FutureSox on Yoan Moncada

Ozzie Ball

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 04:29 PM)
The players I can live with or without. My big thing is this means we blow our entire spending budget this winter on a 19 year old who probably won't help us this year.

Is that worth it?

if it means just losing the Intl Amateur dollars alone? Then a 19 year old Moncada is a better gamble than a handful of 16 year olds at high 6 or low 7 figures, IMO. Going beyond that? Some is OK. Blowing all the money for filling major league holes for 2015? Then maybe not so much.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 04:36 PM)
if it means just losing the Intl Amateur dollars alone? Then a 19 year old Moncada is a better gamble than a handful of 16 year olds at high 6 or low 7 figures, IMO. Going beyond that? Some is OK. Blowing all the money for filling major league holes for 2015? Then maybe not so much.

This.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 10:41 PM)
This.

if the sox can max the signing by signing all that they can, why not? for a penalty

that will need to paid anyway.

however most to all that was written was said, but this was a good summation. the problem

I have, not about the article but about the sox, have anyone heard if the sox are interested?

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 03:36 PM)

This. Let's get him unless it's crazy.

I'm confused if we sign him to a contract say 5/50 mil for the sake of easy math. I get we'd have to pay the 50 mil dollar fine and not being able to sign international talent for 2 years for more than 300k. But what would the actual hit on this years cap be? 10 mil or what?

If it's just the small hit I don't see why it's even a question to sign him. If he is as good as advertised you aren't going to get a chance at a guy like him every year so they probably wouldn't miss much for 2 seasons. I don't know I could be completely lost on how the international signing work. But to me he is worth the 2 years of not signing international talent. Again I have no idea how the cap hit will affect the ability to sign players from the free agency pool.

QUOTE (MDWhiteSoxFan @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 04:48 AM)
I'm confused if we sign him to a contract say 5/50 mil for the sake of easy math. I get we'd have to pay the 50 mil dollar fine and not being able to sign international talent for 2 years for more than 300k. But what would the actual hit on this years cap be? 10 mil or what?

If it's just the small hit I don't see why it's even a question to sign him. If he is as good as advertised you aren't going to get a chance at a guy like him every year so they probably wouldn't miss much for 2 seasons. I don't know I could be completely lost on how the international signing work. But to me he is worth the 2 years of not signing international talent. Again I have no idea how the cap hit will affect the ability to sign players from the free agency pool.

a good question, i am more than sure these guys here will have the answer.

my other point, wouldn't that really go beyond the budget that JR gave Hahn and the budget

that Hahn said to the fans??

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 10:59 PM)
a good question, i am more than sure these guys here will have the answer.

my other point, wouldn't that really go beyond the budget that JR gave Hahn and the budget

that Hahn said to the fans??

The posts I have read on this site shows me this forum is made up of extremely knowledgeable people. Makes me proud to be a ChiSox fan knowing we have fans that are knowledgeable of the game.

What is our budget usually about?

QUOTE (MDWhiteSoxFan @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 05:03 AM)
The posts I have read on this site shows me this forum is made up of extremely knowledgeable people. Makes me proud to be a ChiSox fan knowing we have fans that are knowledgeable of the game.

What is our budget usually about?

different times different era different budget. this yr, 100 mil +/-

i will not get into the rah rah stuff about these great posters as well. the early

2002 + was really wild. dang there i go again sounding like someone gandpa.

but i am tell the truth, also don't count the mods and admin out. they are great as well.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 04:27 PM)
There is an existing Moncada thread this was in, but I elected to split it off. This is a great write-up from Jeff, and worth the read for everyone.

this was a great write up...thanks for posting.

QUOTE (MDWhiteSoxFan @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 09:48 PM)

There can be no "5/50". He is an amateur. That means the entire amount you spend is a bonus, which means it is paid in year one, all of it. So you'd pay him $50M, and MLB $50M, for a total of $100M, all in bonus.

The good news is, he is then on the typical minor league plan - minors regular pay, majors 3 years per-arb, 3 years arb (give or take a year).

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 24, 2014 -> 03:25 AM)
There can be no "5/50". He is an amateur. That means the entire amount you spend is a bonus, which means it is paid in year one, all of it. So you'd pay him $50M, and MLB $50M, for a total of $100M, all in bonus.

The good news is, he is then on the typical minor league plan - minors regular pay, majors 3 years per-arb, 3 years arb (give or take a year).

which is a big IF he doesn't want to play ball anymore. what recourse is there

if he takes the money and lets say 1 yr decide not to play?

on a side note, where does the penalty money goes?

If signing him will cripple us from going out and signing pieces that will contribute to the Major League roster this year then I am shifting towards no thank you. If signing him doesn't cripple us from filling out a competitive roster then go for it. But what I took from all of it comes this year means there goes the budget for this year.

QUOTE (MDWhiteSoxFan @ Nov 24, 2014 -> 07:50 AM)
If signing him will cripple us from going out and signing pieces that will contribute to the Major League roster this year then I am shifting towards no thank you. If signing him doesn't cripple us from filling out a competitive roster then go for it. But what I took from all of it comes this year means there goes the budget for this year.

After signing LaRoche and Duke, I have to think the already small odds of signing Moncada are now about zero.

Hochevar/Rasmus/Volquez

No matter who they get, there will be polarized opinions and no player/acquisition will be universally-praised.

And I'm 100% ready to turn the page on Danks and try Ethier as well...rather than having to trade, say, Micah Johnson and Beck/Bassit for two years of Josh Reddick, for example.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 24, 2014 -> 08:17 PM)
Hochevar/Rasmus/Volquez

No matter who they get, there will be polarized opinions and no player/acquisition will be universally-praised.

And I'm 100% ready to turn the page on Danks and try Ethier as well...rather than having to trade, say, Micah Johnson and Beck/Bassit for two years of Josh Reddick, for example.

I'd rather none of the above. (I'd be okay with Danks/Ethier if the Sox didn't already have 2 lefties that can't hit righties pencilled in the lineup).

Use Alexei to bring the OF in here. We can get a younger Reddick + for Alexei.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 24, 2014 -> 10:14 PM)
Use Alexei to bring the OF in here. We can get a younger Reddick + for Alexei.

I don't get you. You don't want Cespedes (not that I'm advocating him either) because of his low OBP career wise, yet you want Reddick because he's a couple years younger... and he has a lower career OBP than Cespedes does with over 200 more PA..

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 25, 2014 -> 03:17 AM)
Hochevar/Rasmus/Volquez

I rather have the sox of white, will get these 2 bolded players. they will be great in the

uni of the sox. the hoopla about Volquez is overblown.

by getting these 2 the sox can save Alexei and the team will continue to get stronger.

I will also add Ichiro Suzuki as the last outfield position.

I do not know advance stats, but I am posting this

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/...p;year=&t=b

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Nov 24, 2014 -> 11:24 PM)
I don't get you. You don't want Cespedes (not that I'm advocating him either) because of his low OBP career wise, yet you want Reddick because he's a couple years younger... and he has a lower career OBP than Cespedes does with over 200 more PA..

Reddick's closest comp on B-R is Viciedo.