Brandon Beachy

WKamm

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 09:21 AM)
He's not going to pitch for months, and there is a really high chance he will never be the same pitcher again. I'd hardly call that a great pick up. I'd call it a lottery ticket.

That was actually a question I had here. He has an MLB deal, does this only have implications in terms of dollar amount, or do you also have to keep them on the 40-man for the year?

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 09:25 AM)
That was actually a question I had here. He has an MLB deal, does this only have implications in terms of dollar amount, or do you also have to keep them on the 40-man for the year?

At the very least you would have to clear a 40 man roster spot for him until the 60 day DL opens up in the spring, when you could then put him there and open that spot back up again until he can get back to the majors.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 09:26 AM)
At the very least you would have to clear a 40 man roster spot for him until the 60 day DL opens up in the spring, when you could then put him there and open that spot back up again until he can get back to the majors.

According to Rotoworld, the Dodgers already placed him on the 60 Day DL

"Dodgers placed RHP Brandon Beachy on the 60-day disabled list with an elbow injury.

The move clears a 40-man roster spot for Dustin McGowan, who was signed to a one-year contract this weekend. Beachy is working his way back from a second Tommy John surgery and probably won't be an option for the Dodgers' rotation until early June."

QUOTE (LDF @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 07:03 AM)
i am going with the info that another poster posted about the tv deal via his post with a link.

there were 2 incomes from the tv deal, 1 was in the 130 mil and the 2 is in the 60 mil. i didn't understand it, but it was in the link. i believe it was caulfield12 who found the link.

I really want to see the source behind this. $190 million annual TV deal would put the per game revenue at ~$1.2 mil per game. Last I check, we are getting $650K per game from CSN televised game this year.

http://bizofbaseball.com/index.php?option=...&Itemid=203

This breaks down the numbers for the new national baseball contracts.

They essentially doubled from 2013, with all teams previously receiving $24 million bumping up to $50 million last season just from those three networks alone.

I would imagine the other $28 million has to be coming from MLB as a 1/30th share of all their various media properties like MLBTV, Gameday Audio, At-Bat, etc.

Angels. Rangers. Mariners. Cardinals. Somewhere in that zone is where the White Sox should be for their tv rights deal. At any rate, we shouldn't be looking up to the Tigers for too much longer.

This post has been edited by caulfield12: Jan 26, 2015 -> 05:50 PM

I'll quote my own post $65 million (Comcast/WGN/WCIU) + $50 million (ESPN/FOX/TBS, etc.) + $28 million (revenue shared from MLB Media)=$143 million

That $78 million is guaranteed to every team now....and the most lucrative deals are all well over $100 million per season for the regional sports networks (and then there are the Dodgers, Yankees, Red Sox, Rangers, etc.). I think the Mariners went to $118 per year with their new deal, so they started the 2014 season already $53 million ahead of the White Sox (hence, the Cano deal).

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 10:08 AM)
Brandon Beachy has pitched 111 innings since Ozzie Guillen was managing the White Sox, and has pitched 30 innings since Kevin Youkilis played 3B.

It is fascinating anyone really would think he is the answer.

He's talented, but I tend to agree. Perhaps his future is in the bullpen where he works shorter stints.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 02:30 PM)
being disappointed that the Sox didnt sign a player is a lot different from saying "The Sox will make 190 million dollars so they should spend it all, and Jerry is cheap/frugal because he didnt sign XXXXXXX player".

in actuality, this goes back to the 90's. then all was needed was a hitter or better yet, a sp. the FO didn't want to invest, b/c "they didn't have the income of teams that are investing". the sox could've had more than 1 ws ring, if they would have invested. those teams of the 90's were stacked.

the only thing that the owners do is put or invest enuf to field a team, to bring in the fans. this policy has cntinued and in 2005 was pure luck and all things going the sox way.

earlier in this off season, the FO said the budget it xx amount for the team, b/c of what the sox have avail thru their imcome. this is when i stated to spout out about there hidden salary.

how many posters have stated that the sox needed to continue?? to get additional player, even stating 1 yr and out kind of a player?? this whole post was in hopes to pick up beachly. how bout the other post lately of sox getting additional players. is some way, many feel the same way.

i have always stated that the owners should be able to make a profit, but at the same time state that they didn't have the income??? isn't that a blatant lie?? or if it is lost among those fans, how bout the FO statement that the fans needs to sign up in order for the sox to spend more, will anyone state that was an warm embrace of the faithful sox fans, to black mail them??

