Brad Penny touching 94, leading candidate for 5th starter

southsider2k5

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 19, 2015 -> 05:27 PM)
On April 1, the Sox either need to add him to the roster, cut him, or give him a $100,000 bonus to report to the minor leagues. I think he will be cut.

Yea and they will have to make room on the 40 man right? I just don't see it. Unless they cut Beckham and add Penny I'd be down for that just for the LUOLZ.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Mar 19, 2015 -> 05:22 PM)
Who do you want getting the 5th starter spot while Sale is out, DA?

Why will they need a 5th starter?

Monday April 6th at KC Samardzija/Quintana

Wednesday April 8th at KC Samardzija/Quintana

Thursday April 9th at KC John Danks

Friday April 10th Home vs Twins Hector Noesi

Saturday April 11th- Quintana/Samardzija (on regular rest)

Sunday April 12th-Sale.

I'm not really understanding why they need a 5th starter if Sale pitches on the 12th.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 19, 2015 -> 09:54 PM)
Why will they need a 5th starter?

Monday April 6th at KC Samardzija/Quintana

Wednesday April 8th at KC Samardzija/Quintana

Thursday April 9th at KC John Danks

Friday April 10th Home vs Twins Hector Noesi

Saturday April 11th- Quintana/Samardzija (on regular rest)

Sunday April 12th-Sale.

I'm not really understanding why they need a 5th starter if Sale pitches on the 12th.

ESPN quoted Cooper as saying Sale could be late April. They think he will be ready on the 12th but want to be careful.

If the White Sox are thinking of putting Brad Penny in the rotation they must have as much confidence in Danks and Noesi as I do, which is none. There are also rumors the bad guys on the Northside are going to move Travis Wood. I would think the White Sox would be interested in him. Needless to say the White Sox have to improve the back of the rotation if they want to get into the 2015 Playoffs.

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Mar 20, 2015 -> 02:55 PM)
If the White Sox are thinking of putting Brad Penny in the rotation they must have as much confidence in Danks and Noesi as I do, which is none. There are also rumors the bad guys on the Northside are going to move Travis Wood. I would think the White Sox would be interested in him. Needless to say the White Sox have to improve the back of the rotation if they want to get into the 2015 Playoffs.

bingo, i was thinking of him yesterday about finding a better option on the waiver list. i would even trade for him, depending on the cost.

i just want another sp to be there for 2 things, insurance for an injury and to help in the dog's day of summer, to help the pitchers with their workload for the run at a playoff spot.

QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 20, 2015 -> 08:00 AM)
bingo, i was thinking of him yesterday about finding a better option on the waiver list. i would even trade for him, depending on the cost.

i just want another sp to be there for 2 things, insurance for an injury and to help in the dog's day of summer, to help the pitchers with their workload for the run at a playoff spot.

Just say no. If we acquire another depth arm, I'd like him to be better than TW.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Mar 20, 2015 -> 05:01 PM)
Just say no. If we acquire another depth arm, I'd like him to be better than TW.

so would i, but unless the sox trade for 1, the only pool to pick will be the waiver list. re TW, he still maybe better than Penny.

QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 20, 2015 -> 10:47 AM)
so would i, but unless the sox trade for 1, the only pool to pick will be the waiver list. re TW, he still maybe better than Penny.

He is better than Penny. He also makes almost $6M in his 2nd arb year. Don't see that expense being worth it, or Theo wanting to send cash with him.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Mar 20, 2015 -> 06:41 PM)
I don't see any reason that the Cubs would be looking to move their own pitching depth at this point.

in most cases you would be right, but they have players with no options and may be lost on the waiver list. if it is him, other players should be avail.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Mar 20, 2015 -> 06:45 PM)
He is better than Penny. He also makes almost $6M in his 2nd arb year. Don't see that expense being worth it, or Theo wanting to send cash with him.

again, you maybe right, but this expense, would it be worth it, if he help in getting the team to the playoff??

QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 20, 2015 -> 12:50 PM)
in most cases you would be right, but they have players with no options and may be lost on the waiver list. if it is him, other players should be avail.

According to Roster Resource (awesome website if anyone isn't aware of it), Wood and Turner are the only projected starters that are out of options, but it looks like they're going to be able to stash Turner on the DL for OD. Edwin Jackson definitely appears to be the odd man out when Turner comes back, though.

http://www.rosterresource.com/mlb-chicago-cubs/

QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 20, 2015 -> 12:52 PM)
i leave that part of the stats to yous guys, who are way smarter than i in this area.

He basically looked just a touch better than John Danks last year, statistically. He's only a year removed from being really solid, though.

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Mar 20, 2015 -> 06:55 PM)
According to Roster Resource (awesome website if anyone isn't aware of it), Wood and Turner are the only projected starters that are out of options, but it looks like they're going to be able to stash Turner on the DL for OD. Edwin Jackson definitely appears to be the odd man out when Turner comes back, though.

http://www.rosterresource.com/mlb-chicago-cubs/

and where does that leave wood??

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Mar 20, 2015 -> 06:57 PM)
He basically looked just a touch better than John Danks last year, statistically. He's only a year removed from being really solid, though.

either way, he will be better than penny.

btw, thanks for the site, i bookmark it. another great sports site to read.

QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 20, 2015 -> 11:51 AM)
again, you maybe right, but this expense, would it be worth it, if he help in getting the team to the playoff??

I view Rodon, Penny, Carroll, Johnson, Beck as the sixth starters onward this season, in that order as we sit on March 20, and go with that and reevaluate in June/July as far as further acquisitions go, whether trading Danks is possible, or wise, etc. Unless an attractive, cheap, at least better-than -Penny option presents itself, I guess I'm content. I just hope RH doesn't feel the need to go shopping before that June/July time frame.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen