Ray Rice Cut and Suspended Indefinitely

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 10:41 AM)
The extreme pressure before this video was ever released did the impossible: it got Roger Goodell to publicly apologize and look weak. I fully expect the outrage to be 10x what it was before now that the video is out. If the right people are loud enough for long enough to keep this in the headlines (and the nfl is powerless to act swiftly) than more people in power for the nfl will begin to care.

It's simple: people are emotional. Seeing it happen is a lot different than imagining it. Also the nfl media machine's message before this release was loud and clear: if you saw the whole video than you'd understand why Rice only got two games. It was easy to believe for a lot of people without evidence otherwise. That changed today.

To who exactly? Because he changed his mind on a punishment?

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 10:54 AM)
To everyone, for giving Rice two games.

So you and others think Goodell is weak because he took the appropriate action and admitted he was wrong? Is that a bad thing? I just don't see what "weak" or "strong" has to do with anything Goodell does unless it's about negotiations with the players.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 10:58 AM)
So you and others think Goodell is weak because he took the appropriate action and admitted he was wrong? Is that a bad thing? I just don't see what "weak" or "strong" has to do with anything Goodell does unless it's about negotiations with the players.

No he looked weaker for giving Rice only two games. That's what I'm saying. Awkwardly worded I guess.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 10:51 AM)
The NFL is also doing a 180 on having seen the full video before deciding on the suspension.

Someone Is Lying About Whether The NFL Saw The Ray Rice Tape

I just can't believe the NFL would be this stupid. TMZ had the original video before anyone. Hell, anyone with a FOIA request could get that tape. Why would the NFL even think about lying about seeing that tape? It gains nothing from doing so.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 11:00 AM)
No he looked weaker for giving Rice only two games. That's what I'm saying. Awkwardly worded I guess.

I still don't see what that has to do with anything. Him being weak, strong, or stupid in regards to his light punishment of Rice was remedied when he apologized and instituted an insanely rigid (theoretically, anyway) punishment scale for domestic violence.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 11:00 AM)
I just can't believe the NFL would be this stupid. TMZ had the original video before anyone. Hell, anyone with a FOIA request could get that tape. Why would the NFL even think about lying about seeing that tape? It gains nothing from doing so.

I agree it would be stupid of them. They do have public perception to gain though if they are believed. Also, wouldn't be the first time the nfl was caught covering up evidence in a major news story to save face.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 11:04 AM)
I still don't see what that has to do with anything. Him being weak, strong, or stupid in regards to his light punishment of Rice was remedied when he apologized and instituted an insanely rigid (theoretically, anyway) punishment scale for domestic violence.

I like that he apologized but he still ended up looking bad according to just about anyone.

LOL:

http://jezebel.com/if-you-care-about-women...5/+laceydonohue

It's been well-established that NFL leadership doesn't give a s*** about women, but with newly-released footage of Ray Rice punching his then-fiancee in the face prior to being gently wrist-slapped with a two-game suspension, one has to wonder: do NFL fans give a s*** about women?

But if you consider yourself a moral consumer who cares about equality, there is no excuse for continuing to be a fan of the NFL. "Not all NFL players!" is not an excuse when leadership is rotten from the top down. "But I'm barely contributing anything bad!" is as valid an excuse for continuing to support the NFL as it is for littering. No matter how fun it is, how thrilling, if you're a person who claims to care about women, watching the NFL is morally indefensible until something changes.

Jesus our society sucks so hard. So, so hard. This, liberals. This is the segment of your party that is equal to the religious right. Both are bat s*** crazy and ruining this country.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 11:22 AM)
LOL:

http://jezebel.com/if-you-care-about-women...5/+laceydonohue

Jesus our society sucks so hard. So, so hard. This, liberals. This is the segment of your party that is equal to the religious right. Both are bat s*** crazy and ruining this country.

Why are you bringing politics into this?

Why is there a public uproar over Ray Rice knocking out his annoying drunk wife but no one says anything about Josh Brent KILLING someone and only getting suspended 10 games, never mind only having to spend 6 months in jail.

You shouldn't hit a woman and I have no respect for Ray Rice, but its a bigger travesty that Josh Brent will be back on the field earning his millions in 11 weeks.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 12:10 PM)
How many people out there would have their jobs back after a felony conviction and six months out of work? I know I wouldn't.

