Ray Rice Cut and Suspended Indefinitely

I don't like the double jeopardy from the NFL. They knew what happened, this video changes nothing. All it does is provide a sickening visual.

Yet NOW the punishment is changed. They missed their window to do the right thing.

Meanwhile, I'm cool with him being cut by the Ravens, even though they're just as hypocritical. They hadn't given their own previous sentence, so him being cut is the right thing. Just awful handling of this situation by all involved.

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 03:05 PM)
Im not really sure most people would lose their job over this. Its slightly different because the NFL is high profile and therefore there is public perception, but generally speaking most employers dont really give a f*** what you do on your own time. Many companies have plenty of dirt bag wife beaters.

/shrugs

The difference is most employers don't know you beat your wife. That is why you keep your job. Of all of the places I have ever worked, and I have worked for some real bottom feeders, I can't think of any that would have continued an employees hiring status after a video like that.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 03:15 PM)
Yeah justice served. His wife (the victim) now doesnt get the benefit of his huge contract that was just terminated.

SWEET SWEET JUSTICE.

LOL

He's made plenty. Now she can stop the phoniness of being on his side to collect his check, divorce him, take half, and move on to a healthier and happier situation.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 03:17 PM)
The difference is most employers don't know you beat your wife. That is why you keep your job. Of all of the places I have ever worked, and I have worked for some real bottom feeders, I can't think of any that would have continued an employees hiring status after a video like that.

Eh I disagree. Many huge corporations dont give a f*** how slimy the guys are, as long as they bring in money. I mean they dont fire guys for not paying child support, for raping, for whatever, so not really sure why this is any different.

Well besides for the fact that everyone just decided this was the fauxrage of the week.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 03:08 PM)
It is given the punishments handed out for other offenses, including domestic violence, in the past:

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/the-rat...ng-nfl-players/

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/nfl-do...cy-suspensions/

Three games was the most given out for domestic violence. Now we can add being cut and and an "indefinite suspension."

I don't see how this isn't considered an over-reaction. Rice is a moron and a terrible human being and I have no love for the guy. I don't like defending him. But given how the NFL has handed out punishments - and will in the future - this is just crazy to me.

edit: and I get why the Ravens and NFL did what they did. But it bothers me they were swayed so much by public opinion that their precedent and procedures were basically ignored. I mean if that's the case, let's go back and change some other crazy punishments (or lack thereof), like Gordon. Even if he is repeat offender, dude just smoked pot and got banned for a year.

Just because the NFL hasn't had a backbone up until now, doesn't mean this was an overreaction. That is a gigantic characterization of where the burden of decency should lie.

I will repeat again, the loss of one's job because you punch someone in the face and knock them out is fully justified. This is nothing more than exactly that.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 03:19 PM)
Eh I disagree. Many huge corporations dont give a f*** how slimy the guys are, as long as they bring in money. I mean they dont fire guys for not paying child support, for raping, for whatever, so not really sure why this is any different.

Well besides for the fact that everyone just decided this was the fauxrage of the week.

So if an employee is charged with rape and gets sent to prison, many corporations keep him on the payroll?

LOL.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 03:18 PM)
He's made plenty. Now she can stop the phoniness of being on his side to collect his check, divorce him, take half, and move on to a healthier and happier situation.

Not sure you understand how it works. But she could have left him while he still had the contract and been entitled to more than had his contract been terminated.

In no scenario does this help the victim, it actually hurts her.

But get the torches folks, we got a effigy to burn.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 03:19 PM)

In my view, beating one's significant other should result in some outrage, and I have no problem with it resulting in someone losing their job, along with appropriate legal punishments as well.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 03:22 PM)
In my view, beating one's significant other should result in some outrage, and I have no problem with it resulting in someone losing their job, along with appropriate legal punishments as well.

I have no problem with anyone doing what they want. But acting like this is the "normal" reaction is absurd.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 03:20 PM)
Just because the NFL hasn't had a backbone up until now, doesn't mean this was an overreaction. That is a gigantic characterization of where the burden of decency should lie.

I will repeat again, the loss of one's job because you punch someone in the face and knock them out is fully justified. This is nothing more than exactly that.

There is no question it is all PR. If they saw the video and knew it would never become public, I really doubt Rice's punishment is altered.

Whether that is now considered "fair" or consistent with previous punishment or with the current guidlines, I don't personally care. I think Rice got what he deserved in the first place.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 03:15 PM)
I don't like the double jeopardy from the NFL. They knew what happened, this video changes nothing. All it does is provide a sickening visual.

Yet NOW the punishment is changed. They missed their window to do the right thing.