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 04:22 PM)
And fans respond to the fans talking... this isn't any different either.

and that is why i am saying it is all good, this is a great discussion, as i have stated already. this is what make being a fan great. esp the chi white sox fans who are really knowledgeable to the the whole game.

i sometimes feel that the owners really don't appreciated our faithfulness.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 03:17 PM)
You must have been watching a different team the last 10 years. I saw a franchise that was constantly at the top of the division in spending, yet consistently underachieved. Until the last two seasons, they were at a $100+ million payroll for seven straight seasons. I'd blame KW and Ozzie more than Jerry.

actually you are right, i have been really sick with major heart problems, to be exact, 5 heart attacks, 3 strokes, 18 stents and a left side damaged. so i did miss the 10 with the 2005 ws, with me being in the hospital getting my first attack.

i just stated being a fan this past yr. all of which i have stated this before.

but what a time to getting back into sox baseball when the sox got jose a and the rest of the players. what a team. this team can go down in history as being a great team, esp if they win the ws ring.

QUOTE (LDF @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 10:40 AM)
and that is why i am saying it is all good, this is a great discussion, as i have stated already. this is what make being a fan great. esp the chi white sox fans who are really knowledgeable to the the whole game.

i sometimes feel that the owners really don't appreciated our faithfulness.

Come on man, the reality is that this is a business. The owners aren't going to cash our "faithfulness" at the bank.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 03:41 PM)
The White Sox guaranteed the most years to players in terms of guaranteed contracts this offseason and spent the 4th most money. This "JR is cheap" bit you pull from time to time is ridiculous. The White Sox have spent a ton of money.

he spends enuf to get the fans but not enuf to win it all. look at bos, ladodger and many teams making the investment to win it or to put them in position to win it. all i have been saying this off season is to make that one more investment in pitching. not to go hog wild and to spend.

don't soft soap it as well by "we are going to get players in spring training" knowing full well it is minor leaguers who were not on the 40 man roster.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 10:51 AM)
Come on man, the reality is that this is a business. The owners aren't going to cash our "faithfulness" at the bank.

plus, that blade cuts both ways. The Sox have been spending, spending a considerable amount over the past decade, and the fans have not really broken the turnstiles.

You cant hold the 90s against JR and then pretend like the last decade didnt happen, especially after the past offseason. Its like saying "Oh yea they spent a crazy amount of money, but still not enough because you make a lot of money"

QUOTE (LDF @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 10:52 AM)
he spends enuf to get the fans but not enuf to win it all. look at bos, ladodger and many teams making the investment to win it or to put them in position to win it. all i have been saying this off season is to make that one more investment in pitching. not to go hog wild and to spend.

don't soft soap it as well by "we are going to get players in spring training" knowing full well it is minor leaguers who were not on the 40 man roster.

i dont know what soft soap means and i dont think i want to know, but the Dodgers have spent an insane amount of money the past 3 seasons, and they have zip, zero to show for it. Only one team wins every season, and last season both teams in the World Series werent really overspending the competition

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 10:53 AM)
plus, that blade cuts both ways. The Sox have been spending, spending a considerable amount over the past decade, and the fans have not really broken the turnstiles.

You cant hold the 90s against JR and then pretend like the last decade didnt happen, especially after the past offseason. Its like saying "Oh yea they spent a crazy amount of money, but still not enough because you make a lot of money"

The team actually lost money last year.

QUOTE (LDF @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 10:52 AM)

So because the White Sox don't spend $190 million on their payroll, they're cheap and don't want to win and don't want to invest fully to win it all. Because Reinsdorf doesn't want to win, he just wants to give off the perception that he cares about winning and wants to fall just short of winning the division and World Series because he's a crooked ass businessman.

