Job Thread

Chi Town Sox

21 minutes ago, pettie4sox said:

Sorry to break up the discussion but I have a real grade 'A' predicament on my hands.

I was laid off from my full time job at the end of January.  I took a contract position that is relatively close to my home and took a small pay cut as a result.  This position is a regulatory paper pusher position in a pharma company but I'm a pharmaceutical chemist by trade.  My partner and I have a car, but it's hers and she uses it when she does have to commute to work which is 2 days a week.  

Today I had an interview at a medical device/pharma company for a research and development chemist position.  Now this position is ideal because I will open the door to new marketable skills that I have not had before.  By the time I got home, they had already extended me an offer for the position.  I want to take this position because of the marketable skills and the company culture but the downside is the pay is lower due to my lack of experience in research and I would have to buy a car myself to commute to this position.  This is a long shot before I turn it down but does anyone on the forum have any good ideas on what some viable alternatives would be?

Thanks in advanced no matter what kind of responses are given.

How significant would the pay cut be and could you manage? Would the skills you obtain help you after a year of employment and would that give you enough to use those skills at another company making more money? And is there a chance to counter for some more money?

Just now, The Beast said:

How significant would the pay cut be and could you manage? Would the skills you obtain help you after a year of employment and would that give you enough to use those skills at another company making more money? And is there a chance to counter for some more money?

The paycut is about 12k so somewhat significant but these skills would open up new and better opportunities.  The money is rigid due to my lack of experience but apparently I was hired because I was honest about it and expressed a desire to learn.

3 hours ago, pettie4sox said:

The paycut is about 12k so somewhat significant but these skills would open up new and better opportunities.  The money is rigid due to my lack of experience but apparently I was hired because I was honest about it and expressed a desire to learn.

Knowing nothing about your financial situation or geographic area...can you really not buy a car? Do you have anything in savings (or an emergency fund)? There are 385 cars on cars.com for $2,000 or less and less than 100,000 miles. If this is a great opportunity, then you can get by on a clunker for a bit and upgrade when the time is right. Right?

Not trying to be condescending, but I think this can be overcome relatively simply.

15 hours ago, pettie4sox said:

Sorry to break up the discussion but I have a real grade 'A' predicament on my hands.

I was laid off from my full time job at the end of January.  I took a contract position that is relatively close to my home and took a small pay cut as a result.  This position is a regulatory paper pusher position in a pharma company but I'm a pharmaceutical chemist by trade.  My partner and I have a car, but it's hers and she uses it when she does have to commute to work which is 2 days a week.  

Today I had an interview at a medical device/pharma company for a research and development chemist position.  Now this position is ideal because I will open the door to new marketable skills that I have not had before.  By the time I got home, they had already extended me an offer for the position.  I want to take this position because of the marketable skills and the company culture but the downside is the pay is lower due to my lack of experience in research and I would have to buy a car myself to commute to this position.  This is a long shot before I turn it down but does anyone on the forum have any good ideas on what some viable alternatives would be?

Thanks in advanced no matter what kind of responses are given.

I assume you looked into this already, but, are you sure there isn't a mass transit option? You are talking about a med/pharma company, and I know a few of those around the north burbs. ALL of them have shuttles to/from Metra stations, and some are also on bus routes.

On 2/18/2020 at 8:35 AM, Iwritecode said:

I'm starting to believe that anything would be better than what we have now. Here's a nice story about a woman that is literally getting paid to travel to Mexico to get cheaper prescription drugs.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/utah-sends-employees-mexico-lower-prescription-prices-68861516

John Oliver referenced this Sunday. Pretty crazy

59 minutes ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

I assume you looked into this already, but, are you sure there isn't a mass transit option? You are talking about a med/pharma company, and I know a few of those around the north burbs. ALL of them have shuttles to/from Metra stations, and some are also on bus routes.

Yeah this one did not.  I was working at one of those north suburbs pharma companies with a shuttle up to recently.  That was one of the first things I looked for since it seemed common with most around there.

19 hours ago, pettie4sox said:

I would find a way to take the position for a year, get the skills under your belt, take the hit financially and then leave for somewhere else once you have gotten the experience. It’s easier said than done but those are my initial thoughts.

I have enjoyed ptatc's posts on healthcare. Even though I'm fed up with fees that insurance companies reject, I have often wondered if the government run healthcare would be a disasger and ptatc indicates it will be.

This is what I want to hear from politicians. Does anybody really trust that the government can run medicare for all? Health care for all for free? My guess is it will be a fricking disaster. Politicians ought to just say that. As much as "liberal" people want free healthcare, odds are it will be run so poorly it will harm our country. Just say it, politicians. Our government will not run healthcare efficiently.

15 hours ago, greg775 said:

I have enjoyed ptatc's posts on healthcare. Even though I'm fed up with fees that insurance companies reject, I have often wondered if the government run healthcare would be a disasger and ptatc indicates it will be.