And then your Boss complains that your suspension was too long

QUOTE (TRU @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 12:08 PM)
Why is there a public uproar over Ray Rice knocking out his annoying drunk wife but no one says anything about Josh Brent KILLING someone and only getting suspended 10 games, never mind only having to spend 6 months in jail.

You shouldn't hit a woman and I have no respect for Ray Rice, but its a bigger travesty that Josh Brent will be back on the field earning his millions in 11 weeks.

I mentioned that earlier but that news was conveniently released along side Michael Sam signing with the Cowboys.

QUOTE (TRU @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 05:08 PM)

What is going through your head when you write this?

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 12:15 PM)
What is going through your head when you write this?

What I saw in the video. Doesn't mean Ray Rice is justified in what he did. Point is, people are making a bigger deal about Ray Rice over the guy who killed someone and for some reason will be back on the field and playing this season. Sorry, you can be disgusted by Rice all you want but its not even close to the Josh Brent thing.

QUOTE (TRU @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 01:31 PM)
What I saw in the video. Doesn't mean Ray Rice is justified in what he did. Point is, people are making a bigger deal about Ray Rice over the guy who killed someone and for some reason will be back on the field and playing this season. Sorry, you can be disgusted by Rice all you want but its not even close to the Josh Brent thing.

But you kinda did justify it, you said she was annoying. The only role that word serves in that sentence is to offer some justification.

QUOTE (TRU @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 05:31 PM)

Listen, this isn't the victim olympics. Just because this other terrible event happened that you think is being underappreciated doesn't mean another terrible event is unimportant. But you almost certainly will not gain support for your view by justifying domestic violence. You can say that's not what you were doing, but you were quite clearly saying Ray Rice's incident was not that bad because his wife was being drunk and annoying.

Drunk driving in the NFL has a terrible history, as does this country. The Leonard Little era was disgusting. But there is likely less outrage for Brent because he did face criminal charges. Ray manipulated his way out of the charges, and the league showed way too much support for him. This also happens to be a common situation for victims of domestic violence, whereas victims of drunk driving tend to get the sympathy they deserve. People don't act like it was their fault.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 12:52 PM)
But you kinda did justify it, you said she was annoying. The only role that word serves in that sentence is to offer some justification.

You can take what I said however you want, I think I made it pretty clear that Ray Rice was in the wrong and you shouldn't hit a woman, much less anyone really.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 12:54 PM)
Listen, this isn't the victim olympics. Just because this other terrible event happened that you think is being underappreciated doesn't mean another terrible event is unimportant. But you almost certainly will not gain support for your view by justifying domestic violence. You can say that's not what you were doing, but you were quite clearly saying Ray Rice's incident was not that bad because his wife was being drunk and annoying.

Drunk driving in the NFL has a terrible history, as does this country. The Leonard Little era was disgusting. But there is likely less outrage for Brent because he did face criminal charges. Ray manipulated his way out of the charges, and the league showed way too much support for him. This also happens to be a common situation for victims of domestic violence, whereas victims of drunk driving tend to get the sympathy they deserve. People don't act like it was their fault.

I never said Ray Rice's incident wasn't that bad. If you watched the video, you saw his wife stumbling around trying to walk, slapping at Rice, and getting in his face. Was she drunk? Pretty clearly. Was she being annoying? Pretty clearly. Dont take my comments describing what I saw as trying to say it was OK for Ray Rice to knock her out. Killing someone is worse than hitting a woman, pretty cut and dry. Josh Brent serving 6 months in jail and only getting suspended 10 games is a joke compared to the attention Ray Rice is getting. I am already seeing rumors that he might get cut over the video, gimme a break.

QUOTE (TRU @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 12:08 PM)

I think 10 game suspension is enough. I would have been fine with 16 too. That was a case about making a terrible, life-taking decision. It's not like it was premeditated or in the heat of a fight or anything. He got drunk and drove. And the other guy was drunk and allowed it.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 12:17 PM)
@DanWetzel: Don't worry, only a few weeks until NFL puts pink on its uniforms to show it cares about women.

Listen, I get the point, but it's a moronic one. He (and others) are saying that while typing on computers/phones that are manufactured by poor children. Wetzel et al. clearly hate all children.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 01:01 PM)
I think 10 game suspension is enough. I would have been fine with 16 too. That was a case about making a terrible, life-taking decision. It's not like it was premeditated or in the heat of a fight or anything. He got drunk and drove. And the other guy was drunk and allowed it.

So a 10 game suspension is enough for "accidentally" killing someone, but Ray Rice should be suspended a year or more for hitting a woman?