Brandon Beachy

WKamm

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 04:51 PM)
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/02/d-ba...n-contract.html

Diamondbacks the latest to sign a bigger tv deal...putting them in the low $90's just for their regional sports network

Based on this number, the Mariners' new deal (started in 2014)...and where the D-Backs franchise is at the moment, the White Sox have to be shooting for $140-180 million per season in 2019, not taking into consideration their revenues from the national baseball contract as well as MLB Media.

the increased revenue won’t vault the D-Backs into the division-rival Dodgers’ financial stratosphere. The Dodgers’ TV deal averages out to roughly $334MM annually, according to a Forbes report from March 2014, trailing only the Yankees, whose annual revenue from the YES Network averages out to about $385MM.

Recent examples of this type of mega-contract include the Rangers, Mariners and Phillies, each of whom have AAVs in excess of $140MM, per Forbes. Piecoro notes that since the Rangers signed their 20-year, $1.7 billion deal in 2010, nearly a third of the teams in the league have inked similar contracts. Per Forbes, the previous top 10 television revenues belonged to the Yankees, Dodgers, Phillies (20 years, $2.5 billion), Rangers, Angels, Mariners, Mets, Red Sox, Giants and Padres.

with all this money being mention, doesn't it seems as the sox should be getting more??

when i first read about the money, i was trying to figure out why so wasn't it more money. the northsiders are sharing the csn network with the sox. what other regional pro baseball will compete???

the $$$$ doesn't add up.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LDF @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 02:51 PM)
with all this money being mention, doesn't it seems as the sox should be getting more??

when i first read about the money, i was trying to figure out why so wasn't it more money. the northsiders are sharing the csn network with the sox. what other regional pro baseball will compete???

the $$$$ doesn't add up.

Because all of those teams are getting NEW regional contracts or starting their own networks. It's all about timing.

The White Sox and Cubs don't have that opportunity for another four years. Just "bad luck" to be on the back end of this trend for both teams, actually. Not that anyone's going to feel too sorry for the Ricketts family.

http://www.sfgate.com/giants/article/Giant...ing-6097453.php

Since this is sort of the de-facto "financial issues of MLB/Sox" thread,

Why the SF Giants don't want to overspend...(they're currently at $164 million with the luxury mark at $187 but with $400 million committed to Posey/Cain/Pence)

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 27, 2015 -> 06:55 AM)
http://www.sfgate.com/giants/article/Giant...ing-6097453.php

Since this is sort of the de-facto "financial issues of MLB/Sox" thread,

Why the SF Giants don't want to overspend...(they're currently at $164 million with the luxury mark at $187 but with $400 million committed to Posey/Cain/Pence)

if i read this right, SF Gaints has future contracts on their books in the care of Posey/Cain/Pence. now the real question i can think of is, how many times in the future can they make the playoff and are the fans really excited about their success to date. meaning attendance, and all that comes from it.

their owners what to be able to banks some of that money and reel in the rest for a nice hefty profit. however the bottom line is they have won the World Series how many times in the past, let say 10 yrs??

QUOTE (LDF @ Feb 27, 2015 -> 06:37 AM)
if i read this right, SF Gaints has future contracts on their books in the care of Posey/Cain/Pence. now the real question i can think of is, how many times in the future can they make the playoff and are the fans really excited about their success to date. meaning attendance, and all that comes from it.

their owners what to be able to banks some of that money and reel in the rest for a nice hefty profit. however the bottom line is they have won the World Series how many times in the past, let say 10 yrs??

They have won 3 World Series in 5 years, of course they are excited. Going by ESPN's attendance tracker, they have been at 99.2% capacity or higher every season from 2011-2014.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 27, 2015 -> 03:19 PM)
They have won 3 World Series in 5 years, of course they are excited. Going by ESPN's attendance tracker, they have been at 99.2% capacity or higher every season from 2011-2014.

and in this situation, continuing to spend, while not a lot of money on salary, compared to what the dodgers or red sox or the yanks (90's). the money spent is worth it. they are still banking a huge profit.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (LDF @ Feb 27, 2015 -> 08:46 AM)
and in this situation, continuing to spend, while not a lot of money on salary, compared to what the dodgers or red sox or the yanks (90's). the money spent is worth it. they are still banking a huge profit.

