Ray Rice Cut and Suspended Indefinitely

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 08:47 PM)
Which you would think would really infuriate the women's rights groups, because this is basically a group of men telling a woman "You dont know whats best for yourself sweetheart, let us men decide."

No, they are punishing Ray Rice, because Ray Rice committed a brutal assault in an elevator for the public to see.

You should make sure to mansplain to the women's groups how to feel about how we shouldn't punish Ray Rice, because it may hurt her. Make sure to use your great puns. Domestic violence puns are hilarious.

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 03:20 PM)
Just because the NFL hasn't had a backbone up until now, doesn't mean this was an overreaction. That is a gigantic characterization of where the burden of decency should lie.

I will repeat again, the loss of one's job because you punch someone in the face and knock them out is fully justified. This is nothing more than exactly that.

Those are two very different things. I'm like you, I'd love of the NFL was full of nothing but law-abiding, family-oriented people who volunteer on their off days. But that's not reality.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 03:50 PM)
Did...Did you just call Ray Rice a scapegoat?

I have yet to hear anyone complain about the San Fran player who BEAT UP HIS PREGNANT WIFE and wasn't suspended. Hell, he was allowed to play yesterday.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 01:33 PM)
Sorry, but if you watched that video and the thing you came away with was "man, that girl was annoying", you are viewing it in a cause and effect lens. If no punching happened, nobody would have had any strong opinions on how that person in the silent video behaved.

But in addition, and this is me judging, if you watched that video and one of your thoughts was "man, that girl was annoying", I don't' even know how to finish that. It's just absurd that could be a takeaway.

It's a perfectly legitimate observation. You can judge all you want. We all know you like to do that, because you are also apparently omniscient.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 03:55 PM)
I have yet to hear anyone complain about the San Fran player who BEAT UP HIS PREGNANT WIFE and wasn't suspended. Hell, he was allowed to play yesterday.

People are and will be. Same goes with Greg Hardy.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 03:52 PM)
No, they are punishing Ray Rice, because Ray Rice committed a brutal assault in an elevator for the public to see.

You should make sure to mansplain to the women's groups how to feel about how we shouldn't punish Ray Rice, because it may hurt her. Make sure to use your great puns. Domestic violence puns are hilarious.

/shrug

Can I not make holocaust jokes either?

And believe me, I work with plenty of victims of domestic violence, cant recall any who told me "You know what I want, I want a random group of people that have no clue about the situation to impact my life because they know best".

If you believe this is about domestic violence, I have a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn. This is about money. The second the Ravens didnt need Ray Rice, they got rid of him. Had they cared so much, they would have gotten rid of him months ago. Instead they had a pr blitz about Ray Rice being "better".

Cause you know, this is how it always goes. We have a trial, then a sentence, and the years/months later when people decided to get fauxrage about it, we just arbitrarily change the penalties.

LOL

I sincerely hope I never live in a system where that is at all palatable.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 03:32 PM)
I just like how all the people who are so supportive of his wife dont get that this actually hurts her economically and that in no world would she want Rice's contract to be terminated.

Its pretty much a slap to her face (pun intended), because not only is she a victim, she now suffers economic harm as well.

But hey, lets not think about this logically, instead lets just get our pound of flesh.

If anyone actually cared about his wife, they would give her 50% of the salary he would have made, or hell donate the money to a charity to help battered women.

But nah, Ravens will pocket the money, Rice will get paid a lot less by someone else, and all of the people who yelled for Rice to be "punished" will pat themselves on the back for being awesome.

As someone who is familiar with our legal system, you will surely realize that people who are breadwinners are sent to jail all of the time. We as a society don't not punish people just because it could hurt someone else.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 03:55 PM)

As long as we focus all of the lemmings on Ray Rice no one will look at the other actual bad things that are going on, or the fact that no one in the NFL actually cares, they just care about their image, and Ray Rice got caught on tape.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 03:53 PM)
Those are two very different things. I'm like you, I'd love of the NFL was full of nothing but law-abiding, family-oriented people who volunteer on their off days. But that's not reality.

Who gives a s*** if it is reality? That doesn't mean that firing someone for beating his gf/wife is an overreaction. Maybe if there were some real consequences for this action, it would get done less?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 03:58 PM)
As someone who is familiar with our legal system, you will surely realize that people who are breadwinners are sent to jail all of the time. We as a society don't not punish people just because it could hurt someone else.

If Ray Rice was sent to jail that would be an entirely different argument. But in this specific case, both parties were charged and Ray Rice ultimately worked out a deal where he was not (correct me if Im wrong) even found guilty of a misdemeanor. So to the best of my knowledge he was never convicted.

But that all played out months ago, none of this is new knowledge.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 04:00 PM)
Who gives a s*** if it is reality? That doesn't mean that firing someone for beating his gf/wife is an overreaction. Maybe if there were some real consequences for this action, it would get done less?

