Davidson intends to enjoy reset button

southsider2k5

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 22, 2015 -> 10:03 AM)
He's played like 6 games at home. That sample size means nothing in terms of ballpark effect.

He's actually improved. He's going up the middle and oppo, his core numbers are much better. His defense is improved. Seven of those K's came in the first three games.

I mean, if we are going to deal in small sample sizes, then here is his line since the first three games: .290/.333/.419, 1 HR, 1 2B, 8 K in 33 PA (24.2% K/PA).

Yeah, at this point of the season you are looking much more at approach and technique versus being too worried about actual results. There is still so much slop involved because of sample sizes, for good or bad stats.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 22, 2015 -> 03:03 PM)
He's played like 6 games at home. That sample size means nothing in terms of ballpark effect.

He's actually improved. He's going up the middle and oppo, his core numbers are much better. His defense is improved. Seven of those K's came in the first three games.

I mean, if we are going to deal in small sample sizes, then here is his line since the first three games: .290/.333/.419, 1 HR, 1 2B, 8 K in 33 PA (24.2% K/PA).

coming into this season, i had little to no hope for Davidson, but i was doing the home town backing of give him a chance. i am still hoping for that, and i will admit, what ever or how much he can improve, is good. better than not having nothing there. i really like to reevaluate him come ASG and see how he is doing.

he had to have some talent for Hahn to trade for him.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 22, 2015 -> 10:03 AM)

Not that it matters, but he's played 8 of 11 games at Charlotte.

And I didn't say he hasn't improved, I just said those numbers are terrible, which is a true statement. Obviously it's early and he could be victim of a small sample size, but I don't see enough in his full-season or the partial season numbers you provided to get excited about Davidson again. A .750 OPS doesn't cut it for me, especially when playing for Charlotte (again, I get it's still early and sample sizes are limited).

Having said that, hopefully the adjustments he's made will translate to legimate results as the season progresses.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 22, 2015 -> 07:57 PM)
While I get your point, it's a little too early to be calling out his splits. Especially since he's been significantly better on the road (3 games) than he has on at home (8 games). It's all samples. If he's still in the minors when it's almost August than we have an appropriate, but still likely insufficient, sample.

As far as Charlotte's park, I looked into the park effect on certain players last year when Wilkins was ruining the world. Some players had serious home splits, others were better on the road and some were basically the same. Davidson was one of the guy who was effectively the same. It's not as if it's Coors Field where more than 75% of players are a completely different animal at home. As for Wilkins, incredibly, I think he was better on the road IIRC.

Here's a quote I'm going to steal from SouthSideSox.com's Charlotte preview:

Only High Desert fans witnessed more home runs per game in 2014 than Charlotte in its brand-new BB&T Park. The Knights and their opponents averaged 2.65 bombs per game in a cozy downtown ballpark that has a restricted footprint based on a limited lot size. Pull hitters appreciate the short foul poles in left (325 feet) and right (315) field. Charlotte led the International League in runs scored (699), home runs (176) and runs allowed (767). They finished a close second in home runs allowed (130).

Only one other International League park saw more than two home runs per game last year: Columbus at 2.07.

As for me calling out the park factor, all I'm saying is his current production would be very unimpressive over a full season if you assume half his games were played in Charlotte's park. And let me make this clear, I'm not saying Davidson sucks because of his first 11 games of the season, I'm stating that they do nothing to get me excited about his prospect status again. I've read in at least a couple game threads that Davidson could be an option at 3B "if he keeps hitting well". I really don't know how anyone can look at those numbers and jump to that conclusion. That's really all I'm arguing here.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 22, 2015 -> 11:28 PM)
How did Viciedo become relevant here?

They dumped Viciedo...which has been validated by the fact that nobody has picked him up, as of yet (maybe he's waiting for the right opportunity/injury to crop up).

At any rate, there's a HUGE question mark in the minds of many whether Avisail Garcia's capable of being a SOLID #5 spot hitter, especially in terms of power and his swing mechanics (more line drives/doubles than homers).

Who's the best candidate to fill in that RH power gap if Garcia doesn't become the player he's expected to become?

One is Davidson, the other is Courtney Hawkins...with Trayce Thompson having an outside chance because he would bring "plus" defense to another corner position, which is sorely lacking since Garcia and Melky are both below average fielders and Melky's getting older by the day.

And I don't think anyone in the organization views Tim Anderson as anything besides a 1-2 or 7-8-9 guy at the big league level initially...at least not until he matures into his body and starts putting up more power numbers up on the board.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 22, 2015 -> 10:25 PM)
Your logic is valid but I don't think you're accounting for the low barrier for entry. The guy who is in front of Davidson happened put up a 101 OPS+ as 24 year old in the PCL in almost 500 PAs, he got a chance right after that. If Davidson hits how he has this season, and can field any bit better than Gillaspie, I would think Davidson gets a chance.

I believe Gillaspie's wRC+ is 65 since the All Star Break last season.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 23, 2015 -> 06:50 AM)
They dumped Viciedo...which has been validated by the fact that nobody has picked him up, as of yet (maybe he's waiting for the right opportunity/injury to crop up).

