Yoan Moncada signs with Red Sox

GGajewski18

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 12, 2015 -> 04:49 PM)
MLB Daily Dish ‏@mlbdailydish 5h5 hours ago

Latest on Yoan Moncada, with #Yankees, #Padres, and #Dodgers all interested: http://sbnation.com/e/7791204

If I was a betting man I would go all in on the Yankee's getting him. Jeter being gone and their need for the next star replacement at shortstop. They probably see Yoan as being the perfect candidate to do that.

QUOTE (shipps @ Feb 12, 2015 -> 05:14 PM)
If I was a betting man I would go all in on the Yankee's getting him. Jeter being gone and their need for the next star replacement at shortstop. They probably see Yoan as being the perfect candidate to do that.

Except almost all of the scouting reports are putting him at 3B, 2B and CF.

If his offense is elite, you can get away with a below-average defender at a position, but there's also a belief he's going to fill out even more, making SS even more of a challenge.

A lot of teams, apparently, have had questions about his arm and playability at that position after workouts and are trying to get him back for a 2nd look to do more defensive/fielding drills.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Feb 12, 2015 -> 07:16 PM)
I really wish the Sox were in this derby, imagine if he could eventually replace Conor. That lineup would be just sick.

I'm actually more intrigued by Hector Olivera at this point because not only will he come cheaper, but he is not subject to bonus pool rules, so he can freely sign a 4 yr/$50M deal if the Sox wanted to offer him. He obviously doesn't have the ceiling or the tool set Moncada has, but because he is already a Cuban vet (He's 29), he is ready to play major league 2B at a high level right now.

Would be even better if Olivera could play 3B and we could still keep Micah in this lineup because I'm a big fan of his. He played 3B in his final showcase and a lot of teams are viewing him as such...

http://www.baseballamerica.com/internation...final-showcase/

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Feb 13, 2015 -> 01:46 AM)
I'm actually more intrigued by Hector Olivera at this point because not only will he come cheaper, but he is not subject to bonus pool rules, so he can freely sign a 4 yr/$50M deal if the Sox wanted to offer him. He obviously doesn't have the ceiling or the tool set Moncada has, but because he is already a Cuban vet (He's 29), he is ready to play major league 2B at a high level right now.

Would be even better if Olivera could play 3B and we could still keep Micah in this lineup because I'm a big fan of his. He played 3B in his final showcase and a lot of teams are viewing him as such...

http://www.baseballamerica.com/internation...final-showcase/

A guy like this makes SO MUCH more sense than Moncada for a team that plays their dollars as wisely as the Sox.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 13, 2015 -> 09:47 AM)
A guy like this makes SO MUCH more sense than Moncada for a team that plays their dollars as wisely as the Sox.

I don't think the Sox have $50M (what Dave Cameron thinks he will get) to pay in taxes within 30 days of signing Moncada, most teams probably don't, but more importantly I don't think the Sox like to break or bend the rules of the league. I don't recall them ever taking advantage of loopholes in the system.

the idea of getting a young Trout, a young Stanton, a young Jeter how ever he develops, the price is worth it. the salary is hard to get used to, but look at the positives, fans in the stands, when the sox are making a run for the playoff, in the playoff, the on the field positives, let alone the media coverages, and for the financial aspects the commercial side, it is a win win situation.

now totally unrelated question,

Yoan is eligible to sign now, but at what point can he sign after spring training and it will count as next yr int't signing and the penalties.,

QUOTE (LDF @ Feb 16, 2015 -> 09:53 AM)
the idea of getting a young Trout, a young Stanton, a young Jeter how ever he develops, the price is worth it. the salary is hard to get used to, but look at the positives, fans in the stands, when the sox are making a run for the playoff, in the playoff, the on the field positives, let alone the media coverages, and for the financial aspects the commercial side, it is a win win situation.

Yoan is eligible to sign now, but at what point can he sign after spring training and it will count as next yr int't signing and the penalties.,

There is no guarantee this guy becomes anything close to those players. You can justify handing those guys the checks right now, since you know what they can do. Moncada is a mystery, and every GM putting an offer on him should NOT expect him to become the next Trout/Stanton/Jeter, because he could just as easily become the next Viciedo

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 16, 2015 -> 04:58 PM)
There is no guarantee this guy becomes anything close to those players. You can justify handing those guys the checks right now, since you know what they can do. Moncada is a mystery, and every GM putting an offer on him should NOT expect him to become the next Trout/Stanton/Jeter, because he could just as easily become the next Viciedo

you are sooo right, that is way i stated, the idea of getting, there is no guarantees. but it is a possibilities. look at Trout and Stanton, no one knew what they would turn out to become. but it does help to gamble.

QUOTE (LDF @ Feb 16, 2015 -> 09:53 AM)

We have arguably two of the Top 10-15 players in baseball already and the positives have been fairly limited in terms of media and attendance.

The bar would have to be set INCREDIBLY high for him to end up better than Sale and Abreu.

Not to mention the fact that he probably wouldn't be a regular contributor until the end of 2016 or early 2017...any team throwing him right into the majors at 19 would be very shortsighted. It has only worked out a couple of times in the history of the modern game.

QUOTE (LDF @ Feb 16, 2015 -> 10:14 AM)
you are sooo right, that is way i stated, the idea of getting, there is no guarantees. but it is a possibilities. look at Trout and Stanton, no one knew what they would turn out to become. but it does help to gamble.

Trout and Stanton arent blind gambles with massive contracts

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 16, 2015 -> 05:19 PM)
We have arguably two of the Top 10-15 players in baseball already and the positives have been fairly limited in terms of media and attendance.

The bar would have to be set INCREDIBLY high for him to end up better than Sale and Abreu.

Not to mention the fact that he probably wouldn't be a regular contributor until the end of 2016 or early 2017...any team throwing him right into the majors at 19 would be very shortsighted. It has only worked out a couple of times in the history of the modern game.

but you are looking at the results from the previous yr success. now this yr, is basing on last yr success, let alone all the positive from the growing potential of the prospects. it is going to get better and better. if no one can see that, they have a limited vision.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 16, 2015 -> 05:19 PM)

you are right, it all depends on the final money.... not the guess work that the fans are thinking.

QUOTE (LDF @ Feb 16, 2015 -> 10:32 AM)
again, the other question, if Yoan signs after this yr int't signing period, when can he sign so it won't be affecting the salary until next yr???

Well his salary would be league minimum in the majors but I think teams are able to pay his signing bonus over the next 3 years while the tax has to be paid within a month I believe.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 16, 2015 -> 07:29 PM)
Well his salary would be league minimum in the majors but I think teams are able to pay his signing bonus over the next 3 years while the tax has to be paid within a month I believe.

thanks for that info, but i am wondering, if he signs in july 20, will the team be penalize next yr in ref to int'l signing?