Frankly, that's absolutely absurd.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 05:51 PM)

exactly and that is why the sox will do just enuf to bring in the fans without over spending to winning it all.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 05:57 PM)
So because the White Sox don't spend $190 million on their payroll, they're cheap and don't want to win and don't want to invest fully to win it all. Because Reinsdorf doesn't want to win, he just wants to give off the perception that he cares about winning and wants to fall just short of winning the division and World Series because he's a crooked ass businessman.

Frankly, that's absolutely absurd.

it is absolutely absurd to keep putting words in my mouth, i have never said spend 190. better yet, show me and others where i stated this..... come on, you are very quick to pass this judgement with a huge exaggeration, or will you disappear for a while knowing you were wrong??

QUOTE (LDF @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 11:00 AM)
exactly and that is why the sox will do just enuf to bring in the fans without over spending to winning it all.

I would buy into the fans sob story a bit more if they didn't abandon ship at the first chance. The Sox have a bandwagon fanbase, which is fine. But you can't hold it against ownership when they are leery of making too big of an investment in something they know they could lose their ass in.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 05:54 PM)
The team actually lost money last year.

and you know this, b/c you saw the books??? or b/c the FO has said so. did they include their other, considerable income associated with the team but is not under the banner of the sox parent logo.

QUOTE (LDF @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 11:00 AM)

What move would they have made that would take them from pretender to contender that would have been a justifiable long-term cost? Paying Max Scherzer $15 million each year for the next 14 years? Bringing in James Shields for $19 million a year when there's no guarantee that his acquisition promises a division title and immediately kills any chance that Samardzija is re-signed?

Fiscal responsibility is a good thing too.

QUOTE (LDF @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 11:02 AM)
it is absolutely absurd to keep putting words in my mouth, i have never said spend 190. better yet, show me and others where i stated this..... come on, you are very quick to pass this judgement with a huge exaggeration, or will you disappear for a while knowing you were wrong??

You said spend like the Dodgers or the Red Sox. They spend $190 million a year. I'm assuming by suggesting such, you are talking about a $190 million payroll.

QUOTE (LDF @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 10:33 AM)
in actuality, this goes back to the 90's. then all was needed was a hitter or better yet, a sp. the FO didn't want to invest, b/c "they didn't have the income of teams that are investing". the sox could've had more than 1 ws ring, if they would have invested. those teams of the 90's were stacked.

the only thing that the owners do is put or invest enuf to field a team, to bring in the fans. this policy has cntinued and in 2005 was pure luck and all things going the sox way.

earlier in this off season, the FO said the budget it xx amount for the team, b/c of what the sox have avail thru their imcome. this is when i stated to spout out about there hidden salary.

how many posters have stated that the sox needed to continue?? to get additional player, even stating 1 yr and out kind of a player?? this whole post was in hopes to pick up beachly. how bout the other post lately of sox getting additional players. is some way, many feel the same way.

i have always stated that the owners should be able to make a profit, but at the same time state that they didn't have the income??? isn't that a blatant lie?? or if it is lost among those fans, how bout the FO statement that the fans needs to sign up in order for the sox to spend more, will anyone state that was an warm embrace of the faithful sox fans, to black mail them??

What? In the 1996 offseason the Sox gave out the richest contract in Major League history to the number one bat on the market in Albert Belle so how can you say they didn't invest. They also gave out a fairly large contract to Jaime Navarro that same offseason. To say they wouldn't invest to fill their needs is just flat out wrong.

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 06:04 PM)
I would buy into the fans sob story a bit more if they didn't abandon ship at the first chance. The Sox have a bandwagon fanbase, which is fine. But you can't hold it against ownership when they are leery of making too big of an investment in something they know they could lose their ass in.

therein is the crux of this discussion, they are not loosing money their only income with the TV deal coming into the equation. they, the owners should expect a profit, but don't pretend to really field a team to win.