Sox Actively Shopping Viciedo

Heads22

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 18, 2014 -> 09:05 AM)
Just keep in mind Hahn and KW have been touting how happy they were all the pieces fell into place. They couldn't bank on that.

Right. Imagine this roster without Melky Cabrera AND Viciedo. That's a roster that has Jordan Danks, JB Shuck or some other minor leaguer getting significant playing time as a starter in LF. That does not sound like a good time.

QUOTE (glangon @ Dec 18, 2014 -> 09:11 AM)
If I remember correctly, wasn't tank originally a 3rd baseman.

If we are retaining his services and don't need him for the outfield. Is it worth using Spring Training to hone his 3B skills?

That way he could spot Gillaspie againt lefties and be a bench option to come in late.

Viciedo will never play 3B again. He was awful over there.

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 18, 2014 -> 10:17 AM)
Right. Imagine this roster without Melky Cabrera AND Viciedo. That's a roster that has Jordan Danks, JB Shuck or some other minor leaguer getting significant playing time as a starter in LF. That does not sound like a good time.

Imagine this roster without Melky Cabrera and with Viciedo. It's pretty much equally bad but with a tad bit more money. Maybe worse, far more circus music to be played in the background on average fly balls.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 18, 2014 -> 09:23 AM)
Imagine this roster without Melky Cabrera and with Viciedo. It's pretty much equally bad but with a tad bit more money. Maybe worse, far more circus music to be played in the background on average fly balls.

Then I think you are one of the few people on this board who would have rather started Jordan Danks or JB Shuck in LF over a guy in Dayan Viciedo who clearly shows talent and has a bat that can carry and offense if or when he figures it out.

He probably ends up like Wily Mo Pena or Wladimir Balentien and starts crushing the ball overseas, but I'd much rather take my chance on a guy who could become a big time hitter than on a couple of guys who never will be.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 18, 2014 -> 09:28 AM)
Then I think you are one of the few people on this board who would have rather started Jordan Danks or JB Shuck in LF over a guy in Dayan Viciedo who clearly shows talent and has a bat that can carry and offense if or when he figures it out.

He probably ends up like Wily Mo Pena or Wladimir Balentien and starts crushing the ball overseas, but I'd much rather take my chance on a guy who could become a big time hitter than on a couple of guys who never will be.

I honestly wonder if the defensive improvement of a guy like Jordan Danks, would outweigh the black hole of Dayan Viciedo defensively, versus what they would produce with the bat. With Danks you would get lightyears a better defender, and a much better baserunner. Viciedo you would get much better power numbers. Both would strike out around the same number of times, so that is a wash. Over a full season, which is better? I guess it depends on the players around him. This year I honestly the think with the improved offense, Danks would be better for the pitching staff, and with the improved offense, it would be easier to hide his bat.

I honestly wonder if the defensive improvement of a guy like Jordan Danks, would outweigh the black hole of Dayan Viciedo defensively, versus what they would produce with the bat. With Danks you would get lightyears a better defender, and a much better baserunner. Viciedo you would get much better power numbers. Both would strike out around the same number of times, so that is a wash. Over a full season, which is better? I guess it depends on the players around him. This year I honestly the think with the improved offense, Danks would be better for the pitching staff, and with the improved offense, it would be easier to hide his bat.

Given the expectation that the 3 starting outfielders will pretty much be everyday starters, Danks makes much more sense for the role of 4th OF than Viciedo, especially given the salary difference. Now, if you have a crystal ball and know in advance that Melky or Avi are going to require significant DL time, then I'd rather have Viciedo out there starting 15+ games. Of course, if Eaton is the one who ends up with the DL time, you're much better off having Danks than Viciedo.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 18, 2014 -> 10:23 AM)

What? How? How is Melky not a SUBTSTANTIAL offensive upgrade over Viciedo? How is Viciedo any better defensively?

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 18, 2014 -> 10:30 AM)
That's not what he wrote. He said the roster without Melky and Viciedo is equally bad.

I'm not in Balta's head, but here's the flow of the conversation:

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 18, 2014 -> 09:17 AM)

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 18, 2014 -> 09:23 AM)

The bolded wasn't actually in Balta's post but it's kind of an implied phrase. I initially read it the way you guys did but then thought there's no way anybody could think Melky is not better than Viciedo.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Dec 18, 2014 -> 04:41 PM)

The bolded wasn't actually in Balta's post but it's kind of an implied phrase. I initially read it the way you guys did but then thought there's no way anybody could think Melky is not better than Viciedo.

Gotcha. Let's let this develop though. There really just is not that much risk here to get upset about.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 18, 2014 -> 10:28 AM)

If for some reason it was government mandated that either Viciedo or Danks start, I would rather start Danks. Viciedo has to be one of the league's best hitters in order to be worthwhile if he is also butchering flyballs in the outfield. His floor is incredibly low (see last year) and he manages to keep lowering it.

The point is moot. The situation never would never have happened.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Dec 18, 2014 -> 11:41 AM)

Ok, I see. Yeah I read that totally wrong.