Those teams spend because of their media opportunities that the Giants simply don't have regardless of how much they win.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 27, 2015 -> 09:19 AM)

At that capacity if they needed to they could also likely make more money by raising prices and winding up at 95% capacity, but franchises also appreciate the value of a packed ballpark every night for playing the political game - keeping local businesses happy, keeping lots of vendors employed every night, keeping the local politicians on their side for when issues like new ballparks do come up, keeping a waitlist for season tickets so that when they have a down stretch they don't have to seriously cut back.

I don't understand what you're implying here.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 27, 2015 -> 03:49 PM)
Those teams spend because of their media opportunities that the Giants simply don't have regardless of how much they win.

but they are being smart on their spending.

coming out of nl west, who do you think it will be??

QUOTE (LDF @ Feb 27, 2015 -> 08:55 AM)
but they are being smart on their spending.

coming out of nl west, who do you think it will be??

Who is being smart with their spending? Of the teams mentioned recently within this thread, I'd say the Yankees have been the most diligent, which is awfully strange to say, and they are only being diligent because they have a ton of other bad contracts still on the books.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 27, 2015 -> 04:01 PM)
Who is being smart with their spending? Of the teams mentioned recently within this thread, I'd say the Yankees have been the most diligent, which is awfully strange to say, and they are only being diligent because they have a ton of other bad contracts still on the books.

yeah you are right, that is why i mention the yanks of the 90's, b/c they spent and spent to get a team they hope will win it all.

you are right about the yanks not spending. i was surprise this offseason, refraining to spurge.

but i was mentioning SF gaints being smart and not to drive into and spend on salary.

In 2013 the Giants brought in over $100 million more dollars in revenue than the White Sox did, at $316 million.

http://www.forbes.com/teams/san-francisco-giants/

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 27, 2015 -> 10:17 AM)
In 2013 the Giants brought in over $100 million more dollars in revenue than the White Sox did, at $316 million.

The Giants have a TV deal that adjusts to total revenue - they're not locked into a yearly payment, they get something like 33% of the total TV revenues for their games. That means if they have a lot of viewers, it translates immediately to revenue the next year, they don't have to wait until their contract renews.

That also creates a big incentive for them to win- if they're not winning and people aren't watching, their revenues would plummet. They might really struggle with that deal if they tried to do a Cubs style rebuilding or had Astros level "1000 people total watching" games.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 27, 2015 -> 04:17 PM)

but the team makeup did not entice the fans. spending money is one thing, spending money with a good person at the helm who can direct the team in another.

the fans needs to believe in the team. the fans needs to have faith.

QUOTE (LDF @ Feb 27, 2015 -> 09:24 AM)
but the team makeup did not entice the fans. spending money is one thing, spending money with a good person at the helm who can direct the team in another.

the fans needs to believe in the team. the fans needs to have faith.

The team make up absolutely brought in fans. The make up is a team that had been to the world series in 2010 and 2012. Their payroll has pretty much doubled from 2009 to 2015.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 27, 2015 -> 03:33 PM)
The team make up absolutely brought in fans. The make up is a team that had been to the world series in 2010 and 2012. Their payroll has pretty much doubled from 2009 to 2015.

and of course that too.

QUOTE (LDF @ Feb 27, 2015 -> 09:08 AM)
yeah you are right, that is why i mention the yanks of the 90's, b/c they spent and spent to get a team they hope will win it all.

you are right about the yanks not spending. i was surprise this offseason, refraining to spurge.

but i was mentioning SF gaints being smart and not to drive into and spend on salary.

But they also developed from their farm system Jeter, Mariano Rivera, Jorge Posada, Bernie Williams, Andy Pettite...while they brought in some guys via trade and FA like Boone, O'Neill, Clemens, the heart of those teams were homegrown.

When the Yankees really spent like crazy was from the early 80's until the mid 90's, without a whole lot to show for it.

Don Mattingly, and that was about it.