Meanwhile, I'm cool with him being cut by the Ravens, even though they're just as hypocritical. They hadn't given their own previous sentence, so him being cut is the right thing. Just awful handling of this situation by all involved.

How doesn't this blowback on Goodell and the Ravens....

Meeting with him and his wife, press conference with him and his wife... stories about what a good guy Ray Rice is...

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/articl...9e-638552b14c2b

it's a joke

Edited by buhbuhburrrrlz

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 03:22 PM)

See I agree with this. What I don't agree with is no outrage over Josh Brent. Literally not a word about it.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 03:27 PM)
You're right, she asked for it, but she did apologize.

For the millionth time, its just an observation from watching the video. Never once said she was asking for it or deserved it.

I just like how all the people who are so supportive of his wife dont get that this actually hurts her economically and that in no world would she want Rice's contract to be terminated.

Its pretty much a slap to her face (pun intended), because not only is she a victim, she now suffers economic harm as well.

But hey, lets not think about this logically, instead lets just get our pound of flesh.

If anyone actually cared about his wife, they would give her 50% of the salary he would have made, or hell donate the money to a charity to help battered women.

But nah, Ravens will pocket the money, Rice will get paid a lot less by someone else, and all of the people who yelled for Rice to be "punished" will pat themselves on the back for being awesome.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 08:20 PM)
Oh, ok...well than then matter is clearly settled.

Sorry, but if you watched that video and the thing you came away with was "man, that girl was annoying", you are viewing it in a cause and effect lens. If no punching happened, nobody would have had any strong opinions on how that person in the silent video behaved.

But in addition, and this is me judging, if you watched that video and one of your thoughts was "man, that girl was annoying", I don't' even know how to finish that. It's just absurd that could be a takeaway.

QUOTE (TRU @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 03:28 PM)
See I agree with this. What I don't agree with is no outrage over Josh Brent. Literally not a word about it.

Because the crime wasn't malicious in intent and he was prosecuted and he served his time.

If rice is prosecuted and serves his time determined by the legal system he should get a second chance. The problem is the way he got out of being prosecuted and wasn't being punished.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 08:32 PM)
I just like how all the people who are so supportive of his wife dont get that this actually hurts her economically and that in no world would she want Rice's contract to be terminated.

Its pretty much a slap to her face (pun intended), because not only is she a victim, she now suffers economic harm as well.

But hey, lets not think about this logically, instead lets just get our pound of flesh.

If anyone actually cared about his wife, they would give her 50% of the salary he would have made, or hell donate the money to a charity to help battered women.

But nah, Ravens will pocket the money, Rice will get paid a lot less by someone else, and all of the people who yelled for Rice to be "punished" will pat themselves on the back for being awesome.

I guess I'll speak for myself when I say that her financial stability is not worth the physical abuse, and likely verbal abuse. There are no winners here, but Rice should not have the privilege of being an NFL football player after performing such a violent act. Hopefully he takes this extra time to spends it on addressing his issues.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 03:32 PM)

I wondered out loud here back when the new punishments were first announced if it'd have the effect of making some DV victims even more hesitant to come forward. "Yeah, my husband beat me up again, but if I report this one, he's going to lose his $50M contract"

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 01:41 PM)
I wondered out loud here back when the new punishments were first announced if it'd have the effect of making some DV victims even more hesitant to come forward. "Yeah, my husband beat me up again, but if I report this one, he's going to lose his $50M contract"

Of course that works both ways, in terms of potential extortion...

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 03:39 PM)
I guess I'll speak for myself when I say that her financial stability is not worth the physical abuse, and likely verbal abuse. There are no winners here, but Rice should not have the privilege of being an NFL football player after performing such a violent act. Hopefully he takes this extra time to spends it on addressing his issues.

Your perspective. I have worked with many people who have gone through a lot of terrible stuff. If you arent them, you cant really know their perspective. Whether Rice's wife is suffering from battered women syndrome, I dont know, but what I do know, is that she has seemingly forgiven him months ago. To now fire him, is completely disrespectful to her. Its akin to saying she is a child and she doesnt know whats good for her.

Which you would think would really infuriate the women's rights groups, because this is basically a group of men telling a woman "You dont know whats best for yourself sweetheart, let us men decide."

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 03:41 PM)

This is actually a legitimate concern for many victims of domestic violence. If they are dependent on their significant other to earn a wage, its really hard to put them in prison and then be homeless. While Ray Rice's wife may never have this worry, such a high profile act will definitely having a chilling effect on domestic violence being reported.

But at least we got a scapegoat to make us all feel good for a week.