8/27 Games

flavum

I wish people would leave the move-Micah-to-the-OF thing alone. The ONLY reason it is brought up is because of his speed. He's never played there, and has a hard enough time with the glove at 2B, and you want him to change positions? His arm isn't great either. Plus with his elbow issues, as we've discussed before, they are likely caused by poor throwing mechanics. So he's a greater injury risk in the OF than at 2B. Just doesn't make sense to do it.

Semien, on the other hand, COULD be a corner OF. He's got a good arm, enough speed, he's played there a bit this year, and they want to get his bat in the lineup.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 28, 2014 -> 10:11 AM)
I wish people would leave the move-Micah-to-the-OF thing alone. The ONLY reason it is brought up is because of his speed. He's never played there, and has a hard enough time with the glove at 2B, and you want him to change positions? His arm isn't great either. Plus with his elbow issues, as we've discussed before, they are likely caused by poor throwing mechanics. So he's a greater injury risk in the OF than at 2B. Just doesn't make sense to do it.

Semien, on the other hand, COULD be a corner OF. He's got a good arm, enough speed, he's played there a bit this year, and they want to get his bat in the lineup.

I really think he will end up in LF next year unless they want to switch Conor to DH.

Not to mention if he having hamstring issues, the OF isn't going to help that either.

Micah was speculated to go to the outfield due to the log jam in the MI, his under average defense at second and yes his speed could help him become a solid outfielder if he can get good reads and jumps which he's plenty young enough to learn.

Take a look at Viciedo and DeAza, they are a joke out there. I see no reason why Micah could not be better than both with a little time and patience for him to learn LF.

His weak arm could hurt the Sox more at 2B than LF as its going to be used more often at 2B and be a weakness on DP's as well.

Moving Micah to the outfield makes too much sense.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Aug 28, 2014 -> 11:09 AM)
Micah was speculated to go to the outfield due to the log jam in the MI, his under average defense at second and yes his speed could help him become a solid outfielder if he can get good reads and jumps which he's plenty young enough to learn.

Take a look at Viciedo and DeAza, they are a joke out there. I see no reason why Micah could not be better than both with a little time and patience for him to learn LF.

His weak arm could hurt the Sox more at 2B than LF as its going to be used more often at 2B and be a weakness on DP's as well.

His weak arm is going to hurt the Sox a lot less at 2B than in LF because he actually has to make long throws from the left field corner.

Frankly, this post makes a lot more sense when you're talking about Semien. They will get his bat into the lineup wherever they can and he's shown the ability to handle it. When you have players who seem pretty confined to their positions - Johnson at 2B, Sanchez between 2B and SS, Gillaspie at 3B - you find the one who can move and you do just that. If Semien comes up and plays full time, I don't think anyone's going to care where he plays.

If he plays a full season's worth of games next year, but 90 come in LF, 5 in CF, 8 in RF, 27 at 3B, 6 at SS, and 11 at 2B, is anyone going to be upset? But, if Semien is the one who proves he can handle the outfield over the others, then he's the one who's going to do that role.

I don't understand why it has to be either or, I personally would love to see all three of Semien, Sanchez, and Johnson up next year each getting around 400 ABs and competing for starting jobs and playing time between SS and 2B. Plus Semien can get occasional PT at 3B or LF and Johnson could as well in the OF.

Of course this means trading Alexei which would hurt but if we actually want to get some young quality pitching or a power bat this off-season, Ramirez being traded offers the best chance of getting that back.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 28, 2014 -> 11:39 AM)
His weak arm is going to hurt the Sox a lot less at 2B than in LF because he actually has to make long throws from the left field corner.

Frankly, this post makes a lot more sense when you're talking about Semien. They will get his bat into the lineup wherever they can and he's shown the ability to handle it. When you have players who seem pretty confined to their positions - Johnson at 2B, Sanchez between 2B and SS, Gillaspie at 3B - you find the one who can move and you do just that. If Semien comes up and plays full time, I don't think anyone's going to care where he plays.

If he plays a full season's worth of games next year, but 90 come in LF, 5 in CF, 8 in RF, 27 at 3B, 6 at SS, and 11 at 2B, is anyone going to be upset? But, if Semien is the one who proves he can handle the outfield over the others, then he's the one who's going to do that role.

His upside in this scenario is a lot like Ben Zobrist. Now I am not saying he will have a 6.0 WAR in any given season like Zobrist, but someone who can hit really well and play a ton of positions has huge value.

QUOTE (The Wiz @ Aug 28, 2014 -> 11:48 AM)
I don't understand why it has to be either or, I personally would love to see all three of Semien, Sanchez, and Johnson up next year each getting around 400 ABs and competing for starting jobs and playing time between SS and 2B. Plus Semien can get occasional PT at 3B or LF and Johnson could as well in the OF.

Of course this means trading Alexei which would hurt but if we actually want to get some young quality pitching or a power bat this off-season, Ramirez being traded offers the best chance of getting that back.

