2015 Recruiting thread

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 11, 2015 -> 01:56 PM)
That would give them Tyus Jones and Tyus Battle.

Can't beat a team with Tyus Squared. But is Tyus Jones going pro already?

Tyus Jones already declared, hence Duke scrambling for a PG this offseason.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 21, 2015 -> 09:42 AM)
Well f***. Not getting a PG is going to destroy the Groce era at Illinois.

Withholding comment on this one until we see if Lovett actually qualifies next year. If he can't get eligible through the Clearinghouse, then no loss.

Hopefully one of the PGs Groce is after in '16 pull the trigger quickly. A healthy Abrams is fine this year.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ May 21, 2015 -> 10:52 AM)
Withholding comment on this one until we see if Lovett actually qualifies next year. If he can't get eligible through the Clearinghouse, then no loss.

Hopefully one of the PGs Groce is after in '16 pull the trigger quickly. A healthy Abrams is fine this year.

And Tate as his backup is also fine this year. Next year is definitely the issue.

Still have high hopes for a better year this year.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 25, 2015 -> 04:17 PM)
OSU, MSU, and Michigan now all have top 10 recruiting classes. This is kinda fun. Wish Michigan would be able to compete this year on the field though.

Yeah, sheer numbers are skewing that ranking quite a bit. Michigan is going to have to drop some of those 2 star and lower ranked guys if they want a top 15 class.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 26, 2015 -> 06:14 AM)
Rivals has Michigan at 6, 247 has them at 7. Can't find anything on scout that is free. Recruiting guys on twitter say Michigan is on a roll.

That's all I can go off of.

It's simple math. Their avg star ranking is 25th in the country with about 6 ships left. He needs to cut or they will end up outside of the top ten for sure and maybe lower. And that includes getting Gary.

• 4 weeks later...
QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 26, 2015 -> 06:42 AM)
It's simple math. Their avg star ranking is 25th in the country with about 6 ships left. He needs to cut or they will end up outside of the top ten for sure and maybe lower. And that includes getting Gary.

Did you know that the star ratings in HS really have little to do with guys projecting talent, it is based off whom the player is being recruited.

If a guy finished his HS career and was recruited by division II schools he could be a 1 or 2 star guy. If suddenly Ohio State, and a few other big schools decided he might fit in pretty well with the extra scholarship they had in their pocket, he becomes a 3 or 3.5 guy. I don't think one school can make much difference, but a few can.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 12:50 PM)
Did you know that the star ratings in HS really have little to do with guys projecting talent, it is based off whom the player is being recruited.

If a guy finished his HS career and was recruited by division II schools he could be a 1 or 2 star guy. If suddenly Ohio State, and a few other big schools decided he might fit in pretty well with the extra scholarship they had in their pocket, he becomes a 3 or 3.5 guy. I don't think one school can make much difference, but a few can.

I didnt know because thats not entirely true. Star rankings come out as soon as freshman year in HS.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 06:12 PM)
I can't find it, but Tom Lemming, a guy I thought evaluated was quoted on it.

Ask anyone on the national scout team. Lemming blows. They evaluate based on tape and in person by committee.

• 2 weeks later...

Grant Gelon from Crown Point IN has been offered and accepted by IU. CP plays in the same conference as my home town school, so I see this kid 2 to 3 times a year. Honestly, I am kind of surprised. Unless he got a LOT better on the summer circuit, I don't see him as a big time player.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 12, 2015 -> 07:04 PM)
Grant Gelon from Crown Point IN has been offered and accepted by IU. CP plays in the same conference as my home town school, so I see this kid 2 to 3 times a year. Honestly, I am kind of surprised. Unless he got a LOT better on the summer circuit, I don't see him as a big time player.

Sounds like he only had mid-major offers, until today.