July 2nd (2015) prospects

ChiliIrishHammock24

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 23, 2015 -> 08:18 PM)
Just once, I'd like to see them sign an Endy Chavez, Fr.Gutierrez or Juan Lagares quality defender in the OF...to be used as a defensive replacement.

If Shuck was a good enough defensive upgrade, that would be one thing...but I have a feeling RV isn't going to pull either Cabrera or Avi for JB Shuck because of the offensive sacrifice isn't being offset enough like with DeAza/Viciedo.

Maybe...someday...Thompson, but they still want to see if he can develop his bat.

interesting.... a very interesting opinion.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 23, 2015 -> 03:18 PM)
Just once, I'd like to see them sign an Endy Chavez, Fr.Gutierrez or Juan Lagares quality defender in the OF...to be used as a defensive replacement.

If Shuck was a good enough defensive upgrade, that would be one thing...but I have a feeling RV isn't going to pull either Cabrera or Avi for JB Shuck because of the offensive sacrifice isn't being offset enough like with DeAza/Viciedo.

Maybe...someday...Thompson, but they still want to see if he can develop his bat.

Thompson may turn into an ideal 4th OF. Jason Coats, recently promoted to Charlotte, could be that as well. Engel Beltre, from what I understand, has strong D credentials too but I admit I don't know a ton about him.

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of White Sox information on the MLB prospect pipeline website in regards to July 2nd free agency. Here is the link to the top 30: http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2015?list=int

White Sox expected to sign #30 prospect Franklin Reyes who we have dissected on the board already. White Sox also the favorites to land Fernando Tatis Jr. He's a 16 year old SS that is 6'1 175 pounds and the son of former ML Fernando Tatis. Here is the report: Scouting grades: Hit: 50 | Power: 40 | Run: 50 | Arm: 60 | Field: 50

The son of former Major League infielder Fernando Tatis Sr., the teenage infielder grew up around the game, and it shows.

Scouts like Tatis Jr.'s swing, his strong arm and his fluid actions on defense. He's shown decent arm strength and raw power to his pull side. Tatis Jr.'s knack for barreling up balls and his repeatable swing have also impressed evaluators.

Some believe Tatis Jr. can play multiple positions and could end up at second or third base or even in the outfield. His big frame will allow him to build strength.

Scouts also like his makeup and how he handles himself on and off the field. He has a game-oriented mindset, and his makeup is off the charts.

The White Sox are considered the favorite to land Tatis Jr.

The White Sox and Cubs are battling for RHP Anderson Amarista, the #17 prospect. Here is that description: Scouting grades: Fastball: 50 | Curveball: 50 | Changeup: 50 | Control: 50

One of the top pitchers from Venezuela, Amarista is known for his fastball-curveball-changeup combination.

Amarista has a decent fastball, but he has impressed scouts with his feel for his changeup. Other scouts think his curveball is his best pitch. What most scouts agree on is that Amarista's pitchability and his arm actions on the mound also make him attractive to teams. Evaluators also praise his high baseball IQ. It's unclear if Amarista will ever wow scouts with fastball velocity, but he can throw strikes and make hitters chase his pitches out of the strike zone.

Amarista will benefit from working with pitching coaches and instructors once he signs and enters a team's academy. His development and growth could result in increased velocity to his fastball and overall pitching ability in the future.

The Cubs and the White Sox are considered the favorites to sign him.

The White Sox are also linked to C Rafael Marchan out of Spain: Scouting grades: Hit: 60 | Power: 30 | Run: 30 | Arm: 60 | Field: 50

From Tachira, Venezuela, Marchan has been described as a "catcher's catcher."

Here's why: The hard-working Marchan has shown a high baseball IQ and can be counted on to make the right play. He's savvy, and although he might not have the most tools in the class, he makes the most of his abilities and can make plays in games.

Marchan can hit. He's been praised for his ability to make contact and not give away at-bats. Scouts also like that he has a track record of international experience and is not afraid of the big stage. Marchan has impressed scouts with his defense. He also has decent arm, and there's hope his power will increase as he matures.

Marchan might not be the flashiest player in the class, but he's the type of player many clubs would like in their system.

The Braves, White Sox and Padres have all scouted Marchan heavily.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 5, 2015 -> 09:26 AM)
Lots of White Sox information on the MLB prospect pipeline website in regards to July 2nd free agency. Here is the link to the top 30: http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2015?list=int

White Sox expected to sign #30 prospect Franklin Reyes who we have dissected on the board already. White Sox also the favorites to land Fernando Tatis Jr. He's a 16 year old SS that is 6'1 175 pounds and the son of former ML Fernando Tatis. Here is the report: Scouting grades: Hit: 50 | Power: 40 | Run: 50 | Arm: 60 | Field: 50

The son of former Major League infielder Fernando Tatis Sr., the teenage infielder grew up around the game, and it shows.