I like all 3 of Sanchez, Johnson and Semien, but I don't know if I would trade Alexei just yet. Yes, his value at an all time high right now and he very well could win a gold glove this year, but he's one of those players that is just a White Sox player, homegrown, and a veteran leader that Sox will need when they get good. I would keep Alexei and trade one of 3 prospects.

I would not be mad if Alexei is traded but if it were to happen, better be damn good.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Aug 28, 2014 -> 12:02 PM)
I like all 3 of Sanchez, Johnson and Semien, but I don't know if I would trade Alexei just yet. Yes, his value at an all time high right now and he very well could win a gold glove this year, but he's one of those players that is just a White Sox player, homegrown, and a veteran leader that Sox will need when they get good. I would keep Alexei and trade one of 3 prospects.

I would not be mad if Alexei is traded but if it were to happen, better be damn good.

I think you just gave a great reason why he SHOULD be traded: his value is super high. He will be 33 come the start of the 2015 season and has a great contract with an option for $10 million each year over the next two seasons (signed through 2015 with a 2016 option). Right now he is the 3rd most valuable SS in the league.

The main question is do the Sox think they can compete in 2015 and 2016, thus making more sense to keep your star SS. But that may not be the best move for the future, partially because I don't think the Sox will be a playoff-caliber team next year. It's a tough situation. I do know if Alexei was on the Cubs, he would be traded. We'll see if Rick dangles him this offseason.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 28, 2014 -> 12:07 PM)
I think you just gave a great reason why he SHOULD be traded: his value is super high. He will be 33 come the start of the 2015 season and has a great contract with an option for $10 million each year over the next two seasons. Right now he is the 3rd most valuable SS in the league.

The main question is do the Sox think they can compete in 2015 and 2016, thus making more sense to keep your star SS. But that may not be the best move for the future, partially because I don't think the Sox will be a playoff-caliber team next year. It's a tough situation. I do know if Alexei was on the Cubs, he would be traded. We'll see if Rick dangles him this offseason.

Oh I completely agree on why he should be traded, but I get the feeling that Hahn thinks this team can compete next year with the right pieces acquired in the off season.

If that doesn't happen in the winter, then I could see around spring training that they could pull a trigger on a trade for Alexei if he were to be dealt.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Aug 28, 2014 -> 10:09 AM)

I HIGHLY doubt Micah Johnson's going to put up better defensive metrics than DeAza for at least a couple of seasons.

Johnson to LF is highly unlikely.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Aug 28, 2014 -> 01:10 PM)
If that doesn't happen in the winter, then I could see around spring training that they could pull a trigger on a trade for Alexei if he were to be dealt.

The only way a team is going to be looking to add an expensive, high-performing SS at the start of spring training is if someone gets hurt. Teams who are looking to compete will at least have some idea of who they're putting at that position well before then.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 28, 2014 -> 11:39 AM)

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 28, 2014 -> 11:45 AM)
wite answered for me. Moving Micah is appealing only on the very surface. When you dig deeper, it really doesn't anymore.

I must admit, you guys make a lot of sense and I can appreciate the insightful discussion. This discussion has raised a few questions I'm really unsure about and I think you guys and others can help.

1- let's say Micah plays 2B and Semien plays LF in 2015. Where do they hit in the batting order?

2- where does Anderson play when he's ready?

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Aug 28, 2014 -> 12:14 PM)
The last prospect that Hawk was obsessed with was C.J. Retherford.

He hit .201 in AAA before playing Independent ball the following year.

Oh man, I had forgotten about CJ. Let's hope Micah has better luck.

Edited by StRoostifer

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Aug 28, 2014 -> 01:20 PM)
I must admit, you guys make a lot of sense and I can appreciate the insightful discussion. This discussion has raised a few questions I'm really unsure about and I think you guys and others can help.

1- let's say Micah plays 2B and Semien plays LF in 2015. Where do they hit in the batting order?

1 is impossible to answer because we have no idea how Robin will set up the lineup. I'd guess Johnson would hit 2nd and Semien 7th or so, but that's a total guess. I'd probably prefer Johnson hitting 9th given his raw approach and Semien hitting 2nd due to his OBP, but it's hard to say.

2 is one where we cross that bridge when we get there. If he forces the Sox hand, I expect you'd see Johnson, Semien, or Sanchez dealt. It also assumes he sticks at SS or 2B which, while we've covered the errors caveat, there have been reports and suggestions in the past that he could be a guy who moves to the OF too. Rondon also figures into this as well because if he is as good as Simmons defensively, he's going to force the issue too if he continues to hit.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Aug 28, 2014 -> 09:47 AM)
Guess I'm just not seeing what all the hype is about but hey, I'm no scout by an means.

Its actually really cool were having these discussions. Just a few years ago the Sox really did not have any MI prospects to discuss and now there are three legit prospects with Anderson about a year behind them, maybe less. Big turn around in a short period of time.

Have you seen him play?

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Aug 28, 2014 -> 06:20 PM)

when the system this bare, the team needs prospects, any and all players are counted on.

with that there will be a time when we may have an excess of prospect in 1 area and not enuf

in another. so as hard as it is, but trading those access for other prospects the sox need.

Edited by LDF