Brandon Beachy

WKamm

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 06:33 PM)
Source. JR said they were turning a profit. As for 2013, Forbes said they lost money, but I read where they included Abreu's signing bonus after the season into their figures.

It's been a very profitable team over the years if Forbes is to believed. Their current spending suggests they don't "just get by".

That said, I still don't understand how someone could be the slightest bit upset and play the cheap card over Brandon Beachy.

thank for the updates, but i believe, for me at least, this is as i said the straw that broke the camel back.

Back to the discussion of Paulino vs. Jimenez/E.Santana last year.

Except LDF is taking Marty's and Dick Allen's role.

It's understandable why they stopped where they did...if they had been able to get rid of Danks' deal, they already would have. Hopefully at some point the Cubs would be willing to revisit Danks for Ed.Jackson, but it seems unlikely to happen, that they'll just end up eating most of his contract one way or another.

In the end, signing Volquez, for example, wouldn't have completely precluded Samardzija from signing a long-term extension, but it would have been close to the death knell.

The problem with doing that would have been pushing either Noesi or Danks from the rotation, and they're unlikely to eat THAT much money turning Danks into a long man unless he goes all Barry Zito on them.

Would Sale/Shark/Quintana/Volquez/Noesi or Danks with Rodon in reserve have clinched the division? Probably not...because there's just too many other factors or variables that could go wrong.

As far as Rodon making a huge impact, you've got many examples of pitchers....Finnegan and Y. Ventura last year in the playoffs, or Francisco Liriano in 2006, just off the top of my head. Madison Bumgarner was a rookie in 2010. I'm sure there are many others, to go along with Sale out of the pen in 2010.

And Beachy's not a great example because the innings he could provide in the 2nd half could be contributed from a number of other sources. There's just no reliable track record with pitchers coming off so many injuries.

The last thing the White Sox would want is a "rehabbing" pitcher thrown into the heat of a pennant race when every game counts.

Their patience in the past lasted for exactly 3 Daniel Hudson starts, for example...and 2 of them were pretty good, actually.

Edited by caulfield12

The reality with Beachy is clear One team already ran away from him, most likely due to his medicals. The Dodgers not only have him a roster spot, but also a guaranteed amount of money, all for a guy that isn't pitching until June, at the very earliest.

The White Sox have already brought Brad Penny, Matt Albers, and Jesse Crain into camp on minor league deals, which have no promise of anything.

Sure Beachy could pan out, but the Sox have already brought themselves some lottery tickets into camp, and let's face it, Beachy probably had better options for both chances to pitch, and for money. He could have been nice to have, but isn't worth losing any sleep over. The reality is that he probably closer to Felipe Paulino then he is to Hector Noesi this year.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 12:28 PM)
And Beachy's not a great example because the innings he could provide in the 2nd half could be contributed from a number of other sources. There's just no reliable track record with pitchers coming off so many injuries.

The last thing the White Sox would want is a "rehabbing" pitcher thrown into the heat of a pennant race when every game counts.

Their patience lasted for 3 Daniel Hudson starts, for example...and 2 of them were pretty good, actually.

2 of them were awful, actually. The other one turned out OK, but he was a bit wild. He all of a sudden became lights out as soon as he was traded.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 12:34 PM)
2 of them were awful, actually. The other one turned out OK, but he was a bit wild. He all of a sudden became lights out as soon as he was traded.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/gamelog/_/id...0/daniel-hudson

I'll amend it, one really good, one so-so and one terrible.

To say a game when you're taking an 8-3 lead into the top of the 5th inning and trying to get through it for your first major league win in your debut is "terrible," well, the team ended up winning the game 15-5 (against KC), so he didn't hurt the Sox...performing well enough for them to win in 2/3 games, which is all you can expect out of a rookie call-up.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 12:46 PM)
http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/gamelog/_/id...0/daniel-hudson

I'll amend it, one really good, one so-so and one terrible.

