Serial Podcast

Jenksismyhero

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 12, 2014 -> 05:24 AM)
I'm not looking things up online because I want to listen and see what happens, but hope people don't have expectations that it will end with someone else being found as the killer and Adnan being released. I'm expecting a ho hum finish and would be fine with that since it has been so well done and interesting.

Same. This isn't a scripted show or a case that already has an ending so I am not expecting much with the final

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I thought she did a good job.

I also think she made a compelling case at the end that all the coincidences only make sense if you take Jay's story as the baseline.

On the other hand, I wish she would have, given she dove into a podcast for a year on this, pushed harder into why the hell Jay is lying. No speculation whatsoever there?

I think the producer's summary of how unlucky Adnan would be to truly be innocent basically sums up my feelings on the case. While the parts aren't all there, there's enough circumstantial evidence. Things fit together. The cell phone records are very persuasive. I would most likely convict, but I wouldn't have been upset if he wasn't.

I wish there was more Adnan. I wish she would have played his answers to the tough questions. I get that she probably didn't want to make it about whether people believe him or not based on his answers 15 years later, but it really bothers me that she doesn't keep nailing him with tough questions. I feel like she's always giving him layups and then is completely satisfied when he comes up with a plausible answer.

In the end it was a good series. Glad I listened. I'll tune into season 2. I hope they eventually do another "here's some new information" episode on this case in a few months. If she's getting calls from people as late as this week because of the popularity of the podcast, she's going to get more as the weeks go by. I'd also like an update on those DNA tests, although I think the only thing surprising at this point would be if there was a match with Adnan, Jay or that now-dead murderer.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 18, 2014 -> 10:49 AM)
Yeah, I thought she did a good job.

I also think she made a compelling case at the end that all the coincidences only make sense if you take Jay's story as the baseline.

On the other hand, I wish she would have, given she dove into a podcast for a year on this, pushed harder into why the hell Jay is lying. No speculation whatsoever there?

She probably would have but Jay didn't want to be recorded and was only talked to off the record.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 18, 2014 -> 01:28 PM)
I think the producer's summary of how unlucky Adnan would be to truly be innocent basically sums up my feelings on the case. While the parts aren't all there, there's enough circumstantial evidence. Things fit together. The cell phone records are very persuasive. I would most likely convict, but I wouldn't have been upset if he wasn't.

I wish there was more Adnan. I wish she would have played his answers to the tough questions. I get that she probably didn't want to make it about whether people believe him or not based on his answers 15 years later, but it really bothers me that she doesn't keep nailing him with tough questions. I feel like she's always giving him layups and then is completely satisfied when he comes up with a plausible answer.

In the end it was a good series. Glad I listened. I'll tune into season 2. I hope they eventually do another "here's some new information" episode on this case in a few months. If she's getting calls from people as late as this week because of the popularity of the podcast, she's going to get more as the weeks go by. I'd also like an update on those DNA tests, although I think the only thing surprising at this point would be if there was a match with Adnan, Jay or that now-dead murderer.

This is what I want to know the most. Does anyone know how long the process takes of getting the DNA test approved and how long it would take? I hope it is linked to someone so we have an answer.

My wife actually was about 5 minutes into the first episode when I walked in the house after work last night. She started it over for me and finished the first episode. I can see how people get hooked on it. The fact that it is a real case is what has me so intrigued. Obviously some people are lying. My gut tells me Jay is full of it, but like others here have said he could be in on it with Adnan. Looking forward to more episodes.

I listened to all 12 episodes in about a day and a half, total binge. Enjoyed it. The ending is as expected. From the start I really thought he did it, but the case was so f***ed up that I don't know how they found him guilty. Seems weird.

I think Jay was more involved. That he got no jail time for it is the weirdest thing about the case to me.

• 3 weeks later...

just binge listened in 2 days. Intriguing stuff. We must bear in mind that we as listeners are 100% dependent upon how Koenig chooses to portray the story. I think she does so somewhat impartially, but I'm not sure. My gut tells me Adnan MUST be involved, and that he and Jay are both lying in some capacity. Jay has come out since and has said his inconsistencies were due to protecting his family and himself, which I think makes sense. Either way it is completely obvious that Adnans attorneys were absolutely stupid to not win this case. It seemed so obvious that the defense could disprove Jay and there was a complete lack of any other evidence

Edited by daa84

• 2 weeks later...

Successfully avoided this thread over the past month while I started listening to this. Finally finished it up today. Really disappointed that there was no conclusion, but it should have been expected I guess. I really hope Sarah does some updates if more info comes out. I'm still very interested in this story. At worst, this story is now going to be looked in to by a lot of people and maybe something will break and it will because of Serial.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 16, 2015 -> 08:08 AM)

weird.

It's interesting but I'd want someone more reliable to weigh in. You read articles like that and realize, heyyy this is only a hop skip and a jump from the conspiracy articles that all mass murders are just actors to allow the new world order to take over.

Edited by bmags

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 19, 2015 -> 10:18 AM)
weird.

It's interesting but I'd want someone more reliable to weigh in. You read articles like that and realize, heyyy this is only a hop skip and a jump from the conspiracy articles that all mass murders are just actors to allow the new world order to take over.

That's sort of the anti-Serial argument to begin with, right? Looking back at just about any event with the benefit of hindsight allows you to create doubt where none existed in the 1st place, and/or if it did, in context, wasn't as big of a deal as it now seems.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 19, 2015 -> 10:35 AM)
That's sort of the anti-Serial argument to begin with, right? Looking back at just about any event with the benefit of hindsight allows you to create doubt where none existed in the 1st place, and/or if it did, in context, wasn't as big of a deal as it now seems.

Eh, I worked on the innocence project for a while going through lots of briefs. None were as interesting as this case.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Apparently it's based on ineffective assistance of counsel because she didn't cross examine the prosecution expert on the cell phone data.... I kinda have a problem with that. The jury found an eye witness, Jay, credible. A judge 15 years later shouldn't be overturning that.