Because in the sense of what i'm talking about - an overreaction - it's true. This is above and beyond, by far, anything in NFL history when it comes to suspensions and punishments. And it was done in 4 hours. And it seemingly ignored a prior "sentence." The NFL willy-nilly said "oh s***! People saw the video! Better get rid of him quick!" It's the definition of an overreaction, even if you ultimately agree with the result.

And I don't disagree about setting harsh penalties. Setting a hard precedent would be great. But you have to be more fair about it. You can't set up a punishment system and on the fly change it because of public pressure. What if we did that with the law? Oh you were speeding, that's a $100 ticket noooooooooooooo wait, 60 days in jail! Maybe that'll teach you not to speed through this school zone!

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 04:04 PM)
Because in the sense of what i'm talking about - an overreaction - it's true. This is above and beyond, by far, anything in NFL history when it comes to suspensions and punishments. And it was done in 4 hours. And it seemingly ignored a prior "sentence." The NFL willy-nilly said "oh s***! People saw the video! Better get rid of him quick!" It's the definition of an overreaction, even if you ultimately agree with the result.

And I don't disagree about setting harsh penalties. Setting a hard precedent would be great. But you have to be more fair about it. You can't set up a punishment system and on the fly change it because of public pressure. What if we did that with the law? Oh you were speeding, that's a $100 ticket noooooooooooooo wait, 60 days in jail! Maybe that'll teach you not to speed through this school zone!

At some point, to set up harsher penalties someone has to be the first one to get them, so all of the historical BS of how they looked the other direction strawman will be there. If it wasn't Ray Rice, it was the next guy, or the guy after him. f*** the NFL for looking the other way for this for so long, and all of the other felony's they pretend don't happen. Hopefully some day they join the rest of the world in not wanting to associate with the people who beat their spouses, or any of the other felony's.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 03:33 PM)
Sorry, but if you watched that video and the thing you came away with was "man, that girl was annoying", you are viewing it in a cause and effect lens. If no punching happened, nobody would have had any strong opinions on how that person in the silent video behaved.

But in addition, and this is me judging, if you watched that video and one of your thoughts was "man, that girl was annoying", I don't' even know how to finish that. It's just absurd that could be a takeaway.

But that's not the only thing that I came away with. It was just verbiage I used when comparing it Josh Brent. I wasn't trying to say "Ray Rice punched her because she was drunk and annoying" I just described her as drunk and annoying, and that was solely from what I saw in the video.

This timing strikes me as less about responding appropriately now that new information is available than it seems to be about "oh s***, now that everyone sees this video they are thinking about it again and there is no longer any ambiguity about the level of guilt/violence involved." I'm assuming the league knew that he punched her in the face, knocking her out. Taking this action now reeks of them just trying to appease the angry mob rather than caring about the transgression in the first place.

And no, there is nothing they could have done to change the fact that they didn't treat it with appropriate seriousness in the first place. Today just serves as a reminder of what they do care about - angry mobs (a proxy for lost money)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 02:08 PM)
At some point, to set up harsher penalties someone has to be the first one to get them, so all of the historical BS of how they looked the other direction strawman will be there. If it wasn't Ray Rice, it was the next guy, or the guy after him. f*** the NFL for looking the other way for this for so long, and all of the other felony's they pretend don't happen. Hopefully some day they join the rest of the world in not wanting to associate with the people who beat their spouses, or any of the other felony's.

Honestly, I think it was somewhat unfair to Ray Rice, but he probably doesn't deserve a whole lot of fairness right now.

You would have liked to see the next idiot be the one to get the penalty, instead of this "retroactive public justice," but I don't know what else the NFL could have really done (at this point).

Interestingly enough, I am listening to PGA Tour radio of all things, and one of the hosts just made the same point Badger has been making about his wife being victimized twice because of her husband losing his job. :)

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 04:08 PM)

No, the NFL could have followed the protocol it created specifically as a result of this case. And not change their mind mere weeks later.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 04:13 PM)
No, the NFL could have followed the protocol it created specifically as a result of this case. And not change their mind mere weeks later.

So the NFL could have empowered a wife beater, in the interest of some kind of misguided fairness.

Pass.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 03:59 PM)
As long as we focus all of the lemmings on Ray Rice no one will look at the other actual bad things that are going on, or the fact that no one in the NFL actually cares, they just care about their image, and Ray Rice got caught on tape.

Of course the only thing they care about is their image. It's all about making money. The NFL isn't here to "police" society or their players. This is the job of the legal system. They wanted Rice to stay in the league because it makes the Ravens a better team and the league will make more money. He wasn't convicted of anything so the punishment was light. It's only with the outcry from the public, which may hurt their business, that they decided to get tougher.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 04:08 PM)

But this isn't a felony because there was no conviction. In all other cases they wait for the legal system to take it's course, just like the guy in San Francisco. Why is it up to the NFL to provide justice?

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 04:14 PM)
So the NFL could have empowered a wife beater, in the interest of some kind of misguided fairness.

Pass.

Misguided fairness? What the hell is the point of a protocol if you're just going to ignore it? They handed down the punishment and then because a video leaked they scrapped that in favor of something. That's bulls***, even if Rice deserves it.