Arizona Fall League Rosters discussion

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 11, 2014 -> 12:00 AM)
Sucks. Ravelo must be hurt. I really was excited to see him get more at bats in. Great opportunity for Basto.

it seems as Basto seems to have some interesting stats. I would like to see how he does

this fall.

QUOTE (LDF @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 08:32 PM)
it seems as Basto seems to have some interesting stats. I would like to see how he does

this fall.

He's a mystery to me. Scout I talked to - and even another player, surprisingly - commented on his defense. Not in a good way either. He really struggled.

But the bat, after being really bad too, suddenly took a leap this year.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 09:33 PM)
He's a mystery to me. Scout I talked to - and even another player, surprisingly - commented on his defense. Not in a good way either. He really struggled.

And he was only 20 this year in High A.

He took a huge leap forward this year by all accounts. And mind you he was someone he was someone batting in the lower 3rd of the lineup last year while repeating rookie ball. So he must have made some pretty significant improvements to his game for the organization to invest the spot in him.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 11, 2014 -> 03:33 AM)

thanks for the update. I really needed that, I thought that I missed something. still

the offense stat is really confusing considering his past stats. ummm

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 11, 2014 -> 12:55 PM)
Scott Merkin reporting that Ravelo will be playing winter ball instead of AFL. Still no word WHY yet, but there it is.

Could be something simple, like a winter team reached out to Ravelo and he asked the Sox to play winter ball instead of the AFL instead of doing both (which would be a lot of baseball for anybody after you've just finished up a long season) and the Sox obliged.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Sep 11, 2014 -> 06:38 PM)
Has there been any clarification as to whether or not Bassitt can/will pitch? I remember people saying he couldn't because of being called out but I'm not sure that was confirmed nor has there been a replacement named.

Being a call-up shouldn't effect his AFL status. I'm sure they still want him to get in some innings down there.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 30, 2014 -> 09:09 PM)
Montas and Anderson mentioned as players to watch in the AFL

http://m.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article/970...to-watch-in-afl

Buddy Bell quote on Montas from the above:

"His fastball, slider and changeup can all be plus pitches," Chicago assistant general manager Buddy Bell said. "We've seen him up to 102 mph. He could compete for a big league starting job next year. If his command is real, he has No. 1 starter stuff."

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Sep 30, 2014 -> 08:45 PM)
Buddy Bell quote on Montas from the above:

while that is very good news for the sox, I am wondering if that will stop the brass

for investing in the free agents pool or trades.

I really would hate to see the sox have a recurrence of what happen this yr like erik

Johnson and Davidson.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 30, 2014 -> 11:25 PM)
Oh Buddy. I like Montas a lot too, but some of the stuff Bell says about certain prospects is outlandishly positive.

yeah I agree. I am for the sox to have great prospects knocking on the door so to speak.

I would be even happier for an occasional player to show promise as a certified major leaguer.

to realistically imply that in all the minor teams the sox have, there are a possible of

what, 8 players ready to take the next step.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 1, 2014 -> 02:41 PM)
What are they?

http://deadspin.com/baseball-will-test-out...e-ga-1641283166

1. Hitters must keep at least one foot inside the batter's box at all times, barring exceptions like foul balls, wild pitches, or if the umpire grants him time out.

2. Pitchers must throw a pitch within 20 seconds of receiving the ball. Clocks posted in each dugout will count down the 20 seconds.

3. There will be a maximum break between innings of 2:05, with a clock keeping track. Hitters must be in the batter's box by 1:45. If the hitter's not ready, the umpire can call a strike. If the pitcher doesn't throw a pitch by 2:05, the umpire can call a ball.

4. Teams will have a maximum of 2:30 to change pitchers, with the clock starting as soon as the reliever enters the playing field.

5. Teams are limited to a maximum of three mound visits per game, not including pitching changes. This applies to trips to the mound by managers, coaches, and catchers.

6. Pitchers no longer have to deliver four balls for an intentional walk. The manager can simply signal to the umpire.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 1, 2014 -> 04:14 PM)
All of those are fantastic.

I have a sentimental attachment to the intentional walk simply because you have to make the guy throw intentional balls. Craziness usually does not ensue, but can on occasion and that's the fun part of the game. Otherwise, I love everything else.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 1, 2014 -> 02:37 PM)
I have a sentimental attachment to the intentional walk simply because you have to make the guy throw intentional balls. Craziness usually does not ensue, but can on occasion and that's the fun part of the game. Otherwise, I love everything else.

I figured if there was anything, that would be one purists (and I consider myself a purist) would react to, but to be frank, in this day and age, I don't want my teams pitcher throwing any extra pitches, even low stress ones like that. I say give the walk and move on, the time spent to throw the 4 pitches, etc, for the extremely minimal chances of something crazy, just isn't worth the time, given what I feel is a significant issue MLB has to fix.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 1, 2014 -> 04:37 PM)

The intention walk is up there with the extra point in football. They are 99.99 percent automatic. Is that 0.01% worth it? Who knows.

The things I don't like on that list are the ones dealing with the pitcher talking to the catcher and vice versa. I think you can achieve most of what needs to be achieved by keeping batters in the box, and pitchers getting the ball and throwing it.