Brandon Beachy

WKamm

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 06:06 PM)
What? In 1996 offseason the Sox gave out the richest contract in Major League history to the number one bat on the market in Albert Belle so how can you say they didn't invest. They also gave out a fairly large contract to Jaime Navarro that same offseason. To say they wouldn't invest to fill their needs is just flat out wrong.

and at the same time not getting 1 more sp.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LDF @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 11:02 AM)
it is absolutely absurd to keep putting words in my mouth, i have never said spend 190. better yet, show me and others where i stated this..... come on, you are very quick to pass this judgement with a huge exaggeration, or will you disappear for a while knowing you were wrong??

you arent saying it explicitly, but you are hinting pretty strongly at it

QUOTE (LDF @ Feb 22, 2015 -> 09:19 PM)
and this offseason, the fans finally found out how much money JR and owners have to bank. the tv money imcome alone is 190 + mil a yr. the salary of the sox is 120+ mil a net profit of 60+ mil and the income from the fans, concessions, commercial leasing etc.... adds to that profit margin.

QUOTE (LDF @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 11:09 AM)
then read my post.

I have been. That's why I'm replying and stating that your belief that Reinsdorf is cheap is ridiculous.

He's also not the sole owner but instead the chairman for the board and they all make collective decisions.

QUOTE (LDF @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 11:06 AM)
therein is the crux of this discussion, they are not loosing money their only income with the TV deal coming into the equation. they, the owners should expect a profit, but don't pretend to really field a team to win.

There is a lot more than goes into a team than just the team payroll.

They did lose money last year (the 2013 season). The numbers aren't in yet for this year (2014 season).

As a franchise they are estimated to have made $210 million in revenues, and lost $2.7 million while doing it. That means the team spent somewhere around $213 million in total expenditures, with a payroll that was just under $119 million. This includes all of the TV money, and everything else.

http://www.forbes.com/teams/chicago-white-sox/

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 06:05 PM)
What move would they have made that would take them from pretender to contender that would have been a justifiable long-term cost? Paying Max Scherzer $15 million each year for the next 14 years? Bringing in James Shields for $19 million a year when there's no guarantee that his acquisition promises a division title and immediately kills any chance that Samardzija is re-signed?

Fiscal responsibility is a good thing too.

i am on the bandwagon of the sox making the playoff, this team has that possibility and yes it has holes. i just don't trust the sp to go the whole season, esp with rookies in the backend. the innings that will be thrown is going to be alot, these pitchers hasn't thrown that much. the sox need 1 more sp to help, even if it a 1 yr and walk kind of pitcher. the minors, after this season may be ready to help, but i rather it not be this yr as a gamble. this is a great team that Hahn has assembled.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 06:12 PM)
There is a lot more than goes into a team than just the team payroll.

They did lose money last year (the 2013 season). The numbers aren't in yet for this year (2014 season).

As a franchise they are estimated to have made $210 million in revenues, and lost $2.7 million while doing it. That means the team spent somewhere around $213 million in total expenditures, with a payroll that was just under $119 million. This includes all of the TV money, and everything else.

http://www.forbes.com/teams/chicago-white-sox/

forbe is covering the income / lost according to the main sox banner. the main company. the sox have many sub companies that they have establish.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 06:11 PM)
I have been. That's why I'm replying and stating that your belief that Reinsdorf is cheap is ridiculous.

He's also not the sole owner but instead the chairman for the board and they all make collective decisions.

and when i am talking about the sox owners, i mention and write sox owners or FO. i do not lay this on JR lap. read some of my other post.

QUOTE (LDF @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 11:14 AM)
i am on the bandwagon of the sox making the playoff, this team has that possibility and yes it has holes. i just don't trust the sp to go the whole season, esp with rookies in the backend. the innings that will be thrown is going to be alot, these pitchers hasn't thrown that much. the sox need 1 more sp to help, even if it a 1 yr and walk kind of pitcher. the minors, after this season may be ready to help, but i rather it not be this yr as a gamble. this is a great team that Hahn has assembled.

OK, then which one would you have preferred they signed? Brandon Beachy? Jesse Crain has thrown more innings than Brandon Beachy has the last two years.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 06:18 PM)
OK, then which one would you have preferred they signed? Brandon Beachy? Jesse Crain has thrown more innings than Brandon Beachy has the last two years.

as i said in my org post, this was the straw that broke the camel's back. it is out of frustration that i am using this thread and stated it so.

