2015-16 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 07:32 PM)
Literally zero chance that happens IMO. I personally think Ohio State even though they are my team will lose

Alabama, Ohio State and Clemson will win out. The only team who may lose is ND. If ND is ahead of OSU and Baylor now, they will stay that way especially if they beat Stanford. OSU ending with wins vs Oklahoma and Baylor won't raise their SOS enough and same goes for Baylor if they beat OSU, TCU and Oklahoma.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 07:42 PM)
No use trying to figure it out. Stanford moved up for beating Colorado. There is no Method until the cards are all on the table.

Stanford didn't move up so much as LSU, MSU, and TCU fell. If those teams had won Stanford would still be behind them.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Nov 11, 2015 -> 09:18 AM)
Alabama, Ohio State and Clemson will win out. The only team who may lose is ND. If ND is ahead of OSU and Baylor now, they will stay that way especially if they beat Stanford. OSU ending with wins vs Oklahoma and Baylor won't raise their SOS enough and same goes for Baylor if they beat OSU, TCU and Oklahoma.

Not sure why you think Baylor beating OSU, TCU, and Oklahoma wouldn't propel them past a 1-loss ND. It's pretty clear that Baylor is at #6 right now only because they haven't even played a team with a winning record yet. Things will change fast in the next few weeks if they beat those three teams.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Nov 11, 2015 -> 09:25 AM)
Not sure why you think Baylor beating OSU, TCU, and Oklahoma wouldn't propel them past a 1-loss ND. It's pretty clear that Baylor is at #6 right now only because they haven't even played a team with a winning record yet. Things will change fast in the next few weeks if they beat those three teams.

ND is going to fall out due to not having a conference title if all things line up and the uproar is going to be tremendous.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 06:38 PM)
These rankings are insane. It's the year of a good lose being more valuable than a bad win. If the committee gives Stanford credit for losing an early start time, why is that game even played so early?

What's so insane about them, is it because there are 1-loss teams ahead of undefeated teams? If people can accept 1 or 2 loss teams being ahead of Houston, then the same logic can apply to the others. Also, the committee is trying to rank the best teams, not necessarily the most deserving. I think they're trying to do a combination of both. It's hard to get a read on the Big 12 teams right now, especially Baylor. This will all work itself out though.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 11, 2015 -> 09:32 AM)
ND is going to fall out due to not having a conference title if all things line up and the uproar is going to be tremendous.

This is why I really want ND to join a conference. Not having that extra game against a quality team means you're facing an uphill battle every year.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Nov 11, 2015 -> 04:35 PM)
What's so insane about them, is it because there are 1-loss teams ahead of undefeated teams? If people can accept 1 or 2 loss teams being ahead of Houston, then the same logic can apply to the others. Also, the committee is trying to rank the best teams, not necessarily the most deserving. I think they're trying to do a combination of both. It's hard to get a read on the Big 12 teams right now, especially Baylor. This will all work itself out though.

Not quite sure why Stanford jumped up so much, and I hate seeing Florida lose a spot after a win while FSU stays the same after a loss.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 11, 2015 -> 11:09 AM)
Not quite sure why Stanford jumped up so much, and I hate seeing Florida lose a spot after a win while FSU stays the same after a loss.

Florida needed a FG late in the 4th to beat Vandy at home. If it was a 23-21 type game then I may see your point but not when the final was 9-7.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Nov 11, 2015 -> 04:20 PM)
Florida needed a FG late in the 4th to beat Vandy at home. If it was a 23-21 type game then I may see your point but not when the final was 9-7.

