2015-2016 NFL Thread

QUOTE (scs787 @ Mar 12, 2015 -> 01:22 PM)
Murray to the Eagles. Makes the McCoy trade look a lot better now. Both Murray and Alonso are making less combined than McCoy.

Josh Norris retweeting old tweets from Eagles fans is fantastic.

It looks like something is going on with Ryan Mathews' deal with the Eagles. He hasn't signed his contract and he went for some "off-site" physical. It would be extremely lame for the Eagles to try and get out of their deal with Mathews because they changed their mind and wanted Murray.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 12, 2015 -> 01:24 PM)
It would all be great, if they didn't increase their QB salary by $10 million without actually upgrading the talent at the position.

Well ya, there is that part of the Eagles, but I'd say giving McCoy for Murray and Alonso +1M is a win from that standpoint.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Mar 12, 2015 -> 01:22 PM)
Murray to the Eagles. Makes the McCoy trade look a lot better now. Both Murray and Alonso are making less combined than McCoy.

Josh Norris retweeting old tweets from Eagles fans is fantastic.

McCoy 5/40 26.5 guaranteed

Alonso on rookie contract, this year will make around 750K, next year 940K, UFA in 2017

Murray 5/42 21 Guaranteed

Then lets go ahead and look at

Nick Foles 1.3M

Sam Bradford 12.3M

lets not act like Chip Kelly just saved millions. Because he didnt

So Jared Allen has a fully guaranteed 12.5 mill cap hit for next year.

One reason why nobody should listen to my opinions on football is I was super pumped about that. Man were the packers dumb signing peppers!

d'oh.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 13, 2015 -> 09:35 AM)
So Jared Allen has a fully guaranteed 12.5 mill cap hit for next year.

One reason why nobody should listen to my opinions on football is I was super pumped about that. Man were the packers dumb signing peppers!

d'oh.

Peppers and Allen are two seperate issues though. IIRC if the Bears kept Peppers, his cap hit last season was something ridiculous like 24 million, the Bears had to get out from under that. It sucks that Allen fell off the cliff, but they still saved money by getting rid of Peppers

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 13, 2015 -> 09:39 AM)
Peppers and Allen are two seperate issues though. IIRC if the Bears kept Peppers, his cap hit last season was something ridiculous like 24 million, the Bears had to get out from under that. It sucks that Allen fell off the cliff, but they still saved money by getting rid of Peppers

And I doubt Peppers would have played that much better than Allen in the Bears system. He succeeded in GB because he slimmed down for the OLB spot in the 3-4.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 13, 2015 -> 09:39 AM)

It wasn't a separate issue last year. There was a "allen contract v peppers contract' and everyone thought pack were crazy signing peppers at age 34 to that money! Allen is 2 years younger and way better!

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 13, 2015 -> 09:44 AM)
It wasn't a separate issue last year. There was a "allen contract v peppers contract' and everyone thought pack were crazy signing peppers at age 34 to that money! Allen is 2 years younger and way better!

It wasnt a seperate issue to the fans maybe, but the Bears had to do it. I wasnt and I am still not mad that they did it. I was somewhat skeptical that Peppers could play OLB, but in the back of my mind I knew that Peppers was a freak and he could probably do it(even though I wanted him to fail because he was on the packers)

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 13, 2015 -> 10:00 AM)
It wasnt a seperate issue to the fans maybe, but the Bears had to do it. I wasnt and I am still not mad that they did it. I was somewhat skeptical that Peppers could play OLB, but in the back of my mind I knew that Peppers was a freak and he could probably do it(even though I wanted him to fail because he was on the packers)

I am fine, and still fine, with cutting peppers. But I would be much happier today had we never signed Allen and stopped at Houston/Young.

Honestly when I think about our d next year, I don't even consider Allen a part of it.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 13, 2015 -> 10:09 AM)
Allen is gonna be a weird thing next season. He is really a man without a position in this defense

Yeah. . . seeing Allen playing stand-up OLB is gonna be ugly. Maybe he puts on some weight and tries to play 5-tech? I don't think that will look good, either. Gotta wonder if he'd agree to some type of buyout . . . get a chance to play for a SB contender.

What is even worse about it is Allen has apparently been vocal in the past about not wanting to ever play in a 3-4. He knows he doesnt fit that scheme and now he is going to be asked to try to fit in probably the last year of his career. I dont see how this works out with for him.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 13, 2015 -> 10:18 AM)
was KC a 4-3 defense when Allen was there? I could have sworn they have been 3-4 forever

I am pretty sure it was 4-3 when he was there. I heard from two different reports that he has never been in a 3-4 defense unless they were both wrong.

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 13, 2015 -> 10:15 AM)
What is even worse about it is Allen has apparently been vocal in the past about not wanting to ever play in a 3-4. He knows he doesnt fit that scheme and now he is going to be asked to try to fit in probably the last year of his career. I dont see how this works out with for him.

$12.5 million has a way of changing one's mind.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 13, 2015 -> 10:36 AM)
$12.5 million has a way of changing one's mind.

Well he has no choice no matter how much they are going to pay him if they dont trade or cut him and I dont see any of those two things happening.

Allen has been nothing but a team player. We sucked last year and he was disappointing but as the season progressed and he got back into shape, he played better and more active. Dude lost a lot of weight in the early part of the season and the first few games of the year were not against teams where he was going to rack up sack numbers. Not to mention no defense ran by Mel Tucker has ever had anyone really put up any sort of prolific sack numbers (his defenses consistently failed to cause pressure).

We make a big deal about what he said in the past with another team but he's said all the right things in Chicago. I have no idea how he is going to play as a linebacker but you know what, guy has a motor and plays hard and can still be effective in situational plays. Worth the money he is getting, no, especially not in this system, but thank Emery for that, don't blame Allen.

I think Allen COULD fit in some packages.

Here's a picture of one of the looks Fangio had last year.

IZ75o1C.0.jpg

That's Aldon Smith lined up outside the tackle with his hand in the dirt. Something like that I can still see Allen being alright in.

As far as lining up as a 3-4 DE, I don't see, even if he beefs up. He's weak, and has only really thrived at playing in space and winning with speed/length/technique. When lined up inside, when they run a more traditional 3-4 package, I think your 3-4 ends have to win with power for the most part. Powerful is one thing Allen isn't.

Fun little fact about Allen I just saw. At the combine he only did 13 reps. That number was worse than everyone but a handful of secondary guys and 2 TEs.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Mar 13, 2015 -> 09:23 AM)
Rams signed Nick Fairley to a 1 year deal. Rams DL looks like this Quinn, Long at DE and Brockers, Donald and Fairley at DT. That's gotta be the most talented front four in all of football.

And they should have some stability at QB. I don't think Foles is some great QB, but he's better than what they have had in a long time (given that Bradford could never stay on the field).