Scouts like Tatis Jr.'s swing, his strong arm and his fluid actions on defense. He's shown decent arm strength and raw power to his pull side. Tatis Jr.'s knack for barreling up balls and his repeatable swing have also impressed evaluators.

Some believe Tatis Jr. can play multiple positions and could end up at second or third base or even in the outfield. His big frame will allow him to build strength.

Scouts also like his makeup and how he handles himself on and off the field. He has a game-oriented mindset, and his makeup is off the charts.

The White Sox and Cubs are battling for RHP Anderson Amarista, the #17 prospect. Here is that description: Scouting grades: Fastball: 50 | Curveball: 50 | Changeup: 50 | Control: 50

One of the top pitchers from Venezuela, Amarista is known for his fastball-curveball-changeup combination.

Amarista has a decent fastball, but he has impressed scouts with his feel for his changeup. Other scouts think his curveball is his best pitch. What most scouts agree on is that Amarista's pitchability and his arm actions on the mound also make him attractive to teams. Evaluators also praise his high baseball IQ. It's unclear if Amarista will ever wow scouts with fastball velocity, but he can throw strikes and make hitters chase his pitches out of the strike zone.

Amarista will benefit from working with pitching coaches and instructors once he signs and enters a team's academy. His development and growth could result in increased velocity to his fastball and overall pitching ability in the future.

The White Sox are also linked to C Rafael Marchan out of Spain: Scouting grades: Hit: 60 | Power: 30 | Run: 30 | Arm: 60 | Field: 50

Here's why: The hard-working Marchan has shown a high baseball IQ and can be counted on to make the right play. He's savvy, and although he might not have the most tools in the class, he makes the most of his abilities and can make plays in games.

Marchan can hit. He's been praised for his ability to make contact and not give away at-bats. Scouts also like that he has a track record of international experience and is not afraid of the big stage. Marchan has impressed scouts with his defense. He also has decent arm, and there's hope his power will increase as he matures.

Marchan might not be the flashiest player in the class, but he's the type of player many clubs would like in their system.

Good stuff, thanks!

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 5, 2015 -> 03:26 PM)

good stuff, i like that the sox are tinkering with getting the pitcher at 17. all i have to say is pls, go over slot and get him, those that you mention and Vladimir Guerrero Jr. i will be happy as a pig in mud.

I can't stop watching the video for Yonathan Sierra Estiwal. He's 6'3 205lbs, he's 16 so he's probably not done growing, if he grew another two inches I wouldn't be surprised. Plus his swing is fantastic.

My favorite phases in the scouting report by MLB were... 'improving hit tool', 'ability to drive the ball to the opposite field'.

I'm jealous that the Cubs are attached to him. He should be good.

Edited by Joshua Strong

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ May 6, 2015 -> 10:19 PM)
I can't stop watching the video for Yonathan Sierra Estiwal. He's 6'3 205lbs, he's 16 so he's probably not done growing, if he grew another two inches I wouldn't be surprised. Plus his swing is fantastic.

My favorite phases in the scouting report by MLB were... 'improving hit tool', 'ability to drive the ball to the opposite field'.

I'm jealous that the Cubs are attached to him. He should be good.

That's the first time I've seen Jonathan spelled "Yonathan."

Cool name.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 7, 2015 -> 11:56 AM)
That's the first time I've seen Jonathan spelled "Yonathan."

Cool name.

this may come out really racial, but to me, this sound and looks like the old european baltic way of doing it.

now i see a lot in the jewish was of pronouncing it.

a great movie, entebbe with charle bronson. true story the main character is yonni which is short for Yonathan or johning or jonathan.

QUOTE (LDF @ May 9, 2015 -> 04:51 PM)
this may come out really racial, but to me, this sound and looks like the old european baltic way of doing it.

now i see a lot in the jewish was of pronouncing it.

a great movie, entebbe with charle bronson. true story the main character is yonni which is short for Yonathan or johning or jonathan.

Or, much more simply, it is just spelling to pronunciation, such as Yohan.

• 1 month later...
QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 18, 2015 -> 03:03 PM)
Ben Badler has a new piece today with White Sox info for July 2nd. Does anyone have a Baseball America account?

I saw that on Twitter and was coming here to ask the same thing

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 18, 2015 -> 10:03 PM)
Ben Badler has a new piece today with White Sox info for July 2nd. Does anyone have a Baseball America account?

Just lists Franklin Reyes as Sox "primary target", similar to MLB.com. Says bonus should exceed $1m.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 27, 2015 -> 05:20 AM)
using the same chart, it has the sox tied to 2 players only..... while others are more.

And the odds for any of them to make the big leagues....roughly the same as a 4th - 10th round pick, with some obvious exceptions at the very top of the ratings where 80% of the resources are being allocated.