QUOTE (LDF @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 11:23 AM)
anyone who could have been signed to a 1 yr contract.

Dustin McGowan

Brandon Beachy

Joe Saunders

Franklin Morales

Bruce Chen

Roberto Hernandez

Kyle Kendrick

Carlos Villanueva

Paul Maholm

Felipe Paulino

Scott Baker

Ryan Vogelsong

Erik Bedard

Wandy Rodriguez

Charlie Leesman

Aaron Harang

Brett Anderson

Kevin Slowey

Chris Capuano

Gavin Floyd

Colby Lewis

Brandon Morrow

Sean O'Sullivan

Yohan Pino

Radhames Liz

Justin Masterson

Jason Lane

Blake Beaven

Rudy Owens

Jair Jurrjens

Brad Mills

Those are all the pitchers who signed one year contracts of some sort with teams other than the White Sox. The White Sox themselves brought back Scott Carroll and also brought in Brad Penny.

Who is the difference maker in that group of pitchers?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 10:54 AM)
The team actually lost money last year.

Source. JR said they were turning a profit. As for 2013, Forbes said they lost money, but I read where they included Abreu's signing bonus after the season into their figures.

It's been a very profitable team over the years if Forbes is to believed. Their current spending suggests they don't "just get by".

That said, I still don't understand how someone could be the slightest bit upset and play the cheap card over Brandon Beachy.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 06:31 PM)
Dustin McGowan

Brandon Beachy

Joe Saunders

Franklin Morales

Bruce Chen

Roberto Hernandez

Kyle Kendrick

Carlos Villanueva

Paul Maholm

Felipe Paulino

Scott Baker

Ryan Vogelsong

Erik Bedard

Wandy Rodriguez

Charlie Leesman

Aaron Harang

Brett Anderson

Kevin Slowey

Chris Capuano

Gavin Floyd

Colby Lewis

Brandon Morrow

Sean O'Sullivan

Yohan Pino

Radhames Liz

Justin Masterson

Jason Lane

Blake Beaven

Rudy Owens

Jair Jurrjens

Brad Mills

Those are all the pitchers who signed one year contracts of some sort with teams other than the White Sox. The White Sox themselves brought back Scott Carroll and also brought in Brad Penny.

Who is the difference maker in that group of pitchers?

i believe you are missing Edinson Vólquez -sp. but the point i have always said, get another sp who is quality, who is experience, to help eat innings. to help protect the sox top 3 sp's. and if needed to step in, in case of injury.

the sox top 3 sp's and the lineup is tough, bring in Rodon who will be developing and the pen will be 1 tough sob group to beat.

1 yr contract, when jeff s goes, and this other pitcher, the sox have rodon stepping in and then the other prospects the sox have deverloping.

QUOTE (LDF @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 12:38 PM)
i believe you are missing Edinson Vólquez -sp. but the point i have always said, get another sp who is quality, who is experience, to help eat innings. to help protect the sox top 3 sp's. and if needed to step in, in case of injury.

the sox top 3 sp's and the lineup is tough, bring in Rodon who will be developing and the pen will be 1 tough sob group to beat.

1 yr contract, when jeff s goes, and this other pitcher, the sox have rodon stepping in and then the other prospects the sox have deverloping.

Volquez signed 2/20 or something.

QUOTE (LDF @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 11:38 AM)

Edinson Volquez signed a 2 year, $20 million deal with the Royals.

QUOTE (LDF @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 11:22 AM)
if this disturbs you as you are implying, why then do you post???

there are many other threads to go to.

who said i am disturbed? Confused, yes. But not disturbed

You are talking in circles here man, you are mad at JR for something that happened between 15 and 25 years ago, it has nothing to do with the current team, your expectations of how the money should be spent and how much is available to spend are unrealistic. I dont know what to say, there is a lot going on in the last 5 pages or so

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 06:39 PM)
who said i am disturbed? Confused, yes. But not disturbed

You are talking in circles here man, you are mad at JR for something that happened between 15 and 25 years ago, it has nothing to do with the current team, your expectations of how the money should be spent and how much is available to spend are unrealistic. I dont know what to say, there is a lot going on in the last 5 pages or so

i can't help it, i hold grudges.... look it at it this way. i am still mad at Geronimo signing the treaty as a pow. that is why we get no benefits.