It just seems like some teams are being given the benefit of the doubt with close wins and others are being punished for it. I said the same thing last week, but looking bad and winning should hold more value than looking good and losing. Then when you do lose after looking bad in some wins (ie: Michigan St), that's when you should plummet in the polls. LSU dropping 7 spots just cause they lost at Bama seems extreme as well.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 11, 2015 -> 10:09 AM)

Stanford moved up because 3 teams ahead of them lost, and looked bad in doing so. The only team they really passed was Florida, and it's not hard to see the logic, Stanford looked dominant against a weak opponent while Florida was lucky to escape a crappy team at home (if Vanderbilt doesn't pull a Jacksonville State with that punt I think they win). This isn't the first or second or even third time Florida has struggled mightily against poor teams, so I'm fine with where they are.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Nov 11, 2015 -> 05:26 PM)
Stanford moved up because 3 teams ahead of them lost, and looked bad in doing so. The only team they really passed was Florida, and it's not hard to see the logic, Stanford looked dominant against a weak opponent while Florida was lucky to escape a crappy team at home (if Vanderbilt doesn't pull a Jacksonville State with that punt I think they win). This isn't the first or second or even third time Florida has struggled mightily against poor teams, so I'm fine with where they are.

The time zone excuse for justifying Stanford's lost is comical. To me, it seems like they just want to set up the "quarterfinal" game with ND/Stanford.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 11, 2015 -> 10:32 AM)
The time zone excuse for justifying Stanford's lost is comical. To me, it seems like they just want to set up the "quarterfinal" game with ND/Stanford.

I'm not using the time zone excuse, and it's not like @NW is a bad loss anyway. But I think Stanford would beat Florida on a neutral field. Florida is lucky they don't have 3 or 4 losses.

Edited by OmarComing25

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 11, 2015 -> 10:32 AM)

Ok State won't make it either then, because the Big 12 doesn't have a title game anymore.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 11, 2015 -> 11:09 AM)

Florida looked like trash against a terrible team at home, while FSU looked pretty good against the #1 team on the road. Florida should have dropped more IMO

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 11, 2015 -> 11:36 AM)
What's the difference?

Well for starters the offense would resemble something halfway decent at times if they were to muster more than two scores. At no point did Florida look like a team that was any good on Saturday.

Not all two or "X" point outcomes should be viewed as equal.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Nov 11, 2015 -> 01:10 PM)
Florida looked like trash against a terrible team at home, while FSU looked pretty good against the #1 team on the road. Florida should have dropped more IMO

FSU was possibly a 4th and 1 conversion away from a win. Cool gets the first down and who knows who wins that game.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 11, 2015 -> 03:43 PM)
I agree with that, but they still should be valued more than a close loss

If it was just a one time thing with Fla then I could agree. They needed a 4th and long and missed FG to beat Tennessee. Needed the ECU QB to drop the ball in the Redzone to win. Barely beat UK. Looked terrible against UGA. Luckily two of their TD drives were short fields and only needed 7 total yards to score 13 points.

They smoked Ole Miss but when it's all said and done, their best win might be against a team that loses 4 games.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 11, 2015 -> 02:43 PM)
I agree with that, but they still should be valued more than a close loss

Depends on who the close loss is to, and depends on who the close win is to. Is an overtime win against an FCS team really more valuable than an overtime loss to a top 4 ranked team (just a hypothetical example here)? I think most would disagree. Also, once again, this isn't the first close win Florida has had against bad teams. There's also Kentucky and ECU.

Edited by OmarComing25

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Nov 11, 2015 -> 08:54 PM)
Depends on who the close loss is to, and depends on who the close win is to. Is an overtime win against an FCS team really more valuable than an overtime loss to a top 4 ranked team (just a hypothetical example here)? I think most would disagree. Also, once again, this isn't the first close win Florida has had against bad teams. There's also Kentucky and ECU.

To me, yes any win should be viewed better than any loss. As I said before, if a team is barely winning and then loses a game it shouldn't have, then you can punish them for not being impressive during the year.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 11, 2015 -> 02:59 PM)
To me, yes any win should be viewed better than any loss. As I said before, if a team is barely winning and then loses a game it shouldn't have, then you can punish them for not being impressive during the year.

So where do you think Houston should be ranked? If any win is better than any loss, then why schedule any tough OOC games?