmingham. Again, when you have a team with guys that would normally be playing at a lower level, these are the types of mistakes you will see.

We saw the same type of things from Sanchez twice yesterday with the play at second, and running in front of Carroll to cover at 1B.

Heck I am madder at De Aza for screwing up another play in LF, than I am for Nieto screwing up the play at home plate.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 24, 2014 -> 10:46 AM)
You are talking about a kid learning on the job at the major league level. He and Sanchez both would typically be making these types of mistakes in the minors. But in a rebuilding situation, they are going to be making them here. Welcome to rebuilding.

Both Sanchez and Nieto are in their sixth year of pro ball.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Aug 24, 2014 -> 08:02 PM)
Both Sanchez and Nieto are in their sixth year of pro ball.

That is nice math counting the DR as "pro ball". Both are extremely young, and coming from backgrounds where the fundamentals of the game aren't really taught. They aren't playing organized ball in the same way that pros in the US are.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 24, 2014 -> 09:07 PM)
That is nice math counting the DR as "pro ball". Both are extremely young, and coming from backgrounds where the fundamentals of the game aren't really taught. They aren't playing organized ball in the same way that pros in the US are.

The good news is that they're with an organization with a strong record, particularly at the major league level, of immersion in fundamentals, so we can have confidence in them developing these fundamental skills with (spits out water while laughing couldn't finish it).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 24, 2014 -> 08:19 PM)
The good news is that they're with an organization with a strong record, particularly at the major league level, of immersion in fundamentals, so we can have confidence in them developing these fundamental skills with (spits out water while laughing couldn't finish it).

Wow you had me going there for a minute. I'm thinkin" WHHAAAAAAAAAAAAT?

There's too much dumb baseball coming out of this organization. (hint at Stone saying get better base runners} The better players on this team spent the less time in the minors.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 24, 2014 -> 04:20 PM)
When I was trying out for the basketball team in 8th grade the coach said practice is 5 to 7 meaning 5 to 7PM . Not having had much experience with organized sports to that point I thought he meant 5 minutes to 7 or 6:55 . My point ? Lack of experience :P

Hope the coach forgave you and gave you another tryout date. I'd hate to get cut for an honest mistake.