Vaccinations

bmags

QUOTE (raBBit @ Feb 2, 2015 -> 07:42 AM)
Jenny McCarthy had an autistic son and instead of embracing his condition she claims it happened because of a vaccine and went on a media campaign to make people not vaccinate.

I believe McCarthy has finally apologized / realized that the connection does not exist. I might be mistaken on this, however, you are right that if you were going to point the movement of the cause to any one person, it would be Jenny McCarthy.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 2, 2015 -> 08:47 AM)
But that's not an extreme example! In that NYT article there are schools in California with about that ratio of unvaccinated.

And I understand "punishing the kids", but it's not like they just can't get a vaccine for the rest of their lives.

I know of schools in my county where the rates are at and below 50%. I am an ahole and I make comments to people I know that have this belief and tell them to do some homework so they can educate themselves instead of abusing their kids. Scary what decisions people will make because other mom's / parents are doing it or they hear so and so celebrity doing it. Especially in the affluent sector.

You want to know where the best vacinnation rates are in my county, the more diverse (wealthy or poor) parts of the county. This is basically an affluent white people problem (by my mass generalization).

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 2, 2015 -> 10:48 AM)
It does suck that the kids have to suffer for the parents' stupidity, but that's on the parents.

So when a kid gets deported back to Mexico because his parents brought him here illegally, that sucks the kids have to suffer for the parents illegality, but that's on the parents. Right?

I'm hoping that public shame works, because logically these people are on conspiracy level where any small detail is revelatory and overwhelming research is flawed because of "big pharm" who make tons of money on vaccines!

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 2, 2015 -> 10:54 AM)
I believe McCarthy has finally apologized / realized that the connection does not exist. I might be mistaken on this, however, you are right that if you were going to point the movement of the cause to any one person, it would be Jenny McCarthy.

I think the only thing she ever retracted was that her son doesnt have Autism anymore. She tried to walk back her anti vax sentiments, but turned it into "well I just want people to be educated on what chemicals they are putting into their kids" as if they are being injected with autism causing ebola on purpose

Yeah, in fact the worst part about this is that it's mutated from the autism link to straight up efficacy of vaccines and anecdotal claims you can stay healthy without them by leading an organic lifestyle. It's...rich.

This sort of idiocy combined with selfishness drives me nuts. I have no problem with keeping kids out of the schools my kids go to that are not properly vaccinated, unless they have an actual medical condition preventing it. Don't want to vaccinate your kids? OK, go pay for some obscure private school some distance away that will allow for that. Can't afford it? Guess you're in for some home-schooling. Not willing to do that work? Here comes the truancy officer.

I know it's harsh and meanwhile some kids will be puppets to it, but in the long run, society is far better off.

Do most public schools not have rules about vaccinations? I know in Indiana, you can't enroll your kids if they aren't up to date on their shots. Even at the high school, they sent a bunch of kids home last year who they found hadn't gotten their shots they were supposed to have by a certain age once they missed a deadline. They wouldn't let them come back until they had all of their shots.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 2, 2015 -> 07:50 PM)
Do most public schools not have rules about vaccinations? I know in Indiana, you can't enroll your kids if they aren't up to date on their shots. Even at the high school, they sent a bunch of kids home last year who they found hadn't gotten their shots they were supposed to have by a certain age once they missed a deadline. They wouldn't let them come back until they had all of their shots.

Some states have policies that allow a waiver.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 2, 2015 -> 12:50 PM)

Here's the policy from the elementary school my older kids is at:

Physical Examination & Immunizations:

Required before Kindergarten or upon first entry into an Illinois school, and upon entering 6th and 9th grades. The physical exam must be completed within one year prior to the first day of school and should be filed with the school nurse by July 30th. Required immunizations include diphtheria, pertussis, tetanus, poliomyelitis, measles, rubella, mumps, hepatitis B and varicella.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Feb 2, 2015 -> 12:52 PM)
Some states have policies that allow a waiver.

That's the part where I am unclear. They must have some allowance for waivers, because some kids do have real maladies that make SOME vaccinations dangerous. But I don't know what the waiver policy is. I'm tempted to email the school and ask.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 2, 2015 -> 07:56 PM)
That's the part where I am unclear. They must have some allowance for waivers, because some kids do have real maladies that make SOME vaccinations dangerous. But I don't know what the waiver policy is. I'm tempted to email the school and ask.

No, I'm not even talking about medical exemptions. There are exemptions for personal belief.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/health/school...state-laws.aspx

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 2, 2015 -> 12:56 PM)
Here's the policy from the elementary school my older kids is at:

Physical Examination & Immunizations:

Required before Kindergarten or upon first entry into an Illinois school, and upon entering 6th and 9th grades. The physical exam must be completed within one year prior to the first day of school and should be filed with the school nurse by July 30th. Required immunizations include diphtheria, pertussis, tetanus, poliomyelitis, measles, rubella, mumps, hepatitis B and varicella.

I agree, this must be where the issues lie. I also remember getting sent home for a half day because we missed the third shot of something in High School. So there must be waivers being granted.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Feb 2, 2015 -> 01:00 PM)
No, I'm not even talking about medical exemptions. There are exemptions for personal belief.

The pertinent ILCS section...

Parents or legal guardians who object to health, dental, or eye examinations or any part thereof, or to immunizations, on religious grounds shall not be required to submit their children or wards to the examinations or immunizations to which they so object if such parents or legal guardians present to the appropriate local school authority a signed statement of objection, detailing the grounds for the objection. If the physical condition of the child is such that any one or more of the immunizing agents should not be administered, the examining physician, advanced practice nurse, or physician assistant responsible for the performance of the health examination shall endorse that fact upon the health examination form.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 2, 2015 -> 11:06 AM)
I'm pretty sure undocumented status isn't contagious.

However, if the disease was pretty much eradicated in the US it had to come from somewhere, not saying it had t be undocumented people but that is more likely.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Feb 2, 2015 -> 11:00 AM)

I think it is approximately 20 states in the union allow exemptions for personal belief. California is certainly one of them as are plenty of other states.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 2, 2015 -> 01:19 PM)
So IL's exemptions are medical necessity (which I think we're all OK with), or religious. To me, any objection based on religion or philosophy just doesn't fly when you choose to endanger the public health.

The shame is the people with a medical necessity and cannot be immunized are no longer protected by the herd :(

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 2, 2015 -> 01:18 PM)
However, if the disease was pretty much eradicated in the US it had to come from somewhere, not saying it had t be undocumented people but that is more likely.

I've already posted the immunization rates for measles from prominent immigration flowing countries of central america/mexico. They are in the high nineties.

This is the 21st century guys, millions from all over are going to pass through the United States.

It seems like Christie is hedging in order to clarify that he's not talking about Measles, he's talking about the terrible HPV vaccine, which is fighting back God's decision to punish women for being women. /sarcasm