This is what I want to hear from politicians. Does anybody really trust that the government can run medicare for all? Health care for all for free? My guess is it will be a fricking disaster. Politicians ought to just say that. As much as "liberal" people want free healthcare, odds are it will be run so poorly it will harm our country. Just say it, politicians. Our government will not run healthcare efficiently.

Do you think our current system is run efficiently?

8 hours ago, Iwritecode said:

Do you think our current system is run efficiently?

I'm upset, very upset that our current insurance providers fricking will not pay 100 percent of our expensive medical costs. For instance one serious illness/hospital stay can cost you so much money. Let's say the bill is 80,000 bucks. You'll be lucky if insurance pays 20,000. That's why I ask about possibly voting for somebody with universal health care/free!! I am upset at pharm costs for drugs and the fact insurance companies are rotten to the core in not paying 100 percent of our medical costs.

17 hours ago, greg775 said:

I'm upset, very upset that our current insurance providers fricking will not pay 100 percent of our expensive medical costs. For instance one serious illness/hospital stay can cost you so much money. Let's say the bill is 80,000 bucks. You'll be lucky if insurance pays 20,000. That's why I ask about possibly voting for somebody with universal health care/free!! I am upset at pharm costs for drugs and the fact insurance companies are rotten to the core in not paying 100 percent of our medical costs.

Greg, the issue is that Healthcare cannot be allowed to be run in a pure capitalistic sense. It defeats the purpose. You have to take the profit motive out, as leaving it in just leads to abuses. 

There are certain industries that having a profit motive is actually a bad thing. Healthcare is one, and education is another. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

Greg, the issue is that Healthcare cannot be allowed to be run in a pure capitalistic sense. It defeats the purpose. You have to take the profit motive out, as leaving it in just leads to abuses. 

There are certain industries that having a profit motive is actually a bad thing. Healthcare is one, and education is another. 

People will pay for the best healthcare available thus it will always be a for profit industry.

8 minutes ago, ptatc said:

People will pay for the best healthcare available thus it will always be a for profit industry.

Not if you can't afford it. Also, think about how your paycheck actually goes up if healthcare isn't the responsibility of your employer. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

19 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Not if you can't afford it. Also, think about how your paycheck actually goes up if healthcare isn't the responsibility of your employer. 

If you can't afford it then you are automatically saying that you are getting inferior care. At least in the current system the best care is available with insurance to many people. If the government runs it, it becomes available to any fewer people.

On 2/22/2020 at 5:56 PM, ptatc said:

How do you determine who has the "best" healthcare though?  Just because it costs more, doesn't necessarily mean it's better. It's all completely subjective. Is one doctor better than the other because he runs more tests? Because he knows more? Because he went to a different school? Because you simply feel more comfortable talking to him?

And for most people, they only get to choose from a group that accepts their specific insurance. So if there are "better" doctors out there that I've never been to I'll never know it. Healthcare isn't typically something that you get to "try out" to see if you like one better than the other. 

And it's not like there are (AFAIK) any kind of published rankings or statistics for doctors that we can read to easily research which doctor is better than another.

Edited by Iwritecode

Having insurance provided by employers is the biggest restriction of true freedom for Americans.

How many people stay at jobs they hate because of good health benefits?
How many people would take a chance a start a business if health benefits weren't tied to employers?
How many people after losing/changing jobs have to hold off on health care because they have to wait for the health benefits to kick in?

The system needs to be overhauled no doubt.  Maybe medicare for all is not the answer most would like to see but get rid of employer based health care plans and have all these insurance companies compete for business the old fashioned free market way.  Better coverage/benefits for the best price and may the weakest providers be thrown into the grinder.  It obviously needs to be super regulated but that way people don't have to great anxiety about how to get covered if your employer based health plans absolute hot booty grease.  Deductibles should be based on your salary and capped accordingly.  OOP maxes as well.  Premiums as well.

I am in between jobs right now and in health care purgatory waiting for my new benefits to kick in.  Fingers crossed I don't need any health care until April.  What kind of freedom is that shit?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pettie4sox said:

Anyone have any good ideas/prospects for weekend only second jobs?

Also interested in this. Wouldn't mind having a second income. I have considered letting a friend who move into the guest room in my condo so I can make money off my unused space but I just enjoy my privacy too much. 

6 hours ago, pettie4sox said:

I am in between jobs right now and in health care purgatory waiting for my new benefits to kick in.  Fingers crossed I don't need any health care until April.  What kind of freedom is that shit?

Sorry you're in that situation, but freedom is about negative rights, not positive ones.

4 hours ago, lane said:

Sorry you're in that situation, but freedom is about negative rights, not positive ones.

I don't need your patronizing comment, son.  I'm saying we can do better and we need to stop putting our heads in the sand.

5 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

Also interested in this. Wouldn't mind having a second income. I have considered letting a friend who move into the guest room in my condo so I can make money off my unused space but I just enjoy my privacy too much. 

Airbnb but for only short stints?