To say a game when you're taking an 8-3 lead into the top of the 5th inning and trying to get through it for your first major league win in your debut is "terrible," well, the team ended up winning the game 15-5 (against KC), so he didn't hurt the Sox...performing well enough for them to win in 2/3 games, which is all you can expect out of a rookie call-up.

First off, it wasn't his major league debut. Secondly, a big lead and you get 4 innings and 5 runs out of your starter is not so so. It is turrble. Third, he wasn't trying to get his first major league win. That occurred the season before. Other than just about everything, your post is spot on.

Edited by Dick Allen

Well, this thread has probably surpassed the number of pages on all other 29 teams' (including the Dodgers) websites devoted to the subject of Brandon Beachy.

There's that.

And yes, it was pretty silly to forget 2009 happened. I was too enamored with Gordon Beckham's golden flowing locks, lol. Maybe that's the curse of living and working in Thailand at that time, too many distractions.

It happens to everyone, haha.

But talking to Jeter, the Yankees’ shortstop, was different, Beckham said. He admits he was star-struck.

“He was the only one who made me feel that way,” said Beckham, who is now with the Los Angeles Angels, “and I felt that way so much, I forgot how many outs there were.”

The next batter hit a ground ball to Jeter, who threw to first for the second out. Beckham, still distracted from the conversation with Jeter, thought it was the final out. He wandered off third and handed his helmet to the third-base coach. Mark Teixeira saw that and threw to Alex Rodriguez, who tagged an embarrassed Beckham for the third out.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/25/sports/b...jeter.html?_r=0

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 24, 2015 -> 01:53 AM)
Well, this thread has probably surpassed the number of pages on all other 29 teams' (including the Dodgers) websites devoted to the subject of Brandon Beachy.

There's that.

And yes, it was pretty silly to forget 2009 happened. I was too enamored with Gordon Beckham's golden flowing locks, lol. Maybe that's the curse of living and working in Thailand at that time, too many distractions.

i really enjoyed this, i was on the firing line but it was all good. bos is going to be tough.

sox baseball. not everyone will have the same opinions.

just remember one thing,

sox in 2015....

QUOTE (LDF @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 07:56 PM)
i really enjoyed this, i was on the firing line but it was all good. bos is going to be tough.

sox baseball. not everyone will have the same opinions.

just remember one thing,

sox in 2015....

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-leag...-180845308.html

Maybe this will make you feel better. Yankees fans furious they lost Moncada to the Red Sox, saying that it would never have happened with George Steinbrenner still running the team, he would be turning over in his grave, etc. Of course, if Moncada becomes a breakout star, they'll have to watch him beat them up on the field 19 times per season for at least six more years.

Kris Medlen going on to have huge success with the Royals later this season and in 2016 would burn the Sox a lot more than anything Beachy does.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/02/d-ba...n-contract.html

Diamondbacks the latest to sign a bigger tv deal...putting them in the low $90's just for their regional sports network

Based on this number, the Mariners' new deal (started in 2014)...and where the D-Backs franchise is at the moment, the White Sox have to be shooting for $140-180 million per season in 2019, not taking into consideration their revenues from the national baseball contract as well as MLB Media.

the increased revenue won’t vault the D-Backs into the division-rival Dodgers’ financial stratosphere. The Dodgers’ TV deal averages out to roughly $334MM annually, according to a Forbes report from March 2014, trailing only the Yankees, whose annual revenue from the YES Network averages out to about $385MM.

Recent examples of this type of mega-contract include the Rangers, Mariners and Phillies, each of whom have AAVs in excess of $140MM, per Forbes. Piecoro notes that since the Rangers signed their 20-year, $1.7 billion deal in 2010, nearly a third of the teams in the league have inked similar contracts. Per Forbes, the previous top 10 television revenues belonged to the Yankees, Dodgers, Phillies (20 years, $2.5 billion), Rangers, Angels, Mariners, Mets, Red Sox, Giants and Padres.

Edited by caulfield12