At any rate, there's a HUGE question mark in the minds of many whether Avisail Garcia's capable of being a SOLID #5 spot hitter, especially in terms of power and his swing mechanics (more line drives/doubles than homers).

Who's the best candidate to fill in that RH power gap if Garcia doesn't become the player he's expected to become?

One is Davidson, the other is Courtney Hawkins...with Trayce Thompson having an outside chance because he would bring "plus" defense to another corner position, which is sorely lacking since Garcia and Melky are both below average fielders and Melky's getting older by the day.

And I don't think anyone in the organization views Tim Anderson as anything besides a 1-2 or 7-8-9 guy at the big league level initially...at least not until he matures into his body and starts putting up more power numbers up on the board.

i think 1,2-7 would be ideal. maybe not a #2. if this team continues to improve and the prospects keeps replacing the vets, i can see a good value of keeping anderson in those idea spots

QUOTE (LDF @ Apr 23, 2015 -> 07:35 AM)
i think 1,2-7 would be ideal. maybe not a #2. if this team continues to improve and the prospects keeps replacing the vets, i can see a good value of keeping anderson in those idea spots

His walk rate is too low right now for 2...he'd have to be 7-9.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Apr 25, 2015 -> 10:40 AM)
14 games in:

PA: 57

H: 14

HR: 3

XBH: 5

RBI: 7

BB: 4

K: 17

AVG: .275

OBP: .351

SLG: .490

Obviously a small sample size but a bit of an encouraging start (minus the K's)

If he can have this line in July, I will do a jig.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 25, 2015 -> 09:50 AM)

Maybe a rhythmic shuffle, but not a full-on jig. 840 OPS in Charlotte's bandbox probably won't translate so well to the bigs. But it is a major improvement - need to see more.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 25, 2015 -> 10:50 AM)

He will be up by then if he has that.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 25, 2015 -> 03:14 PM)
His OPS at Charlotte is .680 and away is 1.079. Either way, samples are too small.

Considering it looks like the Charlotte stadium is very hitter friendly, to me it is encouraging that he is hitting away from home.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 27, 2015 -> 08:39 AM)
Please let's stop using ballpark factor as if it is meaningful in 2 weeks' worth of games. The effect isn't even all that huge over a full season, let alone such a short sample.

Agreed. It's like saying we should be worried about the guys on our MLB team who 0-1 homers. The Cell is very hitter friendly.

I think he fans way too much to be much of a major league player. Hopefully he puts up numbers big enough to where the Sox could trade him to a team doing a salary dump willing to take the longshot odds and making it look to their fanbase like they got something pretty legitimate.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 27, 2015 -> 11:32 AM)
I think he fans way too much to be much of a major league player. Hopefully he puts up numbers big enough to where the Sox could trade him to a team doing a salary dump willing to take the longshot odds and making it look to their fanbase like they got something pretty legitimate.

That's the bigger problem - the swing and miss in his game. Thing is, until yesterday at least, he had been making some progress at the plate - striking out less, and working to go oppo and to center field. And it was working for him. He had not only posted a .300/.378/.500 line from the 4th game until last night (11 games), but he'd also "only" struck out in 22% of his plate appearances, which is actually close to a mid-line rate. Then last night he grabbed the golden sombrero.

I've also seen people talking about positive changes on defense. At this point his chances of becoming a MLB starter are pretty slim, but they aren't zero, and I'm not ready to write him off just yet. He's got next to no trade value, so he's more valuable to the team as a guy trying to turn it around. I'd keep him right where he is for a while.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 27, 2015 -> 05:44 PM)
That's the bigger problem - the swing and miss in his game. Thing is, until yesterday at least, he had been making some progress at the plate - striking out less, and working to go oppo and to center field. And it was working for him. He had not only posted a .300/.378/.500 line from the 4th game until last night (11 games), but he'd also "only" struck out in 22% of his plate appearances, which is actually close to a mid-line rate. Then last night he grabbed the golden sombrero.

I've also seen people talking about positive changes on defense. At this point his chances of becoming a MLB starter are pretty slim, but they aren't zero, and I'm not ready to write him off just yet. He's got next to no trade value, so he's more valuable to the team as a guy trying to turn it around. I'd keep him right where he is for a while.

as of right now, i am still willing to do a wait and see how he develops in this round of his developmental stage.

if he can post a decent avg, nice power, and an ok hit/k's ratio, then he maybe a trade candidate who is looking for a Dunn type of a hitter.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 27, 2015 -> 08:39 AM)
Please let's stop using ballpark factor as if it is meaningful in 2 weeks' worth of games. The effect isn't even all that huge over a full season, let alone such a short sample.

You're saying the ballpark factor at Charlotte isn't that significant or that ballpark factors in general aren't?

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 27, 2015 -> 08:12 PM)
You're saying the ballpark factor at Charlotte isn't that significant or that ballpark factors in general aren't?

I'm saying ballpark factors on a specific player tend to get overblown, and their effect in a single season is often pretty small or negligible. You have to look at splits too, but even then it may not be as reliable an indicator as people make it. But mostly what I'm getting at is, even if ballpark factor for a specific park is significant across a season on a player, it sure as heck doesn't mean much in 6 games. In fact I'd say it means nothing in that scale.

• 2 weeks later...